• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Offensive Coordinator Thread

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
What happened to "I am not going anywhere, I am not interested in any HC positions. We are building something here"?
Trader.
Money and promise of a ring he'd be directly responsible for. Come on. It's an NFL coach. Those guys hardly ever tell the truth to the public. It's like being a politician. What else is he going to say? What if negotiations with Elway fall flat and he says "I will be mulling head coaching offers". Then we likely find our contingency plan ahead of time, and if negotiations fall flat, then Kubiak is probably out of a job.

It's all politics. In every business it's all politics. Once you realize that you become less angry with the world. Words mean nothing in the NFL. Actions mean everything. Even when he said that, I knew he was gone. He'd be too stupid not to leave. And ultimately he made the right choice.

Now he wants back. We are desperate for him, so let's welcome him with open arms

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Money and promise of a ring he'd be directly responsible for. Come on. It's an NFL coach. Those guys hardly ever tell the truth to the public. It's like being a politician. What else is he going to say? What if negotiations with Elway fall flat and he says "I will be mulling head coaching offers". Then we likely find our contingency plan ahead of time, and if negotiations fall flat, then Kubiak is probably out of a job.

It's all politics. In every business it's all politics. Once you realize that you become less angry with the world. Words mean nothing in the NFL. Actions mean everything. Even when he said that, I knew he was gone. He'd be too stupid not to leave. And ultimately he made the right choice.

Now he wants back. We are desperate for him, so let's welcome him with open arms
So, was it money and the promise of a ring or his dream job?

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
So, was it money and the promise of a ring or his dream job?
Why can't it be all three?
Seriously. It's completely irrational to fault Kubiak for leaving. Dream job. Implied promotion. Team thats' too good not to win a ring soon(Which the Broncos were....).

He'd be stupid not to take it.
Sure.. He left us.. But almost every person in that position would do the same thing. You wouldn't. But I would and countless others here, who are not angry with him, would as well.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
And don't tell me that you wouldn't welcome his coaching ability back with open arms. He's an offensive genius who got the best out of Flacco and can make some bad players look passable on the line and would likely turn Alex Collins into an all pro. If we win a ring sometime in the next five years and he retires again good on him, mission accomplished. If we want a ring sometime soon we hire him and don't look back.

We need him. Not wanting him back because he took an upgraded position is completely and totally irrational. And borderline insanity. Do you want to continue to suffer through this bullshit?

It's like the Maclin situation. It's too perfect not to happen at this point. We need him. We're stuck with Joe regardless because of the contract. He's a coordinator who's proven he can get the best out of him, and compensate when Joe is struggling. He knows how to evaluate offensive talent and maximize it.

Beggars can't be choosers.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Why wouldn’t you want to do this? The power scheme doesn’t seem to be working all that well anyways, and Collins would have a field day running in a zone.
Roman's power scheme itself is actually fine. We just have shit personel on certain parts of the line.
Yet he’s willing to return to the nfl and be an OC again. I’d like Kubiak again, but feel we would need to scrap our current power scheme and go back to a stench zone scheme. I’m not sure I want to do this. Is there anyway he could work with Greg Romans scheme?
I feel like that combination would actually work. Roman is known to work in zone concepts into his running scheme anyway. Having Kubiak there to help him out could potentially make the scheme more potent. It could also allow Kubiak to become somewhat unpredictable as a coordinator, an advantage he's never really had in the past.

Yes, Kubiak is predictable at times and is uncreative as fuck. You know what's coming, but it still works anyway. He's just smart.

Yeah I'd take him back. I doubt he leaves again because of his health and he can maximize Flacco.

I doubt it happens though

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Make the lions oc head coach.
Hell no. They have no running game and that offense sucks in the redzone. Just ask Lions fans how they feel about him this season. You won't get glowing reviews. Only reason he was liked originally because he was better than the godawful OC they had before him.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
I don't love Kubes as an Oc just because I think he should stay retired. I realize and OC is less work, but being an OC must be stressful as hell if Flacco is your QB. I really think we need a new QB, and I think Kubes might fuck up our oline. Our line is playing incredible right now, and that is without Yanda or guards. Please, someone, agree with me Hurst is doing fantastic?????? He had one of our best grades from PFF today, and when Stannley went down he made a hell of a block at left tackle on his first play. Jensen is also a top 5 center, and I don't want to not resign him just because of he doesn't fit in the new scheme. I do agree Stanley Collins and Flacco could be great uner Kubes.

Oh my god. That is such an asinine argument. He was having health problems with seizures. And yes, the job of a HC is SIGNIFICANTLY more stressful than one of a OC. Head coaches work 70-80 hour weeks and have to make constant personel decisions, lineup changes. Kubiak was a good HC. His health just didn't permit it. If he didn't have the seizures he'd still be a HC guaranteed.

And jesus. Seriously? How butthurt can someone be. I'm not pissed off. I'd do the same thing if I was in his shoes, and at the end of the day his brief tenure in Denver was successful. He got a ring.

"But he bailed on them too".
Yeah. Has seizures and a super bowl ring as a HC. I'm not surprised. Never had that as an OC and a doctor likely cleared him to return, and Kubiak likely knows that he can only return in an offensive coordinator role. He wants to return, I'd be all for it. He's an offensive genius.

No he's not. He took a promotion when he had the opportunity to. He'd be a traitor if he went to another team to be an OC and nothing more while giving us the finger and telling us to suck our own dicks on the way out. A change from OC to HC is one 99/100 coordinators in the NFL would make.

Why you mad? I made my point. Go be a fanboy and circlejerk for that fucking lame all you want, dont expect everyone else to.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Why you mad? I made my point. Go be a fanboy and circlejerk for that fucking lame all you want, dont expect everyone else to.
Because it’s a irrational reason to not want him back. You don’t see me harping on @purplepittabread88 because he has a far more defenseable position. He thinks that the oline is playing well and doesn’t want Kubiak coming in to implement a different scheme. While I disagree with him, it’s not something I can get pissed off over.

Saying “He abandoned us. Fuck him. Don’t give him another chance” in a passive aggressive manner for an decision that happened 3 years ago is not only an asinine reason for not wanting him(especially if he wants to come back here which honestly wouldn’t surprise me. Seriously, you’d reject an elite coaching mind because he took a head coaching job somewhere else three years ago? I guess Josh McDaniels is also a snake for leaving New England and they should have never taken him back) but incredibly petty and borderline childish. It’s his dream job and he was entering an ideal situation. I’d be pissed off if he DIDNT take advantage of it. I’d be calling him an idiot even if was to our gain. I like Kubiak but ultimately he deserved the ring he got with them.

“That fucking lame”. Yeah. The man who coached a super bowl team is a “lame”. Good for him in all honesty. He’s not a bad guy. He’s not a snake or a traitor either. Most coaches would do what he did in his scenario. He earned it. Sure road the coat tails of an all time great defense but it doesn’t mean he’s not a brilliant offensive mind.

You know how petty that sounds? Incredibly so. It accomplished nothing(oh goodie. Now I get to enter the paradoxical zone of “this is a forum. What we say doesn’t matter anyway... point is I’m aware that I’m a hypocrite). We’ve had success with him in the past and you don’t want to bring him back because he made a logical and rational decision 3 years ago that ultimately bettered his career? I’m sorry. That’s a terrible reason to not bring someone back no matter how you spin it. The NFL is a business. It’s not like Kubiak decided to go be the OC of the Bengals while still under contract with us.

I haven’t even gotten into the football side of it yet. It’s a logical football move. He’s brilliant. Sure it sucks that we just switched to the power man scheme and that it’s working well, and that’s a far more valid reason to not want him. Others also want to rebuild(I’d rather maximize Flacco’s talent. I mean we have to keep him so why not).

I’m not attacking you or your character. For the most part I actually like you and your opinions. But this is a petty reason to not like the guy and a weak point overall. We criticize Harbaugh for making decisions based off of emotion and familiarity because he’s friends with his staff, yet we want to make personel decisions based off of emotion for a past decision(and over exaggerating how Kubiak made the decision. Did he kill a man? Seriously. I wouldn’t even consider him to be a traitor) It’s just... nonsensical.

I don’t even think we end up with Kubiak(I think La Canfora is lying to all of us.. he is the epitome of fake news), and while I support hiring him, I can see there are flaws in that plan. We’d have to acquire more oline man than previously anticipated, let Some rbs go that don’t fit the ZBS, let Roman go despite the fact that he’s been excellent, have to find a QB coach to be the man who helps fix Flacco. It’s not a perfect plan. But to disregard it entirely for a good decision Kubiak made? Just a weak point and a petty reason.

That’s my 2 cents

Last edited:

Inqui

Pro Bowler
I don't care if Kubiak took a shit on Ozzie's desk and gave everyone two middle fingers while yelling "Broncos rule" as he left on his last day, I'd take him back in a heartbeat if he were available. He'd objectively make us better and we're not exactly in the kind of position where we can complain about stuff that makes us better.

Joe had a career year with him and he arguably got more out of our OL than anyone, and he turned a journeyman RB into a star for a year. We were a few plays away from playing an anemic Colts side in the AFCCG, let down by "Cleats" Elam. This time around we'd have a franchise LT and a badass secondary already in place.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I want Gary back, as long as his health won't be an issue for him.

Ludy51

Hall of Famer
I didn't have a problem with Gary leaving. It was him going back on his word, which he was pretty adamant about at the time, that angered me. I'd still take him back though

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

Where are you hearing he wants to come back and as what. If he wants back as HC I'll load Harbs up in my rig and haul him to the college destination of his choice.......for free. You can bring Dennison back as OC.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I didn't have a problem with Gary leaving. It was him going back on his word, which he was pretty adamant about at the time, that angered me. I'd still take him back though

Yeah I hear you but nobody thought John Fox was leaving and then the place where he played and Elway being a good friend was just too much I guess.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler

This, and who tells their employer I'm looking different opportunities??

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I’m begging Kubiak to come back. He took his dream job. Don’t blame him one bit. Would’ve done the same thing. Call him Harbaugh!!!

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
And don't tell me that you wouldn't welcome his coaching ability back with open arms. He's an offensive genius who got the best out of Flacco and can make some bad players look passable on the line and would likely turn Alex Collins into an all pro. If we win a ring sometime in the next five years and he retires again good on him, mission accomplished. If we want a ring sometime soon we hire him and don't look back.

We need him. Not wanting him back because he took an upgraded position is completely and totally irrational. And borderline insanity. Do you want to continue to suffer through this bullshit?

It's like the Maclin situation. It's too perfect not to happen at this point. We need him. We're stuck with Joe regardless because of the contract. He's a coordinator who's proven he can get the best out of him, and compensate when Joe is struggling. He knows how to evaluate offensive talent and maximize it.

Beggars can't be choosers.

Yeaaaahhh!! It's not like ravens have a glut of offensive skill to attract the couple young bright ambitious innovative coaches out there. Whom is looking for a springboard to a head coaching job. I would like Kuhiak back if he would come. As a secondary plan ravens should look at all the intelligent innovative former backup QBs, QB coaches and WR coaches out there. I read b4 Matt Schaub is a coaching candidate. And everybody says josh McCown is a future offensive genius. Like how Rams found their young genius!!

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'd welcome Kubiak back. I was pissed when he left, but I understood the reasoning and, props to him, he was able to lead the Broncos to a championship. As long as it wouldn't affect our running game too much (which I think Roman could work with him and make it work) then I would have no problem with Kubes coming back as he would definitely be a vast improvement over Marty. Plus, he could hopefully revitalize Flacco's career before it continues spiraling downward.