• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, the Bad, and the Browns (Again): Week 15 Edition

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Here's the thing. We can't control who we play. It's not like the Ravens chose the 16 sorriest teams in the league to make their schedule. Yes, we played several backups, but that's not/wasn't our problem. The organization is well aware of this as well.

In addition, if we make the playoffs, we're entering a "new season." Every one starts out 0-0. Anything goes in the playoffs. But since you brought up the schedule, take a look at the Steelers. Outside of two teams, they play every team we play this season. As much as it pissed me off to watch win 8 straight, let's not act like they were blowing teams out of the water.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Not sure what was wrong with CJ playing the Steelers, but something wasn’t right. You could tell by his body language that he wasn’t 100%.
Mosley would get beaten multiple times in one drive and just hang his head. He was a sadboi

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Given that i missed the game im starting to go through the film now and ive come across something i really liked on the first drive:

on 3rd and 4 we go 3 wide with wallace outside on the left, camp in the slot, watson at tight end to the right side and moore wide right - and then slightly as guys get set woodhead sets up in the slot to the right side

- watching that alignment and seeing the way the browns had to cover those spots i instantly said in my head that even if it doesnt lead to a conversion i want to see that personnel grouping and that alignment more often because it causes defences different problems that they have to think about which invariably gives the receivers more space

- 3 separate guys (at least) all were open for likely 3rd down conversions, wallace used the soft cushion to drive past the 3rd down marker and come back to the ball, camp got beyond his guy in the slot and if it hadnt have been 3rd down and flacco held the ball longer might have ended up in the endzone because he beat his guy very quickly off the LoS, woodhead was also open about a yard short of the marker but a leading throw would have got him YAC enough for the first down if he hadnt bobbled

- we got cleveland into a difficult spot because they had guys in the middle of the field who were essentially out of the game - they had an ilb standing up on the edge who had to drop to help out the coverage towards wallace and camp and the linebacker in the middle of the field was blitzing (it was only a rush 4 but with some deception) but it cleared out the middle of the field because the other linebacker had to follow woodhead to the slot the other side

- because we spread them out they had very little safety help which meant both our outside receivers got really soft coverage worried about getting beat over the top because we have outside speed in moore and wallace so wallace's comeback route was a really nice option

but as i say the thing that got me buzzed was the personnel grouping and the alignment because it felt really complementary

rossihunter2

Staff Member
slowly making my way through some more film:

interesting that humphrey followed gordon a little bit and the defence was organised (humphrey, carr and canady) to reassign themselves the right receiver to cover - gordon got open vs carr but dropped the ball

i also liked seeing chris moore find a nice soft spot in the zone between 4 defenders on 3rd and long and what was even better to see was joe zipped him a beautiful looking football but moore couldnt hold on - it was a positive and negative play all at once - everything apart from the catch was a really promising play but the lack of the catch was obviously disappointing and on 3rd down really cant be happening

rossihunter2

Staff Member
also want to say i havent even finished the 1st quarter yet and matt judon has sniffed out 3 plays incredibly well already - obviously we want him to develop into a game wrecking pass rusher but the other facets of his game i.e. coverage and edge setting have made phenomenal strides - he's legitimately a problem doing those things - not only is it his athleticism but he's recognising and reacting to plays so quickly - he looks really sharp mentally and i hope he continues to improve his rush off the edge because if he can start consistently causing havoc then he vaults himself to the top of the nfl at 3-4 olb

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
canady 1v1 in the slot vs gordon on a critical 3rd down was in gordon's pocket the whole way... suggs got pressure but kizer steps up and for about 5 seconds canady has gordon locked up the whole time - kizer was forced to make an awkward throw and forced it towards the other side and weddle intercepted

canady has been an unbelievable find in the slot - you've gotta think tavon young is gonna have a fight on his hands - canady probably enters the offseason as the incumbent starter and itll be on tavon to beat him out (that is unless canady earns a starting spot on the outside...)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
also credit to cleveland's defence - their tackling needs to improve but they had good coverage a lot of the time, myles garrett is a 1 man wrecking ball and their run defence is pretty good

probably the best defence we've played since we started playing better on offence tbh - problem is we also have an opportunistic defence and the best punter in the league so unless you make big plays we are gonna suffocate other teams to death with field position if we cant outright score

rossihunter2

Staff Member
the personnel grouping that i live for in the passing game is also the grouping that facilitated the final scoring drive of the first half - 2 minute drill and we had moore, camp, watson and wallace in as receivers with woodhead in the backfield either splitting wide or staying in to help pass protect (which he did for watson's td)

i just really like how complementary these guys skillsets are and how it helps engineer openings - moore and camp draw the safety both going deep but in different ways (moore's speed and camps agility and route running) - watson splits a double team of 2 linebackers early in his route - mike wallace on a crosser draws the attention of one of those linebackers as well as the db from his side which leaves ben watson wide open with the linebacker who remained in coverage unable to catch him and the safety late coming over because he was initially drawn to the other side of the field - danny woodhead stays in there and holds up the rusher which allows stanley to deal with the blitzer which gives him time to make that throw and joe throws a nice touch pass perfectly leading watson in stride to the endzone

I LIKE THIS GROUPING lol and i dont care if maclin's back next week i wanna see this 3 wide set more often

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Dime again: levine in the browns 1 minute drill plays incredibly perfect coverage on David Njoku - i know we play dime a lot but i really want to see us play it more because especially when playing vs the steelers/pats (teams that have matchup nightmares) it negates a lot of the mismatches if we can get levine/jefferson/clark in coverage on the tight end/rb - obviously the other team could just run it on us which is why we arent in dime 100% of the time but id be tempted to play it even more often than we have been

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
canady 1v1 in the slot vs gordon on a critical 3rd down was in gordon's pocket the whole way... suggs got pressure but kizer steps up and for about 5 seconds canady has gordon locked up the whole time - kizer was forced to make an awkward throw and forced it towards the other side and weddle intercepted

canady has been an unbelievable find in the slot - you've gotta think tavon young is gonna have a fight on his hands - canady probably enters the offseason as the incumbent starter and itll be on tavon to beat him out (that is unless canady earns a starting spot on the outside...)
I don’t know if Canady will be the incumbent starter. Young was an excellent slot corner until he had to move outside there and held his own on the outside for the most part as well. I like them both and feel they will need to fight it out, with Young having a slight edge.

It really is amazing how many talented young corners we have. Humphrey, Young, Canady and even Hill. Looking forward to watching them grow over the next few years.

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
also credit to cleveland's defence - their tackling needs to improve but they had good coverage a lot of the time, myles garrett is a 1 man wrecking ball and their run defence is pretty good

probably the best defence we've played since we started playing better on offence tbh - problem is we also have an opportunistic defence and the best punter in the league so unless you make big plays we are gonna suffocate other teams to death with field position if we cant outright score

Clevelands Run def is 6th in the league.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
so brandon williams has gone under the radar a bit later in the season because willie henry is flat out dominant - but 2nd and 9 in the 3rd quarter and williams takes on a double team and drives them both into the backfield, henry also destroys his man backwards and the two of them reset the LoS in the backfield, Judon takes on the pulling blocker and keeps him in the backfield and Pierce occupies 2 lineman which stops them from getting to the 2nd level - Peanut shoots the right gap because he's completely unblocked and takes down duke johnson for a 4 yard loss with a nice tackle - but even if peanut doesnt make that tackle he forces duke johnson back and out to his right where suggs is just kind of ponderously watching the play unfold while staying in control of the blocker in front of him

unbelievable play by the front 7 on that 1 play and its representative of why this team is so good on running downs with brandon williams in the game - his presence means that teams cant double team henry, judon or suggs - they have to win those fights with 1v1s and im betting on our 3 guys in those situations most of the time