• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Jimmy Smith

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Drop off In performance from the number 2, because the number 2 isn’t capable. Jimmy is capable.
we have depth though. With our current roster we should easily be able to let jimmy shawdow. Carr can play outside on either side and so could hump. i feel like the real reasom why we dont is cause we dont have too. no reason for to fix whats not broken

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
so, let me get this straight...

shitbags such as cary williams, chykie brown, rashaan melvin, and shareece wright cant play both sides, and thats jimmys fault.

fucking airtight logic there deebo, you stay spittin common sense.
I didnt read the #2 drop off clearly. I was talking about our current roster. We can do it with our current cb depth but there is no reason to cause what we are currently doing is working very well for us

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Jimmy is playing great but tbh rhodes is better. Now josh norman, no way in hell

The reasom why we probably dont allow jimmy to shawdow is cause of drop off in performance like you said, so therefore it is his fault.

rhodes has been great but not at jimmy's level - outside of maybe jalen ramsey im not sure there has been a more consistently great cb this year

and jimmy can shadow and does shadow very well but schematically if jimmy shadows the number 1 then the number 2 corner also has to shadow which is a lot more difficult - jimmy locking down one side of the field makes it a lot easier for the number 2 corner as others have said

there's a dropoff in performance when jimmy shadows but not by jimmy, by the 2nd corner

rossihunter2

Staff Member
we have depth though. With our current roster we should easily be able to let jimmy shawdow. Carr can play outside on either side and so could hump. i feel like the real reasom why we dont is cause we dont have too. no reason for to fix whats not broken

im not sure that shadowing is really the most effective method of coverage for corners in the nfl now anyway - the only high level corner consistently asked to do it is patrick peterson and while it leads to a couple more picks a year it also means he can be beaten on quick crossers out of the slot more easily than usual

redrum52

Hall of Famer
which also included an incredible lardarius webb season too...

It's sad we never really got to see him maintain that. 2011 Webb was setting up something special. You could see it before the 2nd ACL. I hope the same thing doesn't happen to Young. The story of this franchise lately has been injuries and what could've been.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
LOL at NFL Network. They tweeted out Steve Smith and Michael Irvin are going to discuss who is the top CB. They show a row of pictures, 4 corners. Patrick Peterson, Xaiver Rhodes, Jalen Ramsey and Josh Norman.

Jimmy getting no respect.
So, anyone watching this to get the answer?

Is Xavier Rhodes lining up all over the field this season? Does he stick to #1's like Pat Peterson does? This is a really genuine question because if thats the case then I guess that I can see why they would rank him so highly.

I'll google it to get my answer but just asking to see if anyone else knows.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Is Xavier Rhodes lining up all over the field this season? Does he stick to #1's like Pat Peterson does? This is a really genuine question because if thats the case then I guess that I can see why they would rank him so highly.

I'll google it to get my answer but just asking to see if anyone else knows.
No from what I know he actually stays on one side of the field often. Trae Waynes plays the other side and they tend not to switch the two. The two of them also have an insane amount of PI yards (according to my friend who is a Vikings fan)

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Okay so just thinking about Jimmy Smith, I think he an incredible feat surely less than 5 others can say. Jimmy has picked off Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and Ben. Isn't that something? His pick against the Patriots in the 2011 playoffs is one of the most incredible play on the ball I've seen someone make. The awareness on that wow. In addition, on a jump ball or a fade, there is not a single person I would rather have than Jimmy. In my opinion, Patrick Peterson is better but no one else.

Filmstudy

Staff Member
Filmstudy
Writer

Carr is no longer the starter. See my last article for the explanation, but Cliff notes:
1. Humphrey replaced Carr at LCB and played the last 49 snaps consecutively after Carr had missed just a handful of snaps all season.
2. Carr was not hurt, as evidenced by the fact he returned to spell Smith for 1 full series and a snap on the last drive.

Humphrey should start this game at LCB and play virtually every snap the rest of the season. He can (and has) played both sides, but there honestly is no need for shadowing when your 2 corners are Humphrey and Smith.

From here on in, we should see Carr only in the "spell Jimmy" role.

No from what I know he actually stays on one side of the field often. Trae Waynes plays the other side and they tend not to switch the two. The two of them also have an insane amount of PI yards (according to my friend who is a Vikings fan)
Yeah, it seems like he plays one side of the field.

Jimmy is just super-underrated and it might take a while for him to get the recognition he deserves. Hopefully more picks make the case, it's certainly helping Kevin Byard.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
another note of importance in this issue is that humphrey played on one side for most of his college career too
Yes he did, but he has come in for Carr and Jimmy this year and can play on both sides. I wonder if thst will change how we play Jimmy in the future. Not really sure we have to have him shadow though.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yes he did, but he has come in for Carr and Jimmy this year and can play on both sides. I wonder if thst will change how we play Jimmy in the future. Not really sure we have to have him shadow though.

humphrey played the opposite side to jimmy in college anyway
i meant it in the sense that there's no need to have either of them follow when they are both better (and more comfortable) locking down a side each

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
My worry though about that though is that while Humphrey played great on Sunday, he did not play as great as his numbers show. Twice by my count he was beat deep and a better QB hits those throws but fortunately we did not play against one of those.