• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Offensive Coordinator Thread

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
He was offered his dream job. Do you blame him for leaving? Put yourself in his shoes for a minute and don't lie to yourself. His career started in Denver. He won two SBs and was a major part of it in Denver. He was offered a pay raise. His boss owes A LOT to him. His dream job was clearly to be the HC of his old team.. He took it. He had success with it. Good for him. If he wants to come back here because it's less stressful, I can guarentee you he wouldn't leave again for a HC job. His health wouldn't let him. That reason is a HORRIBLE reason not to want him again. Tell me: If his health was really permitting him to take on the stressful job of a HC, do you really think he would have retired? Answer: no. He was getting paid a lot of money. He retired because of health and stress. NEVER had any health problems as an OC. Far less stressful and he was a lot better at it than he was as a HC.

Your dream job is offered to you and you also get offered a significant pay raise. Don't bullshit me. You're taking that job and not looking back.
Call me crazy but I really did that. Money scale is incomparable, of course but in my simple world would have made quite a difference. Yet, I didn't do it and never regretted it.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Call me crazy but I really did that. Money scale is incomparable, of course but in my simple world would have made quite a difference. Yet, I didn't do it and never regretted it.
You're crazy. You have to empathize for a minute then. Gary's always wanted that. He finally got his shot and he took it. Why wouldn't he?

And he won't do it again. Not with his health.

Seriously. People who are butthurt over the situation need to get over it. Now, if he had left to go be the OC and only the OC of Denver, that'd be more understandable. But nope. HC is a different animal.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Sounds like a reason to leave him in retirement
Yet we still hired him after Texas and he's had 0 of those issues as an OC.. In a booth where the job is a lot less stressful.

If he wants to come out of retirement his doctor also likely cleared him so......

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
We just need to get rid of these dinosaur era coordinators and recruit some fresh and intellectual young coordinators. I don't expect Steve is going to fire Harbaugh so I'm not going to waste my breath calling for his ouster. I also think its time to force a graceful exit from Ozzie by having him hang it up so DeCosta could prove starting now and the 2018 draft if he can provide fresh thinking to the club.
We need to draft a QB in earnest in 2018 and I'll go so far as saying I wouldn't disagree with mortgaging several picks to land the best QB in the draft. God knows that is where it all begins. Hopefully the new coordinators can eke out an average year out of Flacco so the rookie can get his feet wet and then play him in 2019 and let Flacco go. I don't care what else we have on offense at this point. I assure you that who we have will perform better with another QB at the helm. I love Flacco for his toughness and grit, but hate him for his lack of urgency during crunch time and abysmal decision making. We need to move on from Flacco and Ozzie at the very minimum.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
If it was such a dream job he wouldnt have bailed because it was too "stressful", everyone knows a HC job in this league is stressful and he knew that going in. Maybe he should just retire to Cabo where he can change his mind anytime he wants and not have to leave entire teams in limbo.
Oh my god. That is such an asinine argument. He was having health problems with seizures. And yes, the job of a HC is SIGNIFICANTLY more stressful than one of a OC. Head coaches work 70-80 hour weeks and have to make constant personel decisions, lineup changes. Kubiak was a good HC. His health just didn't permit it. If he didn't have the seizures he'd still be a HC guaranteed.

And jesus. Seriously? How butthurt can someone be. I'm not pissed off. I'd do the same thing if I was in his shoes, and at the end of the day his brief tenure in Denver was successful. He got a ring.

"But he bailed on them too".
Yeah. Has seizures and a super bowl ring as a HC. I'm not surprised. Never had that as an OC and a doctor likely cleared him to return, and Kubiak likely knows that he can only return in an offensive coordinator role. He wants to return, I'd be all for it. He's an offensive genius.
I said it then and still feel the same. Not going to change my mind.
Kubiak is a trader!
No he's not. He took a promotion when he had the opportunity to. He'd be a traitor if he went to another team to be an OC and nothing more while giving us the finger and telling us to suck our own dicks on the way out. A change from OC to HC is one 99/100 coordinators in the NFL would make.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Hell, he'd probably go back to Denver if they didn't have a good playcaller in McCoy back there(yes, well aware that Denver is struggling. That's called no QB and no oline at all. Their offense is worse off than ours is for that reason alone)

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
No he's not. He took a promotion when he had the opportunity to. He'd be a traitor if he went to another team to be an OC and nothing more while giving us the finger and telling us to suck our own dicks on the way out. A change from OC to HC is one 99/100 coordinators in the NFL would make.
What happened to "I am not going anywhere, I am not interested in any HC positions. We are building something here"?
Trader.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
What happened to "I am not going anywhere, I am not interested in any HC positions. We are building something here"?
Trader.
Money and promise of a ring he'd be directly responsible for. Come on. It's an NFL coach. Those guys hardly ever tell the truth to the public. It's like being a politician. What else is he going to say? What if negotiations with Elway fall flat and he says "I will be mulling head coaching offers". Then we likely find our contingency plan ahead of time, and if negotiations fall flat, then Kubiak is probably out of a job.

It's all politics. In every business it's all politics. Once you realize that you become less angry with the world. Words mean nothing in the NFL. Actions mean everything. Even when he said that, I knew he was gone. He'd be too stupid not to leave. And ultimately he made the right choice.

Now he wants back. We are desperate for him, so let's welcome him with open arms