• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2022 General Draft Thoughts

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm not convinced it is, our IOL is solid (as long as we keep Bozeman) and we have Stanley, James and maybe Vilaneuva next year at tackle. The interesting part at both OL and RB will be whether they come back as good as they were. I can see some insurance gets, but we don't need to jump the gun and start rebuilding either room.
Yeah, and we also thought we had Stanley coming back from injury this year. How did that turn out? Also, you really want to depend on James? How many full seasons has he played? Even when healthy he wasn't exactly a dominate force or anything.

ChainedBird

Practice Squad
i think there's no more valuable position than OT and if an OT is the best guy then great

worst case then you've got the future of the position in place and even if he's not ready straight away we've got a viable option at LT that isnt villanueva
best case then you've got Stanley back at LT and you have guys at RT who allow the young guy time to learn if he needs it and if he doesnt then he instantly makes the team better and helps fix the weakest part of the offence

Yeah, and we also thought we had Stanley coming back from injury this year. How did that turn out? Also, you really want to depend on James? How many full seasons has he played? Even when healthy he wasn't exactly a dominate force or anything.

I've had a chance to sleep on it and rewatch the Bengals game again and I'm pretty sure I'm wrong here. The level of pressure allowed is crippling to any QB (even Lamar). As long as we go defense for most of our picks I could totally see an early round tackle to work in and around Stanley and James. Regardless of how this season goes I do not want a depleted OL/RB room next season!

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I've had a chance to sleep on it and rewatch the Bengals game again and I'm pretty sure I'm wrong here. The level of pressure allowed is crippling to any QB (even Lamar). As long as we go defense for most of our picks I could totally see an early round tackle to work in and around Stanley and James. Regardless of how this season goes I do not want a depleted OL/RB room next season!

if everything goes great then we've got 3 good tackles in 2022 (and we get to pick the best of james vs villanueva and cut the other to save cap) and then we've also got the future at tackle here too beyond 2023

if everything goes wrong with ronnie then we've got our potential LT of the future in the building

i think there's no way EDC looks at this team the way it's playing and sees a bigger need than tackle even with how bad the defence is playing

ChainedBird

Practice Squad
if everything goes great then we've got 3 good tackles in 2022 (and we get to pick the best of james vs villanueva and cut the other to save cap) and then we've also got the future at tackle here too beyond 2023

if everything goes wrong with ronnie then we've got our potential LT of the future in the building

i think there's no way EDC looks at this team the way it's playing and sees a bigger need than tackle even with how bad the defence is playing

Agreed on the tackle front. My urgency around defense drafting is less about recent performance on a very injured team (though an upgrade or two wouldn't go amiss) and more about the age of some of the guys. Our front 7 in particular could be in rough shape if Campbell, Williams and Houston retire/don't get resigned/are cap casualties at the end of the season.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Agreed on the tackle front. My urgency around defense drafting is less about recent performance on a very injured team (though an upgrade or two wouldn't go amiss) and more about the age of some of the guys. Our front 7 in particular could be in rough shape if Campbell, Williams and Houston retire/don't get resigned/are cap casualties at the end of the season.

i mean i guess ive been expecting a defensive regression once we started paying guys on offence anyway - i do fully expect us to draft heavily on defence over the next few years but worth pointing out that we've already started investing in the defence with high picks the last couple of years: Queen, Madubuike, Harrison, Oweh and Stephens

and i do think that will continue - especially as i think OT is really the only obvious offensive position where we might invest any significant capital - we've got our franchise QB, 2 recent 1st rounders at WR, a franchise TE, tons of depth at IOL, 2 good RBs until at least 2023...

DL especially is going to be a point of significant emphasis but i think we're seeing that nothing can tank this team faster than an OT

i would not be surprised if we saw a 1st or 2nd round pick at OT and maybe a double dip on day 3 at OT too with almost every other pick on defence...

that sort of draft would not surprise me at all albeit with as many 4th rounders as we have i'd be surprised if there wasnt a casual day 3 RB pick in there too lol

not pre-empting a need-centric draft but BPA often fills a need anyway...

only exception might be if there's an amazing C available...

rossihunter2

Staff Member

worryingly regarding how many QBs get taken before the ravens pick to push guys down the board....

this is a pretty cold take it seems from what ive seen of all the top guys so far...

now tbf ive not seen any of Malik Willis yet
but...
Pickett hasnt moved the needle a ton for me yet
Corral has some nice moments especially off play-action but not convinced me at all so far
Howell actually still interests me a bit but has had a really tough season since all the NFL talent left last year
Ridder I thought was intriguing before he went back to college this year and has played well... but again like Pickett im not sure how much he moves the needle as an NFL prospect

ive not done any tape study yet but just from what ive seen, it would not surprise me if sam howell is the guy the NFL thinks most highly of right now

ChainedBird

Practice Squad
Nicholas Petit-Frere from Ohio State would be a great late first prospect if he's still on the board. Really athletic tackle with experience at both LT and RT. He can be the day one starter at RT, or possibly LT if Stanley's injury continues to be an issue. He fills a hole no matter how things look next season.

Just to bring this post back, this really does sound like the perfect guy. His two slight knocks are that his hand usage can become a bit inconsistent when under pressure and he's sometimes a bit deep in the pocket, all very coachable. Other than that he's a well above average 7/8 out of 10 at every other area (speed, length, strength, mirroring ability, general foot/hand usage, anchor etc) without being truly elite in any one area.

My main concern is that he may be a bit too good of a prospect for us and may be gone by the time we get to pick.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Just to bring this post back, this really does sound like the perfect guy. His two slight knocks are that his hand usage can become a bit inconsistent when under pressure and he's sometimes a bit deep in the pocket, all very coachable. Other than that he's a well above average 7/8 out of 10 at every other area (speed, length, strength, mirroring ability, general foot/hand usage, anchor etc) without being truly elite in any one area.

My main concern is that he may be a bit too good of a prospect for us and may be gone by the time we get to pick.

worth noting also that the ravens very much have a type when they look at tackles - length (especially arm length) is very important when looking at a tackle’s profile

ChainedBird

Practice Squad
worth noting also that the ravens very much have a type when they look at tackles - length (especially arm length) is very important when looking at a tackle’s profile

Offhand that might suggest Thayer Munford as a more likely option. He's a bit bigger, stronger, and more experienced (only at LT though) than Petit-Frere and has elite length, but unlike PF he struggles a bit with the faster guys. Reminds me a little of the strength/weakness profile of OBJ.

He recently lost the LT spot to PF (who shifted over from RT) and got bumped inside to LG on the Ohio line, which suggests his draft value may be lower...

Argentina Raven

Practice Squad
BAL
29.Nakobe Dean
LB Georgia
BAL
61.Jaquan Brisker
S Penn State
BAL
95.Martin Emerson
CB Mississippi State
BAL
101.Nick Broeker
OT Mississippi
BAL
110.Nolan Smith
EDGE Georgia
BAL
133.David Ojabo
EDGE Michigan
BAL
134.Phidarian Mathis
DT Alabama
BAL
137.Devonte Wyatt
DT Georgia
BAL
138.Tariq Castro-Fields
CB Penn State

Algo así, será muy defensivo?

Something like that, will it be very defensive?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Offhand that might suggest Thayer Munford as a more likely option. He's a bit bigger, stronger, and more experienced (only at LT though) than Petit-Frere and has elite length, but unlike PF he struggles a bit with the faster guys. Reminds me a little of the strength/weakness profile of OBJ.

He recently lost the LT spot to PF (who shifted over from RT) and got bumped inside to LG on the Ohio line, which suggests his draft value may be lower...
Rasheed walker and Charles cross both have absurd length, and are both stellar athletes. Charles cross is a real sleeper in this super deep OT class and I’d like him late in the first. Also Trevor penning, great length, he’s an absolute bully, and he’s a freak athlete, like Spencer brown but a mean son of a bitch.

I read on a twitter that a Raven scout was in the Georgia-Florida match
(There were 5 in total), so Georgia defensive linemen, get ready .....
I really want Adam Anderson or Jordan Davis in Baltimore. Jordan Davis looks special, but Adam Anderson is so underrated, he’s a rotational guy but he’s got seriously great pass rush skill, he’s not raw there either, he’d step on the field and be a great rusher right away, it’s just the size and the edge setting that would worry you but tbh I just want a guy who can go get the qb on third down ffs. Also, Brenton cox jr out of Florida, he’s got some quality film, he was dismissed from his former team for undisclosed reasons though which definitely makes you pause and wonder wtf happened

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Rasheed walker and Charles cross both have absurd length, and are both stellar athletes. Charles cross is a real sleeper in this super deep OT class and I’d like him late in the first. Also Trevor penning, great length, he’s an absolute bully, and he’s a freak athlete, like Spencer brown but a mean son of a bitch.

I really want Adam Anderson or Jordan Davis in Baltimore. Jordan Davis looks special, but Adam Anderson is so underrated, he’s a rotational guy but he’s got seriously great pass rush skill, he’s not raw there either, he’d step on the field and be a great rusher right away, it’s just the size and the edge setting that would worry you but tbh I just want a guy who can go get the qb on third down ffs. Also, Brenton cox jr out of Florida, he’s got some quality film, he was dismissed from his former team for undisclosed reasons though which definitely makes you pause and wonder wtf happened

i cant wait to properly study these Georgia defences this offseason - gonna enjoy watching their tape multiple times just because of how many prospects there are on that defence

ChainedBird

Practice Squad

I'm feeling the Georgia love, their defense has been insane so far this year, stars at every level. Adam Anderson would be a really nice long term pairing with Oweh.

Jordan Davis is my fav draft prospect so far, hes just so big and strong and explosive, there's not a more impactful college D-lineman. Would love to get him in the first round as a replacement/upgrade from an old Brandon Williams and his £12.9M cap hit. Also really liking Devonte Wyatt, could see us mebbe scooping up both of them with one of the infamous EDC double dips in the first and third.

Argentina Raven

Practice Squad
The question with Jordan Davis is why does he play so few snaps compared to his teammates?
wyatt, travon walker, nolan smith, nakobe dean, anderson, jalen carter (88), any of them would help us right now.

They haven't done anything to me, but since Elam, I distrust Florida kids, troublesome, little fond of training, it's not a university whose prospects inspire confidence in me

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The question with Jordan Davis is why does he play so few snaps compared to his teammates?
wyatt, travon walker, nolan smith, nakobe dean, anderson, jalen carter (88), any of them would help us right now.

They haven't done anything to me, but since Elam, I distrust Florida kids, troublesome, little fond of training, it's not a university whose prospects inspire confidence in me

idk because i havent watched the tape yet

but notable that i (and others) had a similar question about christian barmore last year at alabama - dominant guy at times but spent a lot of time on the bench too