• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2022 General Draft Thoughts

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Trading back and drafting penning in 1 and salyer in 2 sounds like a good way to turn around the OL in a hurry. Maybe prioritize Jensen as the big FA too. We would have a lineup of nasty sons of bitches

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
oh that would be fun
apparently some scouts/teams think salyer can play C (which is an interesting wrinkle that definitely adds value to the ravens)
I’ve read that too, I don’t usually put stock into that though, for me if I’ve seen you play center then I can call you a C, I feel like I’ve seen enough guards who become average at best centers when we need them in a pinch, along with the occasional errant snap.

if we take him and he can play center then fuck yeah great pick, but if we take him and he plays guard, that’s great too, because I think he’s a stud guard

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’ve read that too, I don’t usually put stock into that though, for me if I’ve seen you play center then I can call you a C, I feel like I’ve seen enough guards who become average at best centers when we need them in a pinch, along with the occasional errant snap.

if we take him and he can play center then fuck yeah great pick, but if we take him and he plays guard, that’s great too, because I think he’s a stud guard

he's played some snaps at C for Georgia in 2019 in replacement for some other guys iirc and i think was functionally one of the top backups at C in 2021 (often was snapping for 2nd and 3rd string QBs in pre-game) - ive seen enough snaps from him that i know he's left-handed - he played almost the whole 4th quarter in 2019 against Missouri at C

JAAM

Hall of Famer

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
weak class at the top and DJ's not a fan of stingley and has some reservations about Thibodeaux so it definitely makes some sense

i knew he was lower on charles cross than some but was surprised by just how low

Projections are everywhere. Seems like this draft is a perfect draft to trade down. If a QB doesn’t get picked by the 13th round, surely QB-needy teams will start getting antsy.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Projections are everywhere. Seems like this draft is a perfect draft to trade down. If a QB doesn’t get picked by the 13th round, surely QB-needy teams will start getting antsy.

i think it's highly likely that the top top group of talent in this class are all gone before we pick and that's even if we see a QB gone - there's just not that many blue-chip top-10 type talents in this class

but from what i can see so far it looks like the difference between the prospect you get at 14 and 25 probably isnt going to be that different - so may be in our best interest to find a way to trade down

going into this process i was hopeful that with our highest slated draft spot in 6 years we might have the opportunity to find a blue-chip guy but im not sure that's reasonable at this point - there's obviously still lots of players left for me to put preliminary grades on but not many of the super highly rated guys left and right now i only have 5 "top 10" graded prospects

starting to feel very unrealistic that a big grade prospect will fall to us which makes the trade down a very attractive option right now

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

Hell yea , Matt Elam for the win. I had forgotten how bad that class was. The poor Bills traded UP for E.J. Manuel , that’s the kind of move that sets a franchise back years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
423032B4-4168-4E19-B4C9-0B73D25E4A0A.png

well the trenches would be better

Simba

Staff Member
It's kinda wild doing all of these mock draft simulations and finding myself not looking at WR. This does not feel like the Ravens I'm talking about.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It's kinda wild doing all of these mock draft simulations and finding myself not looking at WR. This does not feel like the Ravens I'm talking about.

not even vaguely interested in watching any right now lol

was watching jahan dotson for the senior bowl and it was like pulling teeth - not because he was bad, because he's a pretty decent prospect, but because i could have been watching a DL or an EDGE or an OT lol

Simba

Staff Member
Cincinnati has so many intriguing defensive players this year.

Sauce Gardner, Myjai Sanders, Darrian Beavers, Coby Bryant

Sanders and Beavers are fun because they're both like anti-size for their positions but they just find ways to win. Sanders looks rail thin for an Edge and then Beavers is just a monster human for an off-ball LB. But it works for them.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Cincinnati has so many intriguing defensive players this year.

Sauce Gardner, Myjai Sanders, Darrian Beavers, Coby Bryant

Sanders and Beavers are fun because they're both like anti-size for their positions but they just find ways to win. Sanders looks rail thin for an Edge and then Beavers is just a monster human for an off-ball LB. But it works for them.

sanders is interesting for sure - gets blown off the ball in the running game too easily - will flash some cool reps where he'll split a double-team or penetrate or even hold the edge but if a guy gets into him he's gone... just hasnt got the anchor to hold up

sauce is my favourite corner so far, i like what ive seen from bryant but not done any proper study on him yet

not seen much of beavers at all although iirc @RaineV1 has watched him a bit

they've also got Bryan Cook the safety - the kind of guy who's versatile who was stuck behind some other draft picks at the position last year and probably going to make his way on special teams if he does - the kind of guy who fits the late day 3 safety profile that the ravens like (if he tests ok) - maybe he goes higher, maybe he goes undrafted... i havent watched enough to know yet... but he definitely at first glance fits that mould of a developmental special-teams/safety and was a key part of that insane cincinnati secondary

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
sanders is interesting for sure - gets blown off the ball in the running game too easily - will flash some cool reps where he'll split a double-team or penetrate or even hold the edge but if a guy gets into him he's gone... just hasnt got the anchor to hold up

sauce is my favourite corner so far, i like what ive seen from bryant but not done any proper study on him yet

not seen much of beavers at all although iirc @RaineV1 has watched him a bit

they've also got Bryan Cook the safety - the kind of guy who's versatile who was stuck behind some other draft picks at the position last year and probably going to make his way on special teams if he does - the kind of guy who fits the late day 3 safety profile that the ravens like (if he tests ok) - maybe he goes higher, maybe he goes undrafted... i havent watched enough to know yet... but he definitely at first glance fits that mould of a developmental special-teams/safety and was a key part of that insane cincinnati secondary
Yeah. Easily my favorite off the ball LB in this draft. He has the size of an edge rusher but moves in space like a safety. Also really confident in his instincts so there's no hesitation. On top of that he's very versatile, capable of of playing on the edge in a role similar to Bowser.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah. Easily my favorite off the ball LB in this draft. He has the size of an edge rusher but moves in space like a safety. Also really confident in his instincts so there's no hesitation. On top of that he's very versatile, capable of of playing on the edge in a role similar to Bowser.

what sort of round do you see him going in?
that makes me think of zaven collins a little and he was obviously a mid-1st rounder - i havent seen that kind of buzz on beavers yet - do you think he'll get that kind of buzz?