• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, the Bad, and the Browns (Again): Week 15 Edition

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Peanut (Mosley too but that's more of a return to form) had a pretty great game - he had multiple snaps coming down hard in the right gap, he had one great shed on a guard where he just simply overpowered the guard who was trying to take him out of the play and then he made first contact with the runner and then on the kizer fumble in the endzone peanut had great coverage 10 yards deep on the browns receiver - all of that and we're only in the 3rd quarter - he's played ok the last few weeks and given that he's only a 2nd year im excited to see if he'll take another step forward next offseason - if he improves his coverage and we trust him more then it'll free up CJ even more at the LoS

rossihunter2

Staff Member
ZDS had a really nice move on that sack of kizer but he's still being really inconsistent in his rushing and run defence too - his next snap he doesnt squeeze down the line nearly enough and if it wasnt for crowell tripping on his own guy the 3 yard gain would have been a 7-8 yard gain - ZDS needed quicker recognition especially with the pulling tight end only being Njoku (not known for blocking and just sort of dived at his legs) - if ZDS gets in position there sooner he's in position to slow crowell down at the LoS

rossihunter2

Staff Member
hmmm so while i like jefferson at linebacker im not sure the answer is to just swap him and levine around... levine as a deep safety is not so good at recognition (he's much more dangerous as a db/rusher closer to the LoS) so if we are to see more of Jefferson at dimebacker - which i would like - id rather see webby come in on the backend or maybe drop canady deeper and bring in hill in the slot - maybe levine will get better but he id'd the completely wrong route on that play and allowed the browns an easy conversion to gordon who had gotten ahead of carr on a long crossing route

i dont mind a rotating cast of characters (depending on the situation) at dime but id rather levine not play outright at safety

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Judon again wow... nearly gets a sack after great recognition on the trickery and gets upfield and forces a dangerous throw to gordon that webby nearly picks off - but also josh gordon had to make an incredible catch there lol just for 1 whole yard

then the next play we get dime in on 2nd down (levine deep and jefferson at the LoS again) and CJ rushes late and absolutely clobbers the ball up in the air for what looks like its gonna be a pick - kizer had a pretty bad game but im gonna praise him for knocking that ball out of the air because that was destined to be intercepted - i like the fact that our defenders all got around him and grinned and patted him on the back too - those rye smiles were fun to see them acknowledging that

rossihunter2

Staff Member
my new favourite personnel grouping strikes again - watson and moore clear out the coverage and woodhead digs his feet in the ground just short of the marker and changes his direction almost 180 to get open and convert well past the required yardage for a conversion - camp also broke the ankles of the slot corner on the other side and if woodhead hadnt been open i think the next read was camp and joe would have had a nice throw to camp for a decent gainer too - in fact looking at it again moore and watson both get half a step on their guy which means that the safety kind of holds himself deep and doesnt know which side of the field to cover - he errs towards camp but is held by the routes of moore and watson on the other side - so camp wouldnt have got in the endzone but had lots of space to make that catch if the ball came his way but he also stopped the safety from coming down towards woodhead which meant woodhead not only got the first down but got some yac too

this grouping man... its not got stars but it really works well - camp and woodhead are particularly hard to deal with because they both require slot-type coverage

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Saying Kizer had a bad game is a criminal understatement. He made the worst throw of the year by far this game throwing into sextuple coverage off his back foot to a WR falling put of bounds.

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Saying Kizer had a bad game is a criminal understatement. He made the worst thriw of the year by far this game throwing into sextuple coverage off his back foot to a WR falling put of bounds.

he was off target and slow to throw all day - that being said he wasnt given many easy throws or a running game to help him - he had a bad day that was only exacerbated by the ravens defence only giving him difficult decisions

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i know it's getting old now but joe looks so much better moving in the pocket now - his footwork is better and he's feeling the pocket much better - avoiding the pressure and stepping up into the pocket - the particular snap i just watched he gets to the bottom of his drop and feels the pressure from his left side from garrett who put stanley on skates (which while not ideal isnt completely embarrassing) and joe steps up really well, if we had an open receiver joe hits him but he does nicely and keeps moving up into the pocket until he feels the pressure from the right side because the pocket is a mess now and he gets the ball away where its uncatchable and out of harm before the hit comes in (he gets absolutely pummelled) - my one criticism is that he might have thrown the ball away a fraction sooner but it was a nice play despite going for 0 yards - he moved well and he sensed well and its something that is uniquely new to see joe do since coming back from the 2015 injury

Saying Kizer had a bad game is a criminal understatement. He made the worst thriw of the year by far this game throwing into sextuple coverage off his back foot to a WR falling put of bounds.
I thought the commentary on that play was hilarious ... announcer drew diagram circling Santa sitting in the stands ... "there's Santa ... just throw it to him". He's wide open.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
haha i wish id seen this game live, these announcers are hilarious...
they just described the wolf pack as siamese triplets
and the throw it to santa thing too - these guys were great (i mean their analysis was pretty boring but the comments were fun)

siamese bloody triplets... lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
so ive watched that int by kizer a few times now - undersold is the instincts humphrey (and carr) has - he's in on the coverage of gordon to take away the route the browns want (i think they are trying to run a pick play) or use some misdirection to get gordon onto carr in coverage but humphrey gets aggressive and stays tight which causes kizer to have to double clutch the ball - and then humphrey reads the qb and sees that he's being flushed right and makes a beeline for the once place he can see that ball going because of the narrow field - he's reading kizer so well - carr does too

the combination of both of our outside corners coming off their receivers and reading the qb better than the wrs is that they turn single coverage on crowell in the zone by jefferson into triple coverage

another unsung thing is canady's physicality - we matched our slot corner 1v1 outside vs an athletic tight end and he stonewalls him and gets just as physical back - in fact if anything canady's positioning and route ends up being the only proper outside corner play on the field on that play lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
maxx sighting - he actually runs a really nice route and the ball is in a nice spot but the db recovers really well to get a hand in - maxx actually does well to stop the int off the pd by knocking the ball away from the defender - was nearly a really nice play on offence there

the next play is representative of everything that's great about this rushing attack - late in the game we get skura, howard and boyle blocking down to the right, maxx comes across the formation and puts in a great block on the nose tackle - this opens up the play for the success that it has... hurst pulls outside stanley and holds garrett out of the play - this leaves jensen, stanley and ricard all free to get on the linebackers and each one of them nails their block in space which creates a huge hole in the middle of the field and buck just has to follow project pat through the hole and into the 2nd level and he has a head of speed which allows him to get past 1 db and get yac on the tackle of the 2nd db - textbook running play in the 4th quarter and it's beatiful - allen goes untouched until he's tackled by the db - my only regret is that it wasnt collins because if it had been collins that might have been a house call

rossihunter2

Staff Member
campanaro showing up big time - 3rd and 16 - similar personnel to earlier - perriman instead of moore on the outside is the only change - camp does what camp does all the time (health willing) he finds the soft spot in that zone between 5 cleveland defenders and converts the first down - he's so good - perriman does the moore job and drives downfield which holds the safety and camp makes them pay - joe flicks the ball in there - he doesnt even have to step into the throw because he's bouncing on his feet the whole time he's in that pocket he just sets the feet and throws and its a beautiful ball

rossihunter2

Staff Member
watching us run out this clock by just running the ball at this browns defence has me kinda pissed that we didnt even try the same vs pittsburgh last week despite getting a solid return most times we ran the ball...

this browns run defence is really good and obviously they were a bit gassed and probably dejected at the score line but the steelers dline wasnt exactly fresh (or as good) as this browns run defence so it does make me go 'what if' - what if we'd run it more and just 1 more of those last 4/5 drives had got some yardage and taken some more time off the clock - i mean we legit scythed through this run defence in the 4th quarter without collins, and i remember on the penultimate ravens drive collins got 6 yards on 2nd down but we only ran it once in that 3 down set which annoys me even more in hindsight

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
so ive finally finished the game and i wanna say it was a really interesting game for the ravens with a lot of good things to build on even this late in the season and very few things i hated about the game

sorry for spamming this one for a couple of pages lol but i guess i didnt really want to spam it all in one essay lol
I very much enjoyed all of this actually. Feel free to do it again