• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

‘Wink’ is the New Defensive Coordinator

The Raven

Veteran
Oh? Tony Lombardi is reporting a rumor on RSR? Again? Color me surprised.

When this happens or when it comes from someone more reputable than Tony I'll believe it.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Oh? Tony Lombardi is reporting a rumor on RSR? Again? Color me surprised.

When this happens or when it comes from someone more reputable than Tony I'll believe it.

Who else is going to make Odell Beckham Jr. look like a stud? Pees always does that. He's just a one trick pony! What a fraud!

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
How about Anthony Weaver, the Texans' d-line coach? He's done a really good job of coaching up young players and helping them succeed. Also, he's a former Ravens' player, so he's used to our culture and what the Ravens try to be.

He’s an older guy so who coached for a while so it wouldn’t shock me if decides to retire but I need more reliable information than this. If this does happen the FO needs to find someone who can run a system similar to pees’ system. Also no to pagano even though I kinda doubt he’s on our radar after how Indy turned out.

Last edited:

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
He’s an older guy so it wouldn’t shock me if decides to retire. No to pagano although I highly doubt he’s on our radar.
I kind of feel bad for Pagano tbh. He has an impossible job. Not his fault that the FO in Indy has basically abused Andrew Luck to no end.

I kind of hope it isn't true tbh. I have my fundamental problems with Pees, but he's not as terrible as many members here suggest. The defense is the main reason why we look like we're about to make the playoffs again. Keeping him at the helm would be ideal

I kind of feel bad for Pagano tbh. He has an impossible job. Not his fault that the FO in Indy has basically abused Andrew Luck to no end.

I kind of hope it isn't true tbh. I have my fundamental problems with Pees, but he's not as terrible as many members here suggest. The defense is the main reason why we look like we're about to make the playoffs again. Keeping him at the helm would be ideal
People will probably continue to hate on him but it’s really hard to argue with the product. He has coached one of best defenses in the league this year and that is undeniable. Turnovers, ints, and sacks are all up from last year with us being at the very top of the league in two of those categories.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I wouldnt be against marvin lewis as our new DC. The guy knows defensive talent too. Would finally get us a fucking pass rush in the draft lol
I don't want Marvin Lewis but the way you put it makes me think twice. He's always got defensive studs across the board. It's crazy how much great talent has come and gone under Marvin Lewis and without them even sniffing contention.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm not sure why the news of Dean Pees Retirement is being met with such woe and consternation .

He's an intelligent guy , an extremely knowledgeable coach and could I'm certain, be an Ivy League educator on the subject and philosophy of constructing an NFL defense . This doesn't make him an excellent coordinator. No more than having a master's in composition and orchestration might of necessity make one a great composer .

It is time to bring in a fresh perspective in terms of scheme, play calling and player evaluation. Someone to see these players for the first time and get the absolute best out of them.

I'm excited to see who the organization brings in, Not bothered in the slightest by his retirement .

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
If this is legit news, as it hasn't been reported officially yet, then I would love to have Pagano back. If we're going in-house then Hewitt might deserve a shot with what he's done with the secondary. Other than that, I would try to find a young, promising DC to inject some new ideas into the defense. Pees has done a decent job in his time here, but it would be nice to see some more creativity in our defense.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
If this is legit news, as it hasn't been reported officially yet, then I would love to have Pagano back. If we're going in-house then Hewitt might deserve a shot with what he's done with the secondary. Other than that, I would try to find a young, promising DC to inject some new ideas into the defense. Pees has done a decent job in his time here, but it would be nice to see some more creativity in our defense.
I don’t believe Hewitt is ready for the job as DC yet, but certainly could be in the future.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm not sure why the news of Dean Pees Retirement is being met with such woe and consternation .

He's an intelligent guy , an extremely knowledgeable coach and could I'm certain, be an Ivy League educator on the subject and philosophy of constructing an NFL defense . This doesn't make him an excellent coordinator. No more than having a master's in composition and orchestration might of necessity make one a great composer .

It is time to bring in a fresh perspective in terms of scheme, play calling and player evaluation. Someone to see these players for the first time and get the absolute best out of them.

I'm excited to see who the organization brings in, Not bothered in the slightest by his retirement .

have you not been watching this year's defence?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Are you really worried?
Or is it that much fun to spell defense with a "c" ?

no offence dude but this is how defence is spelt in england (you know where english comes from lol...)

but seriously id be worried if pees left, mainly because there's no obvious in house candidate to replace him which means a new coordinator likely comes in and changes things - and while that could improve things it could also undo the great things about this defence i.e. the opportunism and the most lethal defensive package in football (our dime package)

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
no offence dude but this is how defence is spelt in england (you know where english comes from lol...)

but seriously id be worried if pees left, mainly because there's no obvious in house candidate to replace him which means a new coordinator likely comes in and changes things - and while that could improve things it could also undo the great things about this defence i.e. the opportunism and the most lethal defensive package in football (our dime package)
Clearly I'm joking with you. Besides we speak American here (also a joke).
We'll be better than fine. It's a positive and no cause for alarm.