• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2022 General Draft Thoughts

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I think Stingley will be there at 14th and the Ravens will pick him.

I have very little worry about his past two seasons. The injury concerns the past two seasons are a thing, but I'd also like to mention the culture at LSU the past two seasons has been very toxic. I don't know that very many guys were willing to play through anything the way things were going in Baton Rouge. He's very talented and would be a heck of a boost to the secondary, he's a play-maker.
I reckon he's the best corner out of college since Patrick Peterson.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Cross might be the most natural pass protector I’ve ever seen honestly, it’s easy as fuck for him to get vertical, he mirrors, keeps a perfect base throughout, doesn’t lean, fires his hands so well he’s just so quick and precise with it and gives no wasted motions and is always well timed. It’s lieeeally just the anchor concern, and he still holds up better than penning with the anchor because cross gives ground and then holds, penning gets put on skates at an alarming rate. I even think cross could be a good run blocking OT here because he does a great job in space

the anchor isnt even really a problem to me anyway - it's a small concern and it seems more obvious and worse than it is because you compare it to neal and ekwonu who nobody's going through - if he faces a 290/300lb guy on the edge who goes speed-to-power with leverage then maybe he'll have some issues but how often does that happen on the edge lol - the biggest issue i see with his anchor is that when he gets hit speed-to-power sometimes he struggles to actually set his anchor (rather than his anchor actually being bad)

and while the run blocking is more about projecting, i do think there's elements of his game and his profile that project well... he's really effective rolling his hips on contact and driving his feet through the contact point - i know he's one of the guys (as well as neal and penning too) who are working with duke manyweather and i saw him put out a video on generating torque with your hands and elbows and then another video on creating leverage and driving the feet and running defenders downfield

with the effective coaching these guys get from pro trainers vs college coaching which has different goals, i think it's possible that in the future we see some prospects just skip out on their final year because the coaching they're getting away from their teams is in many cases better preparing them for the NFL

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think Stingley will be there at 14th and the Ravens will pick him.

I have very little worry about his past two seasons. The injury concerns the past two seasons are a thing, but I'd also like to mention the culture at LSU the past two seasons has been very toxic. I don't know that very many guys were willing to play through anything the way things were going in Baton Rouge. He's very talented and would be a heck of a boost to the secondary, he's a play-maker.

to that point with the injuries, it's a lisfranc and we've just had recent experience with a 1st rounder coming off that same injury and being effective early in his career (and stingley's way further ahead in his recovery than hollywood was at this point in the process... in fact to the extent that stingley is going to be doing drills and testing at his proday while hollywood couldnt even practice fully his first year)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Feels like Tunsil and Stanley to some extent. You have a bunch of really good players there but Cross is just so clean technically. Actually reminds me a lot of Ronnie in some ways.

that's a really good thought lol - not sure any of the 3 guys are quite the same level of pro-ready and no-brainer elite prospect that stanley and tunsil were but that 2016 class was uniquely talented at the top - but certainly the skillsets and the pick-your-flavour type feeling is similar

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
only seen 2 college WRs really get the better of him at any point... van jefferson (and he still only had like 4/60) and devonta smith (who killed every DB in college)
There’s a video on YouTube called “Derek stingley being bad at football” and it’s basically the mildest highlight reel of devonta smith ever compiled, and van Jefferson on perfectly played back shoulder throws, and Seth Williams with a blatant push off, and that’s it.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
One thing I still don’t understand is how Sean rhyan isn’t mentioned really ever, here or elsewhere, he’s like the least discussed prospect in this entire class it seems, he’s one of those guys who has a skill set that could be elite at either guard or tackle in any scheme, I almost want to say, and admittedly this is exaggerated as hell, but he’s almost a poor man’s ikem ekwonu. He looks more like a guard than a tackle but he has tackle feet and quickness and plays with the raw power and girth of a guard and has very quick hands as well.

Tyler smith has been discussed here quite a bit and I’m not sure rhyan isn’t a similar but better prospect.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Screenshot_20220312-203444.png

127: Braxton Jones, OT, Southern Utah
139: JT Woods, S, Baylor
141: Cole Strange, G, Chattanooga
195: Nick Cross, S, Maryland

Well, this would be a dream draft.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
man id really like to land JJ, gardner, stingley, ojabo, or walker, but id LOVE to see us with jordan davis. i get the arguments against him, but i think hes rare, i really think hes one of the true studs in this draft class, and my brain says any of those others are better prospects, but my heart says davis is THAT guy, and i think hed be a huge identity pick for us.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
man id really like to land JJ, gardner, stingley, ojabo, or walker, but id LOVE to see us with jordan davis. i get the arguments against him, but i think hes rare, i really think hes one of the true studs in this draft class, and my brain says any of those others are better prospects, but my heart says davis is THAT guy, and i think hed be a huge identity pick for us.

i think he'd be a fun consolation prize if we missed out on most of those other guys - i certainly dont agree with those who dont think he's worth a 1st round pick - but there's definitely some merit to the idea that you'll get more value out of a 1st round pick at those other positions

if those other guys are gone and jordan davis is the pick (even over ojabo i wouldnt mind either tbh) then that's fine by me - draft the sure-thing athletic freak inside and build around him

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i think he'd be a fun consolation prize if we missed out on most of those other guys - i certainly dont agree with those who dont think he's worth a 1st round pick - but there's definitely some merit to the idea that you'll get more value out of a 1st round pick at those other positions

if those other guys are gone and jordan davis is the pick (even over ojabo i wouldnt mind either tbh) then that's fine by me - draft the sure-thing athletic freak inside and build around him
not sure I'd call Davis a consolation prize, imo.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor

22D4DCD6-F08A-481E-81B4-E3EEF66E0998.jpeg

with this post-combine updated ranking, I find myself drafting Davis almost all the time (I’m too cheap to pay for a premium account to do trades). So I’m slowly talking myself into him being our pick haha.

if he’s there though, I’m hoping chargers tilt and want to leapfrog the eagles to grab him. After adding Mack, Davis would be the perfect addition to their Dline. Maybe they move up to grab him like they did with Kenneth Murray.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
3 players who are new to me but that I am really liking
Andrew booth
Roger mccreary
the receiver from USC

rossihunter2

Staff Member
3 players who are new to me but that I am really liking
Andrew booth
Roger mccreary
the receiver from USC

yes
yes
idk

mccreary's a classic film vs measureables guy who might be available in the 2nd round because his arms are sub-29" and because he only ran 4.50 - 2 very important metrics for corners tbf and maybe he's a nickel in the pros but my god is the film fun (and notably against the best competition it's possible to face in college for 4 years) - he competed and locked down against everyone

booth's a lot of fun on tape - has a weird thing where he seems to lose balance and be caught a bit flat-footed at times but he has all the athleticism, length, physicality and fluidity that you'd want out of a press corner - love how aggressive he is too

i havent got to drake london yet - but i will preface that im not usually a fan of big receivers like that though