• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2021 Offseason Thread

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Golden Tate got released. He is Willie Snead but 3 times better and no comp pic. Announce it now!

Didn't watch him much in New York. Can he still play?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I don’t think we’ll be coming away with one of the prized free agent WRs, so I really want Marvin Jones here. Never really was a fan of Corey Davis. Marvin would be the perfect type of WR for Lamar and he’s only 30. I’m not even looking at anyone else, let alone Watkins or Green. Signing him and one of Lindsley and Thuney would make the draft so exciting.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Is he really done or just a product of having Daniel Jones at QB? I feel he could do better with Lamar throwing him the ball compared to Jones.

He's done, as far as I'm concerned. If you're barely a factor on an offense missing Saquon and having no other real stand-out threat at WR then you're starting to lose it. I'm sure Lamar could pump up his stats a bit, but I'd much rather get someone else.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I think we need atleast two new starters on oline( if brown is traded), vet wr + rookie and a pass rusher.. is this possible?

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think we need atleast two new starters on oline( if brown is traded), vet wr + rookie and a pass rusher.. is this possible?
Possible? Yes. All in FA, no.

And we need a LOT more than just one pass rusher. Judon, Bowser and Yannick are all FA. If none of them come back, who's the pass rushing group. We're all just assuming we can retain at least one of those guys.

We also need youth/depth on the Dline, we need to at least two Tackles alone (assuming Brown gets traded) and that's before we hit the "upgrade" spots, like TE, Safety, etc. Zero depth at Safety either.

Obviously, we're not getting all of that nor are we getting close to all of that.

I keep telling people in regards to the Oline... you need depth as much as you need starters. Ignoring the idea that you'll need to replace Brown if you trade him... who's the 3rd Tackle? It would be pure luck if Stanley and whoever is playing the right side play all 16 games without being injured.

At least on the interior, if you add a Center or a Guard, you've got depth there. Ben Powers would be a pretty solid 3rd Guard in my opinion. I'd really have no issue with TCC or even Mekari as a backup Center either.

Tackle is the biggest concern on this team if you trade away Brown, and I don't even think its close.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I don’t think we’ll be coming away with one of the prized free agent WRs, so I really want Marvin Jones here. Never really was a fan of Corey Davis. Marvin would be the perfect type of WR for Lamar and he’s only 30. I’m not even looking at anyone else, let alone Watkins or Green. Signing him and one of Lindsley and Thuney would make the draft so exciting.
I always have liked Marvin Jones and he’s been one of my low key FA wants, but I do like Corey Davis for this offense.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Possible? Yes. All in FA, no.

And we need a LOT more than just one pass rusher. Judon, Bowser and Yannick are all FA. If none of them come back, who's the pass rushing group. We're all just assuming we can retain at least one of those guys.

We also need youth/depth on the Dline, we need to at least two Tackles alone (assuming Brown gets traded) and that's before we hit the "upgrade" spots, like TE, Safety, etc. Zero depth at Safety either.

Obviously, we're not getting all of that nor are we getting close to all of that.

I keep telling people in regards to the Oline... you need depth as much as you need starters. Ignoring the idea that you'll need to replace Brown if you trade him... who's the 3rd Tackle? It would be pure luck if Stanley and whoever is playing the right side play all 16 games without being injured.

At least on the interior, if you add a Center or a Guard, you've got depth there. Ben Powers would be a pretty solid 3rd Guard in my opinion. I'd really have no issue with TCC or even Mekari as a backup Center either.

Tackle is the biggest concern on this team if you trade away Brown, and I don't even think its close.
I still think we need a S and now just an upgrade. No way we let all of those pass rushers walk without coming out of fa and draft without one.

if we trade brown for a 1st, do you think it would be better addressing tackle in fa rather than using one of those 1st to draft a tackle? Cause for me, i really hate that idea.. yea sometimes it works out but like trading slay to draft okudah was kinda dumb to me and slay is only like 26-27

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I still think we need a S and now just an upgrade. No way we let all of those pass rushers walk without coming out of fa and draft without one.

if we trade brown for a 1st, do you think it would be better addressing tackle in fa rather than using one of those 1st to draft a tackle? Cause for me, i really hate that idea.. yea sometimes it works out but like trading slay to draft okudah was kinda dumb to me and slay is only like 26-27

i mean we just have a lot of positions where the cupboard is bare... the misses on day 2 in 2016 and 2017 are really hurting our front 7 right now - Correa, Kaufusi, Bowser, Wormley, Williams - only 1 of them even made it to year 4 and that's bowser who while i'd like us to bring back it's certainly not a guarantee we do

and it came after we did pretty badly in the drafts before that too - this team has been generally pretty bad on day 2 over the last decade mostly mitigated by some great drafting in day 3 - 2018 was a massive influx of new high quality talent and 2020 looks like it's got a chance to be the same albeit it's too early to tell

but the result of all those day 2 missed picks over the last decade is that we've had a dearth of talent that's only been slightly stymied by some good day 3 picks and some decent value free agent signings

but im just not sure we'll be able to plug every hole this offseason - in an ideal world i'd like another S, another slot (possibly both of those could be the same player), 2 or 3 new pass rushers, 2 or 3 new OL (including at least 1 OT), 2 new WRs, a new TE, a new young DL

basically the only positions im not really worried about in terms of adding talent right now are QB, LB, RB, FB

we're just not going to be able to be as deep as we want at every position

but it's why having draft classes like the 2018 class or the 2017 NO Saints class can massively catapult your team to the upper eschelons of the league but it's only really viable if you nail day 2

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Idk man, i faith in aj green.
i mean it could be the bengals, but there shouldve been a spark in him last year with burrow coming in, but he looked really really bad, burrow was a surgeon all over the field but green was always a step short or an inch shy with his throws, it wasnt a bengals problem that he looked like he lost a step and a half, it was a Green problem, it wasnt a bengals problem when he saw snaps and targets decrease, it wasnt a bengals problem when he quit on the team. he got outplayed by tee higgins and it wasnt even close, he lost his starters workload, and pouted about it.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
the ravens have to find a way to draft Daviyon Nixon without it being a reckless luxury pick. Nixon can not be blocked by 1 man, Madubuike can not be blocked by 1 man, put them together for fucks sake and dont even worry about edge rushers because pairing those 2 is my dream scenario for the ravens defense lol

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

Well, as I've been saying all offseason, he's the problem with trading Brown...
1. The Tackle market in FA is a baron wasteland of largely replacement level players. Maybe that changes in the next two weeks (and hopefully for our sake it does), but right now, its total garbage. And as I said... we need at least one tackle right now, and that's with Brown on the roster. We have no depth there. Phillips and Fluker were both pretty horrible last year. Maybe they think Phillips will improve, but there's no way I'm putting all my eggs in that basket. He at least needs competition for the swing tackle.
You trade Brown, now you need a starter + depth. And I think that forces your hand in the draft to a certain extent.
2. We notoriously prefer to go into the draft having "filled" a large chunk of our needs, so we're not pigeon-holed to, say, needing to take a Tackle in the first 2-3 picks. Like we're generally pretty good at drafting, but there's no way we have the arrogance of being able to walk into a draft and be like "yeah, we'll be OK. We'll find a Tackle somewhere". They could have 30 tackles they like and not end up with one of them. That's just how the draft goes sometimes. And the draft is, in some ways, your last significant opportunity to acquire talent.

I think they'll need a Tackle in the draft and a Tackle in FA regardless of whether Brown is here or not. But I think Brown being gone means they'll have to spend more in FA on a better one and potentially higher draft capital on a replacement. Not ideal.