• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

‘Wink’ is the New Defensive Coordinator

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Or

or were you trying to say bouye gave up tds his 1st season also yet he turned out alright?
no I wasn't. I misunderstood what you were trying to say. I was saying that Bouye didn't play as well as Humphry did in his first season. Humphry didn't give up a touchdown during the season.

For you not to like Bouye, that's just insane. He almost did the unheard of this year and kept opposing quarterbacks with a qbr under 30. It ended up being just above 30 qbr for the all season, but was under 30 for 14 or 15 wks. If you don't like that, you don't like anyone.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
but i dont get that - one flaw does not make him a bad corner - as he showed with how well he played for the entire year - he didnt give up 1 td all year...

and you're neglecting to see the things that he has improved from college like his hip flips and his discipline in zone coverage... in fact he has even improved at breaking on the ball... my one criticism of him would be getting his head around earlier but that's a fairly normal thing for a rookie corner to struggle with especially one who so consistently is left in press coverage...

i dont get how you only deal with absolutes - being not great at one of a vast number of elements of corner back suddenly makes him not good? if that's the case then 95% of the league's corners absolutely suck

he was ranked as the 17th best corner for a reason and it's borne out in both the tape and in the stats... you could argue he should be a bit lower or a bit higher than 17th but there is no shame in being a top 30 corner in the league... i think you'd struggle to name more than 25 corners who you could make argument are better than marlon already in the league
yeah, everyone isn't Revis, Deion, or Darrell Green. It just doen't work that way, then again, maybe Deebo didn't like these three corners. They could be trash in his eyes.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
but i dont get that - one flaw does not make him a bad corner - as he showed with how well he played for the entire year - he didnt give up 1 td all year...

and you're neglecting to see the things that he has improved from college like his hip flips and his discipline in zone coverage... in fact he has even improved at breaking on the ball... my one criticism of him would be getting his head around earlier but that's a fairly normal thing for a rookie corner to struggle with especially one who so consistently is left in press coverage...

i dont get how you only deal with absolutes - being not great at one of a vast number of elements of corner back suddenly makes him not good? if that's the case then 95% of the league's corners absolutely suck

he was ranked as the 17th best corner for a reason and it's borne out in both the tape and in the stats... you could argue he should be a bit lower or a bit higher than 17th but there is no shame in being a top 30 corner in the league... i think you'd struggle to name more than 25 corners who you could make argument are better than marlon already in the league
Pat p, ramsey, bouye, malcolm butler, tradevon white, rhodes, casey hayward, peters, tramaine johnson, slay, jenkins, trufunt, talib, harris, sherman,jimmy smith lol, norman,lattimore,fuller.. all i can come up with for now

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
no I wasn't. I misunderstood what you were trying to say. I was saying that Bouye didn't play as well as Humphry did in his first season. Humphry didn't give up a touchdown during the season.

For you not to like Bouye, that's just insane. He almost did the unheard of this year and kept opposing quarterbacks with a qbr under 30. It ended up being just above 30 qbr for the all season, but was under 30 for 14 or 15 wks. If you don't like that, you don't like anyone.
Bouye is nice no doubt but brady picked on him simply cause he never looks for the ball

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Weddle said that new DC Wink Martindale is “bringing a lot of elements that we haven’t had. ... We’re changing a lot of stuff.” Weddle said Players have more responsibility in Martindale’s defense.
is this good or bad? i mean i can we can already tell he is gonna be agressive but will our players be ready enough to handle this

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
At least Wink's defense should be taking the approach of "playing to win" instead of "playing not to lose" like Pees' defense did so many times in the 4th quarter. That alone gets me excited to see Wink's version of this defense in action.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
we have some pretty good defensive readers - CJ is especially good pre-snap so i do trust them
Was going to say. CJ and Weddle are two of the smartest respective defensive players in the league. I trust the defense going forward.
We need Tim Williams to break out though.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I’ll be interested to see what weight he comes into training camp at
He looked too big last year, I never saw his weight listing but he looked bigger than the 250 he played at his final year at bama, and it wasn't a good looking gain either, he was real big in the midsection especially in preseason.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He looked too big last year, I never saw his weight listing but he looked bigger than the 250 he played at his final year at bama, and it wasn't a good looking gain either, he was real big in the midsection especially in preseason.

im hoping he gets a bit leaner again and that combined with essentially a red shirt year and a potentially more attacking philosophy by our DC and hopefully he gets the opportunity to go out and hunt the qb this year