• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

‘Wink’ is the New Defensive Coordinator

Tru11

Practice Squad
No fucking player does, you're still doing this? That 4th and 12 play is a perfect example of why there are no "basics" to execute In his complicated as fuck scheme. Yeah let's have 2 primary deep cover guys in weddle and Mosley show blitz on 4th and 12, because they'll be able to reach their zone quick enough right?

canady was the deep man and have played his zone with the eyes on the QB he could have made a play on the ball as what a player with that assignment is supposed to do.

lets not even go into the atrocious job they did trying to make the tackle afterwards or the lack of hustle from certain players to the ball......

you had guys fail to make the tackle of wrap up during the season
you had guys who could not even tackle the QB or run right pass them for god knows whatever reason.
busted coverages and such.

those things are killing when you are trying to be agressive on defense.
not to mention actually making adjustments or passing assignments to others pre snap only increases the complexity rather then lowering it.

bad communication will be killing and with so many young players it wont be easy.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
what exactly about canady assignment was complicated?
what was complicated about making the freaking tackle after the ball was caught?
yeah let's ignore that Mosley was assigned to the zone under the completion and weddle over the top, and that ball is almost certainly picked or swatted by Mosley if he isn't left trying to cover a deep zone from the a-gap. Canady blew it, but Mosley and weddle are perfectly positioned to defend it IF they aren't assigned to show blitz. So it was schemed right except for the fact that pees ALWAYS has to get extra cute and emphasize confusion and deception over talent and execution. He has always been this way and most of us see it, you still don't and expect players to execute when put in very difficult positions. He has failed to put our guys in the best position possible in key moments, he's actually done the exact opposite.

It's not all his fault, don't get me wrong, the talent is lacking in a good number of ways, but pees has refused to use guys for what they do best for the sake of deception, how can anyone execute when pees plays them out of their skillset?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
canady was the deep man and have played his zone with the eyes on the QB he could have made a play on the ball as what a player with that assignment is supposed to do.

lets not even go into the atrocious job they did trying to make the tackle afterwards or the lack of hustle from certain players to the ball......

you had guys fail to make the tackle of wrap up during the season
you had guys who could not even tackle the QB or run right pass them for god knows whatever reason.
busted coverages and such.

those things are killing when you are trying to be agressive on defense.
not to mention actually making adjustments or passing assignments to others pre snap only increases the complexity rather then lowering it.

bad communication will be killing and with so many young players it wont be easy.
Whiffed sacks, wonder if that's such an issue if ZDS wasn't consistently used as a DPR while Tim Williams plays the run on first and second down and rides the pine on his ideal snaps.

Again, misuse of talent cuz "muh deception, muh disguise"

NYSE5

Practice Squad
Whiffed sacks, wonder if that's such an issue if ZDS wasn't consistently used as a DPR while Tim Williams plays the run on first and second down and rides the pine on his ideal snaps.

So Dean Pres was to blame for every failure and it had nothing to do with talent. "Wink" is the new savior.....until he fails.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

I saw nothing from Williams at any point in the season to suggest that if you just sent him in purely to pass rush that he could pull that off. If he isn't good enough to be a pire pass rusher than why pit him in over players who aren't predictable on passing downs.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I saw nothing from Williams at any point in the season to suggest that if you just sent him in purely to pass rush that he could pull that off. If he isn't good enough to be a pire pass rusher than why pit him in over players who aren't predictable on passing downs.
But he showed more than you saw apparently, because in his very rare opportunities he flashed, ZDS on the other hand couldn't make a sack if he had a free run because he couldn't stay on his feet literally ever.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

if you want evidence of timmy williams dominating on a pure pass rush snap look at the linked gif in my signature

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
And if this is the case why is he on the field defending the run which he definitely can't do? Pure pass rushers arethere to fucking pass rush, McPhee and dumervil were pure rushers, you didn't see pees taking them off the field on third down.

You think "don't play pure pass rushers on third down because it's predictable" and wonder why we can't get pressure... it's because scheme and deception take precedent over pass rush.

Somerset Ravens

Pro Bowler
But he showed more than you saw apparently, because in his very rare opportunities he flashed, ZDS on the other hand couldn't make a sack if he had a free run because he couldn't stay on his feet literally ever.

It was curious last season that in passing situations ZDS would get the call over Timmy Williams and Tyus Bowser. It made me think that Williams and Bowser must have pissed off somebody. Hopefully Wink can utilize both Williams and Bowser better this year.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It was curious last season that in passing situations ZDS would get the call over Timmy Williams and Tyus Bowser. It made me think that Williams and Bowser must have pissed off somebody. Hopefully Wink can utilize both Williams and Bowser better this year.
I certainly hope so and think they will take a major step up in yr two. We atleast need that from one of them.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
The strangest part was that we would actually see them lining up on early downs and be removed for ZDS on third and long. It was maddening.

Timmy flashed on a very small scale. Bowser with slightly more playing time looked like a future monster, he looked very good in his limited role. Yet ZDS got the nod nearly every time

Sandtown

Pro Bowler

I think Timmy Williams and Tyus Bowser really got lost in the sauce due to how well Matt Judon and Terrell Suggs was performing on the field. ZDS definitely played better last year than in previous years but on obvious passing down he's playing the pass rushing role similar to Pernell Mcphee where he's rushing the passer at the defensive tackle spot while guys like Williams and Bowsers would ideally rush the pass rusher on the outside at their normal outside side linebacker/defensive end spot .

ZDS wasn't perfect but he probably was The Ravens best inside pass rusher last year so I understand the coaching staff feeling comfortable with keeping on the field on obvious passing downs. I would have liked to see Williams and Bowser more involved to give Suggs and Judon a breathier especially Suggs but I guess the coaching staff didn't trust two rookies pass rusher consistently to make plays when needed.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The strangest part was that we would actually see them lining up on early downs and be removed for ZDS on third and long. It was maddening.

Timmy flashed on a very small scale. Bowser with slightly more playing time looked like a future monster, he looked very good in his limited role. Yet ZDS got the nod nearly every time

i was trying to find footage of timmy williams beating joe thomas round the edge in week 2 but i cant find the game footage - but while searching for tim williams snaps i found this headline from november:

Ravens rank No. 26 in NFL in rookie snap counts

and it's depressing because our rookies showed enough that they should have been on the field more and in better situations
we saw earlier in the year that marlon should have been playing more (and to be fair he did and then he became a starter when jimmy went down)
bowser got rookie of the week early on and timmy beat joe thomas clean round the edge in limited playing time (i didnt realise timmy had migraine issues - could that have maybe contributed - i never saw that reported during the year only with regards to alex collins did i hear anything about migraines but apparently that was an issue for timmy)

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i was trying to find footage of timmy williams beating joe thomas round the edge in week 2 but i cant find the game footage - but while searching for tim williams snaps i found this headline from november:

Ravens rank No. 26 in NFL in rookie snap counts

and it's depressing because our rookies showed enough that they should have been on the field more and in better situations
we saw earlier in the year that marlon should have been playing more (and to be fair he did and then he became a starter when jimmy went down)
bowser got rookie of the week early on and timmy beat joe thomas clean round the edge in limited playing time (i didnt realise timmy had migraine issues - could that have maybe contributed - i never saw that reported during the year only with regards to alex collins did i hear anything about migraines but apparently that was an issue for timmy)
i remember that play lol, thomas didnt fuck up or step late or anything, he backpedaled and positioned himself as the best LT in the league would on any snap, timmy literally just blew the fuck by him and all he needed was a little hand slap to keep his distance around the bend.

people who jump on a rookies case like this, do NOT watch the game between the lines and notice these things. not to say tim williams actually did anything to earn a big role or anything like that, but to say he showed nothing at all and he doesnt deserve snaps over zadarius fucking smith who probably spent more time face down on the field than any player in the league last year, is laughable.

zadarius smith can bring pressure, but goddamn is he bad when it comes time to finish. it was almost funny, when the camera shows a big clusterfuck of trench play and then 2 lone players in the pocket, its the qb standing tall and zadarius smith flat on his fucking face. like how often did we see that exact thing?

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
i remember that play lol, thomas didnt fuck up or step late or anything, he backpedaled and positioned himself as the best LT in the league would on any snap, timmy literally just blew the fuck by him and all he needed was a little hand slap to keep his distance around the bend.

people who jump on a rookies case like this, do NOT watch the game between the lines and notice these things. not to say tim williams actually did anything to earn a big role or anything like that, but to say he showed nothing at all and he doesnt deserve snaps over zadarius fucking smith who probably spent more time face down on the field than any player in the league last year, is laughable.

zadarius smith can bring pressure, but goddamn is he bad when it comes time to finish. it was almost funny, when the camera shows a big clusterfuck of trench play and then 2 lone players in the pocket, its the qb standing tall and zadarius smith flat on his fucking face. like how often did we see that exact thing?
lmaooo

rossihunter2

Staff Member

and what's depressing is that by the end of the season qbs didnt even get flushed out of the pocket because they knew ZDS would fall/trip over trying to change direction so they just sidestep him and know they have extra time to look downfield

his pressure literally added more time for most qbs if they recognised that it was ZDS who'd gotten "pressure"

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
and what's depressing is that by the end of the season qbs didnt even get flushed out of the pocket because they knew ZDS would fall/trip over trying to change direction so they just sidestep him and know they have extra time to look downfield

his pressure literally added more time for most qbs if they recognised that it was ZDS who'd gotten "pressure"
I almost suspect that blockers are told to ignore him and focus elsewhere