• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Pro Bowl Thread

I had a feeling Tuck wasn't going to get in because they've now anointed Boswell as being the 4th killer B. He's earned some loving with all those game winners. Sure, I think Tuck is still the better kicker, but Boswell got a lot of high-profile kicks, so I'm not surprised.

Koch on the other hand is a shock.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
Mosley didn't get in over Telvin Smith. Its the dumb ILB/OLB labels they use in voting. 4-3 OLBs rarely get in because they have to compete with 3-4 pass rushers who rack up bigger sack totals. So technically Suggs got in over Telvin Smith.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
I had a feeling Tuck wasn't going to get in because they've now anointed Boswell as being the 4th killer B. He's earned some loving with all those game winners. Sure, I think Tuck is still the better kicker, but Boswell got a lot of high-profile kicks, so I'm not surprised.

Koch on the other hand is a shock.
Boswell is trash compared to Tucker. A kicker shouldn't be in the probowl if he has missed 4 extra points. He also has misses in the 30s and 40s. Tucker I think has missed a 47 but that was the closest and that may have been the blocked one. Don't get me wrong Boswell is a top 5 kicker in this league. But Tucker may be the best kicker of all-time. If the Ravens and Steelers had the same record then Tucker easily would've gotten in. It is so dumb that teams with better records automatically get 2-3 players into the probowl each year that shouldn't be there.

Koch on the other hand people voting on NFL.com only really care about net punt average. If people actually cared about punters they would know who the best in the business is. There was a whole ESPN special on how many different punts he has.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
Boswell is trash compared to Tucker. A kicker shouldn't be in the probowl if he has missed 4 extra points. He also has misses in the 30s and 40s. Tucker I think has missed a 47 but that was the closest and that may have been the blocked one. Don't get me wrong Boswell is a top 5 kicker in this league. But Tucker may be the best kicker of all-time. If the Ravens and Steelers had the same record then Tucker easily would've gotten in. It is so dumb that teams with better records automatically get 2-3 players into the probowl each year that shouldn't be there.

Koch on the other hand people voting on NFL.com only really care about net punt average. If people actually cared about punters they would know who the best in the business is. There was a whole ESPN special on how many different punts he has.

I was more upset about Villanueva. He only got in (as a starter no less) because he stood for the anthem outside the locker room and became notable through that. He was/is the weak link on the Steelers offense this season. He actually played better last year but casual fans really had no idea who he was so he wasn't even considered for the Pro Bowl.

It is not only about the win total for Boswell's team - it was the number of high-profile game winners he had in this recent stretch of games. It caused voters to overlook the misses and focus on being clutch and nailing kicks when all the chips were on the line.

But we all know - Tuck is the absolute bomb. GOAT? I'm not sure, but I can say, I've never seen a ball go off anyone's foot like his does. I loved Gruden's comment when we were on Monday night. His kick is just "majestic".

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Tucker is eighth this year in FG%. For casual fans that don't watch a small market team like Baltimore, they're going to notice that.

I was more upset about Villanueva. He only got in (as a starter no less) because he stood for the anthem outside the locker room and became notable through that. He was/is the weak link on the Steelers offense this season. He actually played better last year but casual fans really had no idea who he was so he wasn't even considered for the Pro Bowl.
Yeah - I have no idea of where Villanueva brings, but it is not at all surprising that the notoriety he got with the whole anthem thing would play a role, which is absolutely ridiculous. As many say ... it is a popularity contest.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It is not only about the win total for Boswell's team - it was the number of high-profile game winners he had in this recent stretch of games. It caused voters to overlook the misses and focus on being clutch and nailing kicks when all the chips were on the line.

But we all know - Tuck is the absolute bomb. GOAT? I'm not sure, but I can say, I've never seen a ball go off anyone's foot like his does. I loved Gruden's comment when we were on Monday night. His kick is just "majestic".

Yeah it’s the notoriety but I imagine tuck may well still win the all-pro - I’ve noticed football writers are incredibly aware of how good Tucker is... they might not know anything about the ravens but everyone who writes about football knows about tuck

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

If people knew how to compile punter stats then Koch is the obvious choice. By far the leader in punts inside the 20(where touch backs for some reason are included) and of all the leaders he has the lowest touchback percentage

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Tucker is eighth this year in FG%. For casual fans that don't watch a small market team like Baltimore, they're going to notice that.
So many kickers get lucky making just because their kick bounces off a goal post or crossbar. I'd like to know what percentage of Tuckers kicks go right down the middle. I'd guess 95%.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
So many kickers get lucky making just because their kick bounces off a goal post or crossbar. I'd like to know what percentage of Tuckers kicks go right down the middle. I'd guess 95%.
And honestly, his misses are from like 62, 54, and 48, so not exactly gimmes by any stretch, so field goal percentage is a bit misleading.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
And honestly, his misses are from like 62, 54, and 48, so not exactly gimmes by any stretch, so field goal percentage is a bit misleading.
You are correct, his only actual misses are like 62 and 58, and his miss from the mid 40s was blocked.