• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Passing Game, The Running Game and another OL Injury

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
When it comes to this game it wasn't really a curbstomping but after spotting a 7 pt lead it was more like a steady back alley beatdown

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Leveon bell might have a contribution to make to this offense, he didn’t have a fair shot at making an impact on this game because they were on his ass every time he got the ball and Lamar missed a pass to him, but he looked sudden and balanced

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Leveon bell might have a contribution to make to this offense, he didn’t have a fair shot at making an impact on this game because they were on his ass every time he got the ball and Lamar missed a pass to him, but he looked sudden and balanced

i think he'll improve too as he gets used to the scheme and the style of offence we run - showed some lateral juice

and even so he still put his mark on the game - we flexed him out wide on 3rd down because he can legit run routes, we kept him in and he helped give Lamar all day in the pocket in pass pro, and he even threw in that downfield block to help Duvernay get us in field goal range

stuff that didnt show up in the stat sheet this week because he had only 1 target on the swing pass that lamar missed

D1City55

Pro Bowler
I feel like we're in a similar situation to 2017 when Alex Collins emerged clearly as our best back despite his fumbling issues. I see a similar problem here and the coaching staff are delusional if they actually think Bell and Murray are better then Williams. I simply for my life cannot understand how they can legit think that. Williams isn't perfect and has his flaws, but he's head and shoulders better then the alternative. He should absolutely be our lead back next game with Murray as our #2.

I honestly put more of the fault of Williams fumble on Duvernay who let go of his block and allowed a free man with a hit on Williams to jar the ball out, if it weren't for that then Williams would easily have scored there.

It's obvious Williams is our best back, deactivating someone like Freeman would have made better sense, I'm still dumbfounded by that decision quiet honestly.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
The past losses have hardened this team. Mental toughness seems to be one of the biggest improvements and didn't expect it to this level.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I feel like we're in a similar situation to 2017 when Alex Collins emerged clearly as our best back despite his fumbling issues. I see a similar problem here and the coaching staff are delusional if they actually think Bell and Murray are better then Williams. I simply for my life cannot understand how they can legit think that. Williams isn't perfect and has his flaws, but he's head and shoulders better then the alternative. He should absolutely be our lead back next game with Murray as our #2.

I honestly put more of the fault of Williams fumble on Duvernay who let go of his block and allowed a free man with a hit on Williams to jar the ball out, if it weren't for that then Williams would easily have scored there.

It's obvious Williams is our best back, deactivating someone like Freeman would have made better sense, I'm still dumbfounded by that decision quiet honestly.
The way Lamar and our receivers are playing overall, Avoiding a turnover is much more valuable than generating extra yards on the ground.

he will get his shot, he’s just not trustworthy right now, and it goes beyond fumbles, Williams has been our best runner by far but he has been extremely mistake prone overall, bad reads and decision, hesitance, being out of place and out of sync with Lamar, it’s been a recurring thing for him.

I think by seasons end he’s gonna be rb3 at worst, harbaughs just gotta sit him and let him
Work on these issues for a little while, he’s making a major leap right now

rossihunter2

Staff Member

this is ridiculous - of course it's not Duv's fault that williams fumbled

and he's looked like our sharpest back athletically but he's not been reliable making reads etc.

he had a really nice play on 4th and 1 and that's basically why everyone's a fan of him but that's about all he's done that's notable

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The way Lamar and our receivers are playing overall, Avoiding a turnover is much more valuable than generating extra yards on the ground.

he will get his shot, he’s just not trustworthy right now, and it goes beyond fumbles, Williams has been our best runner by far but he has been extremely mistake prone overall, bad reads and decision, hesitance, being out of place and out of sync with Lamar, it’s been a recurring thing for him.

I think by seasons end he’s gonna be rb3 at worst, harbaughs just gotta sit him and let him

Harbs said they're still working out who they want for what - id say it's pretty clear now that Murray and Bell both have a role in this year's offence - and it's basically between freeman and williams for that 3rd active spot and I think you might see that be Williams next week

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
After listening to Proche’s post game interview, best believe Bill Belichick is calling EDC tomorrow and offering a 1st rounder for him. Poster child.

“I’m just doing my job.”

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
After listening to Proche’s post game interview, best believe Bill Belichick is calling EDC tomorrow and offering a 1st rounder for him. Poster child.

“I’m just doing my job.”
I liked him when we drafted him last year, he just didn't get enough opportunities last year. K. Williams and T. Martin have done wonders with him as well. The guy has stickem as hands.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
I liked him when we drafted him last year, he just didn't get enough opportunities last year. K. Williams and T. Martin have done wonders with him as well. The guy has stickem as hands.

we actually know how to run crosses now without colliding into each other.

now if we can run successful RB & TE screens... the league will be wrecked.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

yeah, Bell should be able to do that with us if he has any juice left. Unfortunatly I believe JK Dobbins was working on that this offseason.

D1City55

Pro Bowler

Right now a big problem is running laterally, this is a big problem since we're in a pistol formation but you need players who can move east-west much more quickly. I'm willing to live with a few of Williams fumbles considering that he's more capable of big plays and runs than the others. I don't think Murray or Bell is capable of those big-play runs in this offense. I think Williams has had his issues with cut back lanes and protections, but I just don't think we have anyone better at running between the tackles.

I do agree with you that the more reps he gets in practice/ect, that he will eventually get his job back, however this needs to happen sooner rather then later, it would be much better for the run game to get back on track albiet the OL needs to preform better as well.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
this is ridiculous - of course it's not Duv's fault that williams fumbled

and he's looked like our sharpest back athletically but he's not been reliable making reads etc.

he had a really nice play on 4th and 1 and that's basically why everyone's a fan of him but that's about all he's done that's notable
I usually would put more blame on the runner but in this case, Duvernay was able to score the TD simply because he disengaged on his block. It looked like he assumed Ty'son scored and it allowed the defender to have a blindside hit on Ty'son. If Duvernay holds on to his block then it's an easy TD for Ty'son. Don't get me wrong, Ty'son should absolutely hold on to that ball but it's poor discipline by Duvernay to let go of his block.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
The past losses have hardened this team. Mental toughness seems to be one of the biggest improvements and didn't expect it to this level.
Do not get me wrong, I ENJOYED the 2019 regular season, but I wasn't joking about how it builds character when we experience down-to-the-wire games.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

dont need to lol - with how these WRs are running routes we're going bombs away - no short passes allowed lol

on a more serious note i would like to see us deal with blitzes better - seems like far too often we don't have anyone "hot" if a blitz comes

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Right now a big problem is running laterally, this is a big problem since we're in a pistol formation but you need players who can move east-west much more quickly. I'm willing to live with a few of Williams fumbles considering that he's more capable of big plays and runs than the others. I don't think Murray or Bell is capable of those big-play runs in this offense. I think Williams has had his issues with cut back lanes and protections, but I just don't think we have anyone better at running between the tackles.

I do agree with you that the more reps he gets in practice/ect, that he will eventually get his job back, however this needs to happen sooner rather then later, it would be much better for the run game to get back on track albiet the OL needs to preform better as well.

Murray right now is clearly our best between the tackles runner