• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Defence, The Bad, The Ugly - Chargers Edition

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
the analytics were fine - aggressive but fine - the playcall really damaged them both times - they went after marlon in pretty weak situations where they were trying to out-physical one of the most physical and strong press-man corners in the league

im not sure even i would have gone for it on my own 19 but at that point they were down 3 scores anyway

My buddy told me he's been doing that all year. Hopefully he learned something. Sometimes you gotta go with gut instincts and throw the sheet away and see this is the Baltimore Ravens here.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
When it comes to Queen he's more effective in a blitz and chase and with a veteran mike (Bynes) he's gonna settle and play his game. I'd be stunned if he's inactive. Short sample but this was his best performance.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
if they're deactivating queen or harrison it's 100% the guy who's not the starting LB...

Queen's snap counts were only down because he missed basically 2 quarters of time due to injury

he's not getting benched after his best game of the season

looks like bynes to play mike and queen to play will which already seems to have helped him

ken's work can be really interesting but he sometimes loses sight of the larger picture when he becomes fixated on specific things and can lose some of the context
I don't think he will either. But I do think that if you're not going to activate 5 ILBs, he's basically 4th on that list, because two of them are core ST players, and the other, Bynes, has clearly taken over as Mike.

I'm also not suggesting it'll happen 5 days from now, but it's pretty clear that position is in a state of transition, and I doubt they're going to activate 5 ILBs just so one of them can play a handful of snaps and not contribute on ST.

Very well may that this week is a critical week for Queen. If I were going to make some of the transitions they're looking (or already have) to make, the bye week, which is next week, is a pretty good time to do it.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
My buddy told me he's been doing that all year. Hopefully he learned something. Sometimes you gotta go with gut instincts and throw the sheet away and see this is the Baltimore Ravens here.

he has been doing that all year and it's been successful

he did go with gut instincts - he explained in his post-game presser that he felt like they needed those plays and he trusted his offence so they went for it

if he learned not to go for it on 4th down then he learned the wrong thing

it was about the only good analysis we had on the broadcast all day from archuleta when he had no real issues with the call to go for it (even at the 19 albeit was squeamish about it) but had tons of issues with the playcall that came in

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That first play was textbook, that’s a play killing drop on a play designed to confuse and beat him with 2 options and he eliminated both of them. That is the kinda play we need from him.

and i know it's not in vogue to say this stuff - but despite being pilloried consistently for poor play this season by fans and pundits alike - the one area where he has actually looked better and more comfortable than last year has been in coverage

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don't think he will either. But I do think that if you're not going to activate 5 ILBs, he's basically 4th on that list, because two of them are core ST players, and the other, Bynes, has clearly taken over as Mike.

I'm also not suggesting it'll happen 5 days from now, but it's pretty clear that position is in a state of transition, and I doubt they're going to activate 5 ILBs just so one of them can play a handful of snaps and not contribute on ST.

Very well may that this week is a critical week for Queen. If I were going to make some of the transitions they're looking (or already have) to make, the bye week, which is next week, is a pretty good time to do it.

right but queen isnt going to play a handful of snaps and not contribute on ST - he's the starting WLB... that's still a significant position on the defence

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
right but queen isnt going to play a handful of snaps and not contribute on ST - he's the starting WLB... that's still a significant position on the defence
Yes... for now. If he doesn't perform well at that position, I doubt he will remain as the starter there.
Hence why I said being inactive on Sunday isn't likely, but weeks from now would be a possibility. I don't think they're super concerned about whether they have to play a rotation at WLB, considering a) they're pretty much already doing that and b) they've got a couple other guys who are already situationally in those roles.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
and i know it's not in vogue to say this stuff - but despite being pilloried consistently for poor play this season by fans and pundits alike - the one area where he has actually looked better and more comfortable than last year has been in coverage
Agreed, though I think that may be a product of the other inside backers on this team being just that much worse in pass coverage (like Harrison), and the fact that they seemingly refused to give Board more snaps on defense until recently.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
he has been doing that all year and it's been successful

he did go with gut instincts - he explained in his post-game presser that he felt like they needed those plays and he trusted his offence so they went for it

if he learned not to go for it on 4th down then he learned the wrong thing

it was about the only good analysis we had on the broadcast all day from archuleta when he had no real issues with the call to go for it (even at the 19 albeit was squeamish about it) but had tons of issues with the playcall that came in

Maybe he trusts his offense and not his defense but to me it reeked of desperation.

And who did they give us? The F team. I can't stand Greg Gumbel and these were two 1 loss teams

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Agreed on Bateman. Zero percent chances he plays that many snaps in his first game if Watkins is available. Just interesting though that he played more than Duvernay, even if Duvernay isn't a typical X receiver.

I agree Campbell was probably playing more in passing downs, but I guess that's kind of my point... I don't know that I want him playing that high level of snaps, especially as a pass rusher. Just felt like our Dline rotation was quite a bit off in this game for some reason. I guess once they go Dime late they're likely in 2 Dlineman packages anyway.
We need Campbell fresh in Nov / Dec / Jan. Having Wolfe back with help a lot with the rotation.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
He has been closer in coverage I’d say, he was in absolute no mans land often last year, this year you can tell he’s got the idea down, but the positioning isn’t there yet, he’s getting a grasp of what offenses are trying to do to beat him when he’s in zone(like where they’re breaking once they get behind him), he’s just having a hard time being in the right position to actually defend the play, one can reasonably hope that it just comes with more time and snaps, it’s a foot-eye coordination and spatial awareness thing, the kinds of things that just take time to develop, the same way muscle memory just makes a world of difference and that only comes with time and reps.