• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Pro Bowl Thread

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
I'm honestly surprised to see Weddle and Mosley make the list. They are arguably both having slightly down seasons compared to last year. Nevertheless happy for both.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
This is some fuckery. Who the hell made it over Tucker?

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
This is some fuckery. Who the hell made it over Tucker?
Chris Boswell. I personally have Tucker as the most talented kicker in the league, best overall in every category. But at least Boswell has credentials this season with several game-winners, and he's having a great season himself, so perhaps it's not a horrendous gaff.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Chris Boswell. I personally have Tucker as the most talented kicker in the league, best overall in every category. But at least Boswell has credentials this season with several game-winners, and he's having a great season himself, so perhaps it's not a horrendous gaff.
And a tough stadium to kick in

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
What do you think about Koch not making it?

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
What do you think about Koch not making it?
That to me is an egregious miss. He has 6 more punts within the 20 than any punter in the league. The margin between between the 2nd and 16th spots is 6. That means that he's better in that category than the next punter by half-a-league's margin. And he has the resume to boot, pun intended. I would've understood had there at least been somewhat performing similarly well. But Koch to me has been the best player at his position.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

primetime and close games have elevated boswell in national consciousness - that and pittsburgh being a massive market team

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That to me is an egregious miss. He has 6 more punts within the 20 than any punter in the league. The margin between between the 2nd and 16th spots is 6. That means that he's better than the next punter by half-a-league's margin. And he has the resume to boot, pun intended. I would've understood had there at least been somewhat performing similarly well. But Koch to me has been the best player at his position.

and he has so many different tools at his disposal - he has been for the last few seasons literally reinventing punting and its crazy that he's missed out - especially after the last game he demonstrated just how good he was - he downed 3 separate punts inside the 5 vs the browns

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
I'm very thankful for Alejandro Villanueva's past service, I'm happy for him because of that, and he's had a mostly solid season. But considering that he was atop the jersey sales during the kneeling period, is there any chance at all that he received a larger share of fan votes from the same crowd in the Pro Bowl voting as well? In my eyes, he may not be the best OT on his own team. How Maurkice Pouncey made it is beyond me.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I'm very thankful for Alejandro Villanueva's past service, I'm happy for him because of that, and he's had a mostly solid season. But considering that he was atop the jersey sales during the kneeling period, is there any chance at all that he received a larger share of fan votes from the same crowd in the Pro Bowl voting as well? In my eyes, he may not be the best OT on his own team. How Maurkice Pouncey made it is beyond me.
They got in for most offensive holds not called.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
and he has so many different tools at his disposal - he has been for the last few seasons literally reinventing punting and its crazy that he's missed out - especially after the last game he demonstrated just how good he was - he downed 3 separate punts inside the 5 vs the browns
How many punters do you see getting the game ball, right? I know that his average and his net aren't among the best, but those numbers are trickier. For example, if you're punting from your own 45 yard line, 35 yards gets you into the opposing 20, which is liable to hurt your average while completing the intended objective. And you'd have to assume that every punter's goal is to boot it inside the 20. That's why Kern's net average of 45.6 with 22 inside the 20 in far less impressive in my eyes than 41.3 and 37. And as you've said, he might very well have the biggest arsenal among all punters.