• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Week 15 Discussion (Other Teams)

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
You disagree with the RULE. The call was right without question, based on the rule, the rule might be bullshit, but they called it right and they make the right call pretty consistently based on the rule
Lol we said this at the exact same time

Tank

Hall of Famer
I hear ya. I disagree with the call, but my opinion doesn't matter one iota.
Yeah, it’s a dumb and stupid interpretation of the rule that was put in place after the Dez Bryant thing a couple of years ago. Yes, you have to complete the catch, but IMO stretching the ball across the goal line and it hitting the ground shouldn’t equal an incompletion. It’s not a situation where the ground assisted the catch. Regardless, it’s a bullshit rule they came up with to cover their asses. lol

K-Dog

MVP
Yeah, it’s a dumb and stupid interpretation of the rule that was put in place after the Dez Bryant thing a couple of years ago. Yes, you have to complete the catch, but IMO stretching the ball across the goal line and it hitting the ground shouldn’t equal an incompletion. It’s not a situation where the ground assisted the catch. Regardless, it’s a bullshit rule they came up with to cover their asses. lol
Or to stay on Kraft's payroll ?

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
No, this clarifies it completely.

Right call.

I still wanted the pats to lose.

Not as much as I did (do).

Agree. He caught it and extended it and only after that ball touched the ground and moved.
However, they cornered themselves into it by over complicating the definition of the catch. There has to be some bottom line to avoid too much personal interpretation by the refs and this is it for time being.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
It was always a rule(or at least a long time rule) but it was brought to light way earlier than that with the megatron TD where he put the ball on the ground to stand himself up to celebrate and let go of the ball as he stood, it's been an issue ever since

Tank

Hall of Famer
It was always a rule(or at least a long time rule) but it was brought to light way earlier than that with the megatron TD where he put the ball on the ground to stand himself up to celebrate and let go of the ball as he stood, it's been an issue ever since
Right, which was wrong. lol. That interpretation was “brought to light” and continues to be used to cover their asses. Definitely not the spirit of the original rule.

Pats

Veteran
I always thought as long as the ball breaks the plane it is a touch down. Once the ball breaks the plane the play is over.

But yeah that whole game was fantastic.
I thought it was a catch but I also thought that his knee hit the ground an inch or 2 out from the goalline. Either way the never ending what is a catch in the NFL continues. As a pats fan this is perfect for me though, it gives them false hope for the playoffs if we face them and makes all the yinzers seething with rage.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I thought it was a catch but I also thought that his knee hit the ground an inch or 2 out from the goalline. Either way the never ending what is a catch in the NFL continues. As a pats fan this is perfect for me though, it gives them false hope for the playoffs if we face them and makes all the yinzers seething with rage.
The fact his knee was down before the ball broke a plain is irrelevant - he was not touched. Had every right to continue the play.

Pats

Veteran
The fact his knee was down before the ball broke a plain is irrelevant - he was not touched. Had every right to continue the play.
Hmm in that case it was a TD in my eyes. But oddly i've seen untouched players with a knee down be flagged down there instead of being able to continue.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Hmm in that case it was a TD in my eyes. But oddly i've seen untouched players with a knee down be flagged down there instead of being able to continue.
There's receiver vs runner distinction in play here. Runner can just brake a plain with the ball and it's a TD if he wasn't down beforehand (no need to be touched). Receiver can be on the ground untouched and continue play but he must control the ball throughout the catch. James didn't, it bobbled when it touched the ground.