• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Defense, the Special Teams, and the Ugly: Week 9 Edition

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Elam & Perriman -two recent first round picks and several second rounders from Kindle on.

Not good. Lots of misses.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Elam & Perriman -two recent first round picks and several second rounders from Kindle on.

Not good. Lots of misses.

Ozzie does have a lot of misses from 2nd rounders, but you can't blame him for the Kindle pick. There's no GM in the league that could have predicted that Kindle would take a tumble down a flight of stairs and basically ruin his whole career.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ozzie does have a lot of misses from 2nd rounders, but you can't blame him for the Kindle pick. There's no GM in the league that could have predicted that Kindle would take a tumble down a flight of stairs and basically ruin his whole career.
The word was he was drunk out of his mind when he fell . Right ? If so , isn’t that the character issue they carefully look at before picking ?

Oh there’s this too : http://baltimoresportsreport.com/sergio-kindle-arrested-for-dui-11041.html

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Sorry gang- I usually have my thoughts up on Monday night, but I missed half the first quarter and want to watch that (will be able to today with NFL Sunday Ticket) before writing my thoughts. Should be up tonight by hopefully 8 or 9 PM.
Honestly, dude, as much as I enjoy your write-ups, I wouldn't blame you one bit if you stopped for the rest of the season. Maybe this is the overwhelming frustration of this season, but that's just how I feel.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Bum is a little harsh. I think he has the skills and physical talent to be a good one and his problems lie between his ears. All of the reports of him excelling on the practice field can’t be that wrong, but there’s something in his head that turns his hands to hams at the worst moments. It’s a shame because he could be just what this offense needs. Wallace regularly disappears and Maclin is made of glass so neither of them can really be depended upon either. Sadly another year goes by without a dependable wide receiver. Maybe the bye turns some things around.

See, that's where we differ my friend.

I don't see any "skills," and definitely not any "physical talent" from this kid whatsoever! And, the reality is that, all of the reports coming out of "practice"...with the Ravens playing against themselves.....really don't mean a damn thing IF we don't see it on the field from week to week against their opponents. I agree about Wallace and even Maclin. Same can be said about Campanaro. We have to face the music that the Ravens receiving core is trash! Pure trash in comparison to the receiving core of a few other teams in the league.

No one is exciting to watch. No one is explosive. No one puts fear in defenses and WE'RE SURPRISED AS HELL WHEN A RECEIVER ACTUALLY CATCHES A PASS! Pathetic! They need to gut this entire offense. Blow it the hell up and start from scratch! Cause to just keep bringing in old and cheap ass pieces is nothing more than putting a band-aid on a bullet wound. It's not working! And to see what our team has become a few years removed from their Super Bowl win is simply :heartbroken:.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor

I don't see any "skills," and definitely not any "physical talent" from this kid whatsoever! And, the reality is that, all of the reports coming out of "practice"...with the Ravens playing against themselves.....really don't mean a damn thing IF we don't see it on the field from week to week against their opponents. I agree about Wallace and even Maclin. Same can be said about Campanaro. We have to face the music that the Ravens receiving core is trash! Pure trash in comparison to the receiving core of a few other teams in the league.

No one is exciting to watch. No one is explosive. No one puts fear in defenses and WE'RE SURPRISED AS HELL WHEN A RECEIVER ACTUALLY CATCHES A PASS! Pathetic! They need to gut this entire offense. Blow it the hell up and start from scratch! Cause to just keep bringing in old and cheap ass pieces is nothing more than putting a band-aid on a bullet wound. It's not working! And to see what our team has become a few years removed from their Super Bowl win is simply :heartbroken:.
The only explosive player we have on offense is a guy we picked up when he was cut : Alex Collins .
That’s not a good sign . Maclin showed it just once on the slant Joe threw early in the season that he took to the house . Since then , nada .

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Honestly, dude, as much as I enjoy your write-ups, I wouldn't blame you one bit if you stopped for the rest of the season. Maybe this is the overwhelming frustration of this season, but that's just how I feel.
I went ahead and wrote it.

You're totally right, though- it is incredibly frustrating and it feels like I write the same articles week in and week out. Nothing seems to actually change with this team. The same ugly issues rear their head week after week. Occasionally, we get these perfect weeks where everything clicks (Bengals, Miami), but more often than not, the team shows every single flaw and weakness and it leads to disgusting losses that really should be wins (Jacksonville, Chicago, Titans). Really, to me, this team SHOULD be 7-2 with the only two losses being Jacksonville (they play out of their minds in London) and Minnesota (winning on the road against a defense that caliber isn't easy). But no, here we are sitting at 4-5 because this team has no idea how to correct its own issues.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor

You're totally right, though- it is incredibly frustrating and it feels like I write the same articles week in and week out. Nothing seems to actually change with this team. The same ugly issues rear their head week after week. Occasionally, we get these perfect weeks where everything clicks (Bengals, Miami), but more often than not, the team shows every single flaw and weakness and it leads to disgusting losses that really should be wins (Jacksonville, Chicago, Titans). Really, to me, this team SHOULD be 7-2 with the only two losses being Jacksonville (they play out of their minds in London) and Minnesota (winning on the road against a defense that caliber isn't easy). But no, here we are sitting at 4-5 because this team has no idea how to correct its own issues.

There it is @29BmoreBird22. You have nothing new to say perse....because this team gives you nothing new to say! As you mentioned, they do the same old :poop: week after week after week for 9 weeks now.

I totally agree, this team is too predictable and it looks like we're going to ride out this awful offense into the off-season. I really don't know what to say outside of the fact that it's either Harbaugh/Joe who is the issue or Ozzie's lack of drafting play-makers recently. Three seasons in a row that this offense has been a flat out night mare to watch, I don't understand how the Ravens can allow it to be this bad for this long. This is really ridiculous.

Honestly, these next two games are really telling for this team, if they manage to screw these two games which are handed on a silver platter then I will truly be at a lost for words, I really think the time to move on from Harbaugh is now and not 2018 if we blow those two games, not to mention if we fall victim to being Cleveland's first win.

Tank

Hall of Famer

Oh he has skills and physical talent, he’s just missing a piece, like every receiver we’ve had on the roster for the last 5 years. Smitty was a beast, but played hurt a lot and would just disappear at times. Which was understandable because of his age. Walllace shows flashes, but Mike is who he is. You call Perriman a bum, I think that term is much more applicable to Wallace. He has all the tools but just phones it in at times. Like I said, he is who he is. Maclin is a beast, albeit a fragile beast. My friend who lives in KC warned that he will look all world, but will exit regularly with some sort of nick.

Gut the O? Not sure what you mean but there ain’t much there to gut. Flacco, Stanley, Jensen and hopefully Yanda are the core. All of the other parts are and have been in a state of flux for the past 5 years, so nothing would surprise.

Last edited:

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Oh he has skills and physical talent, he’s just missing a piece, like every receiver we’ve had on the roster for the last 5 years. Smitty was a beast, but played hurt a lot and would just disappear at times. Which was understandable because of his age. Walllace shows flashes, but Mike is who he is. You call Perriman a bum, I think that term is much more applicable to Wallace. He has all the tools but just phones it in at times. Like I said, he is who he is. Maclin is a beast, albeit a fragile beast. My friend who lives in KC warned that he will look all world, but will exit regularly with some sort of nick.

Gut the O? Not sure what you mean but there ain’t much there to gut. Flacco, Stanley, Jensen and hopefully Yanda are the core. All of the other parts are and have been in a state of flux for the past 2 years, so nothing would surprise.
Thank you, I've been calling out Wallace all season and a lot of last season. It's so frustrating watching a veteran receiver who is capable of being a quality guy completely suck game in and game out. Besides like one game this season what the hell has he done. I'd take Perriman over him honestly, at least he can get open. I hate that we picked up his second year option this year. I'd rather throw Moore in there. Wallace is too expensive to be playing like he has. Everyone calls out BP but at the same time gives Wallace a pass.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor

Gut the O? Not sure what you mean but there ain’t much there to gut. Flacco, Stanley, Jensen and hopefully Yanda are the core. All of the other parts are and have been in a state of flux for the past 5 years, so nothing would surprise.

I meant what I said about the O! Blow it the hell up! Minus Yanda and Collins, I'm so sick of these present offensive players on the Ravens roster from Flacco on down! I'm not speaking from all of the technical contract jargon point of view but from what I like and don't like in players. I don't like our offensive players whatsoever! None of them!

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Thank you, I've been calling out Wallace all season and a lot of last season. It's so frustrating watching a veteran receiver who is capable of being a quality guy completely suck game in and game out. Besides like one game this season what the hell has he done. I'd take Perriman over him honestly, at least he can get open. I hate that we picked up his second year option this year. I'd rather throw Moore in there. Wallace is too expensive to be playing like he has. Everyone calls out BP but at the same time gives Wallace a pass.
Perriman over Wallace ? No thanks and we all know Wallace is not playing well .

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
The word was he was drunk out of his mind when he fell . Right ? If so , isn’t that the character issue they carefully look at before picking ?

Oh there’s this too : http://baltimoresportsreport.com/sergio-kindle-arrested-for-dui-11041.html

Is it Ozzie's fault that Kindle couldn't clean up his act in the NFL? There's no way that the Ravens would have taken a chance on him if they felt that he was going to screw up in the NFL. On top of that, this was a freak occurrence, character issues or not. I've been drunk out of my mind too many times to count and have never fell down stairs.

As for the DUI, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with that since it happened after he had fractured his skull. He probably didn't care at that point since his career was already going down in flames.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Is it Ozzie's fault that Kindle couldn't clean up his act in the NFL? There's no way that the Ravens would have taken a chance on him if they felt that he was going to screw up in the NFL. On top of that, this was a freak occurrence, character issues or not. I've been drunk out of my mind too many times to count and have never fell down stairs.

As for the DUI, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with that since it happened after he had fractured his skull. He probably didn't care at that point since his career was already going down in flames.
OK heres a NY TImes article on Kindle's problems in college:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/05/sports/ncaafootball/05texas.html
Thus began Kindle’s wild days when he said he got into fights on Austin’s legendary Sixth Street and sometimes drove drunk. The party ended in July 2007 when he was arrested for driving while intoxicated, what he called the lowest point of his life.

This is during his college days.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
OK heres a NY TImes article on Kindle's problems in college:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/05/sports/ncaafootball/05texas.html
Thus began Kindle’s wild days when he said he got into fights on Austin’s legendary Sixth Street and sometimes drove drunk. The party ended in July 2007 when he was arrested for driving while intoxicated, what he called the lowest point of his life.

This is during his college days.

So, are you saying that he shouldn't have been drafted by any team? I guarantee you that some other GM would have taken a chance on him as well.

You can't just rule out every player with character issues. Some have more than others, but obviously the Ravens felt like Kindle wasn't going to be a problem after speaking with him and examining all of the background information that they had on him. It turns out that they were completely wrong on their evaluations, but hindsight is 20/20.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
So, are you saying that he shouldn't have been drafted by any team? I guarantee you that some other GM would have taken a chance on him as well.

You can't just rule out every player with character issues. Some have more than others, but obviously the Ravens felt like Kindle wasn't going to be a problem after speaking with him and examining all of the background information that they had on him. It turns out that they were completely wrong on their evaluations, but hindsight is 20/20.
I never said that . But Kindle was a 4th , 5th round pick based on his issues imo

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
I never said that . But Kindle was a 4th , 5th round pick based on his issues imo

Fair enough. For me, I just can't pin all of the blame on Ozzie for this one. It was a bad pick, but it took a really unfortunate turn of events for it to turn out the way it did.