• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2021 Offseason Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I was just about to say after reading the tweet that he and Harris looked to have some real potential last year

khalil's a smaller small-school guy with some serious athleticism but it's hard to see him making the team as a CB unless he smashes everyone else in the gunner competition - but i would not be surprised if he was on the practice squad again (not sure yet what the rules are gonna be with the PS this year and whether there are gonna be elevations or anything)

Harris is someone i think has a much better chance of making the roster - he had a couple of PDs after zero practice time and in only a few weeks of play on special teams hit some of the highest speeds in the league as a gunner and is a generally well-regarded special teamer

we might be carrying a lot of DBs with the rookies and there might be a phantom ir/surprising rookie cut in the mix because of how deep the group is - but Harris is definitely in with a shot as a CB 6 who's a core special teamer week-to-week

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Apparently proche ran with the 1s when Bateman was once again out, and Duvernay was running with the 3s

was a stomach bug - seems to be a bit unlucky but nothing muscular it seems

but it being proche does make a lot of sense and in combo with duv tells us a few things:

Wallace is still learning, boykin's not in the picture and Duv is 100% a returner and gadget guy before a true WR

also helps that because of the flexibility we now have positionally with hollywood, watkins and bateman that proche can be involved

id be very pleasantly surprised if he made a big enough leap to be a factor as a WR this year - i thought we'd find more ways to get him involved last year when the rest of the WR corps (outside of hollywood and willie) couldn't seem to run a route for shit

duvernay running with the 3s is odd but not really an issue

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
was a stomach bug - seems to be a bit unlucky but nothing muscular it seems

but it being proche does make a lot of sense and in combo with duv tells us a few things:

Wallace is still learning, boykin's not in the picture and Duv is 100% a returner and gadget guy before a true WR

also helps that because of the flexibility we now have positionally with hollywood, watkins and bateman that proche can be involved

id be very pleasantly surprised if he made a big enough leap to be a factor as a WR this year - i thought we'd find more ways to get him involved last year when the rest of the WR corps (outside of hollywood and willie) couldn't seem to run a route for shit

duvernay running with the 3s is odd but not really an issue

Is this just straight up the writing on the wall that Boykin doesn't make the team? Obviously things can change, but I've been saying for months I don't think he'll make the team. Seems like he's headed in the wrong direction.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Is this just straight up the writing on the wall that Boykin doesn't make the team? Obviously things can change, but I've been saying for months I don't think he'll make the team. Seems like he's headed in the wrong direction.

i know some keep talking about his ability as a blocker but i dont think that's enough

i dont think he outright wins either of the spots he's in competition for: WR, gunner which means that he's a compromise of both but i dont think he's good enough as a blocker to pass over other guys because he doesnt offer much else and there are other guys on the team who are decent downfield blockers...

he's gonna have to put on a show in preseason i think to have a chance to make this roster - and the first kickoff/punt coverage of the 2nd preseason game is gonna tell us a lot about his chances of making the roster

i think the only guy he potentially makes it instead of is proche - but if proche outright wins the WR4 job then his special teams becomes less important in that battle and there's no way Tylan doesn't make the team and Duv is locked in as the returner

as soon as we drafted Tylan, i was pretty confident that Boykin's gone - because he's not just competing against Proche, he's competing against all the DBs in the gunner competition too - dorsey, harris, the rookie DBs etc. - if he beats out proche as the 6th WR then why would we not just keep an extra DB who's gonna be a better special teamer?

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Our media team isn’t allowed to film Lamar throwing anymore according to Jamison. Wtf lol

JAAM

Hall of Famer
how odd
but also... why would they tell jamison that?
Not sure. Plethora of reasons. Maybe they’re coming up with new passing concepts or maybe Lamar and company just look awful. I truly hope it’s the former

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Not sure. Plethora of reasons. Maybe they’re coming up with new passing concepts or maybe Lamar and company just look awful. I truly hope it’s the former

i mean it's definitely not the latter - the reports have been that there's plenty of highlights they could have shown if they were so inclined

but not sure what new passing concepts could be revealed by a random highlight or clip etc.

i wonder if there's something mechanical they're adjusting that they don't want teams to see... but that would be bizarrely secretive

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Our media team isn’t allowed to film Lamar throwing anymore according to Jamison. Wtf lol

It’s because people started talking about the wounded ducks and it started hurting feelings

rossihunter2

Staff Member
@JAAM
so i think hensley's talking absolute bullshit

- this doesnt show the receivers but he's throwing here (albeit not full-speed)

and this has a clip of him (probably from yesterday) throwing to bateman vs marlon

so unless the new command literally came down today then it smells like bull to me from Hensley

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
i know some keep talking about his ability as a blocker but i dont think that's enough

i dont think he outright wins either of the spots he's in competition for: WR, gunner which means that he's a compromise of both but i dont think he's good enough as a blocker to pass over other guys because he doesnt offer much else and there are other guys on the team who are decent downfield blockers...

he's gonna have to put on a show in preseason i think to have a chance to make this roster - and the first kickoff/punt coverage of the 2nd preseason game is gonna tell us a lot about his chances of making the roster

i think the only guy he potentially makes it instead of is proche - but if proche outright wins the WR4 job then his special teams becomes less important in that battle and there's no way Tylan doesn't make the team and Duv is locked in as the returner

as soon as we drafted Tylan, i was pretty confident that Boykin's gone - because he's not just competing against Proche, he's competing against all the DBs in the gunner competition too - dorsey, harris, the rookie DBs etc. - if he beats out proche as the 6th WR then why would we not just keep an extra DB who's gonna be a better special teamer?

I follow that logic completely

JAAM

Hall of Famer
@JAAM
so i think hensley's talking absolute bullshit

- this doesnt show the receivers but he's throwing here (albeit not full-speed)

and this has a clip of him (probably from yesterday) throwing to bateman vs marlon

so unless the new command literally came down today then it smells like bull to me from Hensley

And this is why I never liked Jamison

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I absolutely love Bateman’s confidence and I hope he brings some of that trash talk onto the field. Haven’t had that since Steve Smith