• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2021 Offseason Thread

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Damn, there’s about to be a plethora of talented IOLinemen on the market

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
Damn, there’s about to be a plethora of talented IOLinemen on the market

This! Exactly. We have always done well being patient and letting some chips fall. No different this year. I don't like any of the WR's because they are going to be overpriced AND we don't know cap casualties.

Let's wait. We'll be good. Have a good draft and go from there.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
This! Exactly. We have always done well being patient and letting some chips fall. No different this year. I don't like any of the WR's because they are going to be overpriced AND we don't know cap casualties.

Let's wait. We'll be good. Have a good draft and go from there.
Completely agree but I do want Marvin Jones so let’s see what happens

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
One thing that confuses me is the second round tender on Edwards. He is a great player but paying running backs is never worth it. I'm sure his future contract will average a modest 3mil/ year average. Still, There's just so much college talent coming out every year i don't like putting that much money towards a RB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
One thing that confuses me is the second round tender on Edwards. He is a great player but paying running backs is never worth it. I'm sure his future contract will average a modest 3mil/ year average. Still, There's just so much college talent coming out every year i don't like putting that much money towards a RB

You think like $3.4M (about what the second round tender would cost) for a RB who gets like 140 carries is too much?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
With the above in mind, I honestly think I'd take the risk in cutting Brandon Williams. $7.5M in savings and I highly doubt he gets that on the open market. I'd take the risk, cut him, let him explore his market, and try to match or slightly exceed whatever the highest offer is. I don't think it'll be $7.5M and if he does get that, good for him.
I believe we end up cutting BWill as well. Good player but not worth the dough and believe you are right, that he doesn't get 7.5m on the open market.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
You think like $3.4M (about what the second round tender would cost) for a RB who gets like 140 carries is too much?
if we could get him on a two year deal worth about 3.5 to 4m avg, this may be the best thing we could do, especially since he's a fa at the end of the year.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

Absolutely, especially considering Dobbins will be taking the lead role this year. I like gus but he can be replicated in the draft for cheaper. Guys like Trey Sermon, Rahmondre Stevenson, Chuba Hubbard, Tommy Tremble etc

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Absolutely, especially considering Dobbins will be taking the lead role this year. I like gus but he can be replicated in the draft for cheaper. Guys like Trey Sermon, Rahmondre Stevenson, Chuba Hubbard, Tommy Tremble etc

Unless there's two Tommy Trembles in this year draft then i'm not sure how a tigh end can replicate Gus Edwards. I admit that I thought Edwards was going to likely be traded last year due to The Ravens having so much depth at the running back position before the 2020 regular season but I think he definitely proved he's pretty good. Not saying he's a elite running back at all but the guy does nothing but make plays when it's needed. Not every player can do that regardless of similarties. He even seem to have improved as a receiver as well and Dobbins may be taking on a lead role next year but we all know The Ravens like keeping their running backs fresh especially with a proven running back as the main back up.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Unless there's two Tommy Trembles in this year draft then i'm not sure how a tigh end can replicate Gus Edwards. I admit that I thought Edwards was going to likely be traded last year due to The Ravens having so much depth at the running back position before the 2020 regular season but I think he definitely proved he's pretty good. Not saying he's a elite running back at all but the guy does nothing but make plays when it's needed. Not every player can do that regardless of similarties. He even seem to have improved as a receiver as well and Dobbins may be taking on a lead role next year but we all know The Ravens like keeping their running backs fresh especially with a proven running back as the main back up.

Lol good catch, clearly I've been watching a lot of Tommy Trembles and would love to get him in Baltimore. Andrew, Tremble, and Boyle would be dangerous. But yes i do not like paying backs much above league minimum, to many good ones out there that can replicate Edwards production.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

Dobbins pretty much had the lead role last year. Doesn't mean they're not going to use two backs. Second back on this team is going to get, at a minimum, 100 carries.

I'd rather not use my draft capital on a position I already have comparable players on the roster for. I'm saving, what, $2M against the cap by going the cheaper route? What's $2M going to buy me in FA?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Dobbins pretty much had the lead role last year. Doesn't mean they're not going to use two backs. Second back on this team is going to get, at a minimum, 100 carries.

I'd rather not use my draft capital on a position I already have comparable players on the roster for. I'm saving, what, $2M against the cap by going the cheaper route? What's $2M going to buy me in FA?

that pick is far more valuable lol than filling in a spot that shouldnt even need replacing at a "low value" position

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
that pick is far more valuable lol than filling in a spot that shouldnt even need replacing at a "low value" position

Heard the same thing the year Ray Rice was drafted and again with Dobbins.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
And its not even that I think Edwards is great. I'd have no interest in him as like a 200+ carry back, nor do I think he would plug in anywhere and be great.

But like $3-4M isn't expensive for basically anything in the NFL these days. Long snappers can make like $2-3M. You're not getting starting-caliber players on non-rookie deals for that price. Its all depth and situational players.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

OK, and? Its still a position of low value. How many games did we win two years ago without Dobbins on the roster?

If Dobbins posts three consecutive 2000 yard seasons (which he won't, of course), I'll be the very first person leading the charge to NOT re-sign him after his rookie deal expires. Or, at least, not at whatever "market value" it comes in at.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

yes... dobbins is an exceptional talent - and i still don't feel great that we spent a 2nd round pick on a RB...

the idea that we would weaken our team by not retaining a guy who will contribute in a major way for us for at most just over 2m in cap room and basically lose a pick we could use at a more "valuable" position is bizarre - not in the least because there's no guarantee the rookie we bring in to replace gus is actually any good... we've not actually been that good at finding RBs with much success in day 3 recently...

what player are we gonna get for that 2m in cap space to make it worthwhile (we'd be giving up a pick for 2m in cap basically)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
And its not even that I think Edwards is great. I'd have no interest in him as like a 200+ carry back, nor do I think he would plug in anywhere and be great.

But like $3-4M isn't expensive for basically anything in the NFL these days. Long snappers can make like $2-3M. You're not getting starting-caliber players on non-rookie deals for that price. Its all depth and situational players.

it's also not a major long-term commitment either - he's also likely going to contribute far more than a ton of other players who make the 53 - i dont like paying RBs but this is just basically the 4th year of his rookie deal if we'd drafted him on day 3 and he hit performance-based multipliers (which i think his production most likely would qualify him for in the same way that bozeman and others have)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
OK, and? Its still a position of low value. How many games did we win two years ago without Dobbins on the roster?

If Dobbins posts three consecutive 2000 yard seasons (which he won't, of course), I'll be the very first person leading the charge to NOT re-sign him after his rookie deal expires. Or, at least, not at whatever "market value" it comes in at.

exactly - it's basically a 2nd round pick that you know is only a 4 year commitment because it's almost never going to be worth paying him - you could make an argument that if you thought he was in his prime you could maybe justify tagging him for an extra year (because the RB tag isn't crazy expensive) but even that would make me hesitate

paying RBs lots of money is such a competitive disadvantage especially because almost no team is using only 1 back anymore... (only the jags and titans really had a true workhorse this year but the titans had their guy sub out in passing situations)

and that's even more notable because the jags workhorse was a udfa rookie in year 1...

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I really hope we land Corey linsley. I’d like to see us sign him, flip Orlando, and hopefully nab teven Jenkins in R1 and I’m torn between powers, Phillips, or a rookie at RG, I like trey smith, Jackson carman, Ben Cleveland, and David Moore as day 2 guys who look like solid RG candidates