• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Defence, The Bad, The Ugly - Chargers Edition

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Did notice that Queen seemed to DART to the ball.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Wish I saw this before the game. I would’ve bet the house.

It's pretty cool! It's also interesting that it's McPhee, obviously a veteran, but also a former Raven who was around during Ray's career. I wonder if he can seen the team can go the distance, but needs that leadership and can somewhat emulate what he grew up seeing as young player from Ray.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Very cool! You wonder how much of that has an impact come game time

if im honest - not a ton...

because they do those speeches and then they all sit on the sideline and wait for the game to start...

it's cool and it probably helps them demarcate the moment that the pre-game becomes "the game" but i doubt it changes performance at all

the "talky" stuff that happens on the sideline or on the field probably far more impactful

if im honest - not a ton...

because they do those speeches and then they all sit on the sideline and wait for the game to start...

it's cool and it probably helps them demarcate the moment that the pre-game becomes "the game" but i doubt it changes performance at all

the "talky" stuff that happens on the sideline or on the field probably far more impactful

Not sure I agree, getting the younger guys focussed on the game and away from the distractions floating in the heads pre game I think really helps them prepare for the game. Having that vet presence is a calming influence that lets them focus on what they've trained for all week.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Not sure I agree, getting the younger guys focussed on the game and away from the distractions floating in the heads pre game I think really helps them prepare for the game. Having that vet presence is a calming influence that lets them focus on what they've trained for all week.
Absolutely. I can recall the difference between my high school and Rec coaches, my high school coaches were just dickheads, not motivational at all and very little football knowledge except for one(who ended up coaching at WVU), they did nothing for me or any of my teammates with pre game talk. But man, my Rec league coach, that dude made me the football lunatic that I am today, he had a great mind for football and was a natural leader of men, he was cool as shit and he taught me very well and he made me wanna knock mfs into the bleachers with his pregame and sideline talk, he gave the whole team a serious swagger with it, it was very noticeable.

that stuff absolutely makes a difference to young and impressionable players. To this day I consider myself very lucky to have had a coach like that to start out with.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Absolutely. I can recall the difference between my high school and Rec coaches, my high school coaches were just dickheads, not motivational at all and very little football knowledge except for one(who ended up coaching at WVU), they did nothing for me or any of my teammates with pre game talk. But man, my Rec league coach, that dude made me the football lunatic that I am today, he had a great mind for football and was a natural leader of men, he was cool as shit and he taught me very well and he made me wanna knock mfs into the bleachers with his pregame and sideline talk, he gave the whole team a serious swagger with it, it was very noticeable.

that stuff absolutely makes a difference to young and impressionable players. To this day I consider myself very lucky to have had a coach like that to start out with.

I think realistically it does have a positive effect. My thoughts are this, there are generally 2 types of people. First are your Joe Flaccos who could listen to Ray Lewis and not give a single fuck. To these people, it is net neutral. The other group, the ones who do respond to it and get focused and amped up are better off for it. Therfore you get a net gain even if only small.

Now it's possible it could make some teammates worse off, but if you have a group of guys that like each other and it's not Earl Thomas doing it, I don't see that happening

Mate I had to tone down my pre game rev up speeches to my son's under 6 soccer team after they came out a little too fired up. Apparently telling 5 years olds they are about to go to war is frowned upon these days, soft.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Mate I had to tone down my pre game rev up speeches to my son's under 6 soccer team after they came out a little too fired up. Apparently telling 5 years olds they are about to go to war is frowned upon these days, soft.
I feel like you gotta get them having fun at that age but once they’re in sports for about 3 years or so and they’re comfortable playing the game, then you can start talking that war stuff lol. My coach was just on some brotherhood, fortitude, imposing your will on the enemy with your brothers type shit, like he knew what to say to make us play with intensity and focus and with great camaraderie on the field for 13-14-15 year olds.

great coaches are crucial for kids man, I feel this way because of this coach and the impression he left on me.

I feel like you gotta get them having fun at that age but once they’re in sports for about 3 years or so and they’re comfortable playing the game, then you can start talking that war stuff lol. My coach was just on some brotherhood, fortitude, imposing your will on the enemy with your brothers type shit, like he knew what to say to make us play with intensity and focus and with great camaraderie on the field for 13-14-15 year olds.

great coaches are crucial for kids man, I feel this way because of this coach and the impression he left on me.

Yeah there are less and less male teachers here, so outside of your dad coaches are the only other real male role models they have access to. Pretty much any male that takes an interest in kids these days runs the risk of being called a pedo, really sucks man.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
It's pretty cool! It's also interesting that it's McPhee, obviously a veteran, but also a former Raven who was around during Ray's career. I wonder if he can seen the team can go the distance, but needs that leadership and can somewhat emulate what he grew up seeing as young player from Ray.

Have liked him since his rookie year. Pretty sure he was a fan favorite among most. Just nice having some of that old guard around to instill the "culture" in the newer guys. It's like they're getting gang back together with him and Bynes... hell even added a Ryan.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Have liked him since his rookie year. Pretty sure he was a fan favorite among most. Just nice having some of that old guard around to instill the "culture" in the newer guys. It's like they're getting gang back together with him and Bynes... hell even added a Ryan.

Trueeee. Also not sure why we moved away from Bynes last year anyway. He played really well for us 2 years ago and and right now. The dude is 16-0 in his last 16 regular season games as a Raven.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Trueeee. Also not sure why we moved away from Bynes last year anyway. He played really well for us 2 years ago and and right now. The dude is 16-0 in his last 16 regular season games as a Raven.
didn't he have an interception back in 2019 in his first game for us.

Argentina Raven

Practice Squad
[QUOTE = "airconteka, post: 300540, member: 88"] Amigo, tuve que bajar el tono de mis discursos previos al juego para el equipo de fútbol de menores de 6 años de mi hijo después de que salieron un poco entusiasmados. Al parecer, decirles a los niños de 5 años que están a punto de ir a la guerra está mal visto en estos días, suave. [/ QUOTE]

:D:D:D

As a children's basketball coach, it is wrong to give them "that" motivation, to have fun, but knowing the game, with more individual technique, when they do things well and / or better than others is enough motivation for them.
"If you want a champion in your house, train and play yourself, let your child have fun"
at least that's what is promoted here in Argentina in basketball
Como entrenador de baloncesto infantil está mal darles "esa" motivación, para que se diviertan, pero conocer el juego, con una técnica más individualizada, cuando hacen las cosas bien y / o mejor que los demás es suficiente motivación para ellos.
"Si quieres un campeón en tu casa, entrena y juega tú mismo, deja que tu hijo se divierta"
al menos eso es lo que se promueve acá en Argentina en baloncesto

[QUOTE = "airconteka, post: 300540, member: 88"] Amigo, tuve que bajar el tono de mis discursos previos al juego para el equipo de fútbol de menores de 6 años de mi hijo después de que salieron un poco entusiasmados. Al parecer, decirles a los niños de 5 años que están a punto de ir a la guerra está mal visto en estos días, suave. [/ QUOTE]

:D:D:D

As a children's basketball coach, it is wrong to give them "that" motivation, to have fun, but knowing the game, with more individual technique, when they do things well and / or better than others is enough motivation for them.
"If you want a champion in your house, train and play yourself, let your child have fun"
at least that's what is promoted here in Argentina in basketball
Como entrenador de baloncesto infantil está mal darles "esa" motivación, para que se diviertan, pero conocer el juego, con una técnica más individualizada, cuando hacen las cosas bien y / o mejor que los demás es suficiente motivación para ellos.
"Si quieres un campeón en tu casa, entrena y juega tú mismo, deja que tu hijo se divierta"
al menos eso es lo que se promueve acá en Argentina en baloncesto

Remind me the score of Australia vs Argentina basketball in the Olympics or the recent rugby series :lol:

Argentina Raven

Practice Squad
It is enough for me to remember that we were the first team to beat the NBA, when nobody could, Argentina could.
By the way, from 1992 to the present only 2 teams won the Olympic gold medal, one of them was the USA, tell me the other
Me basta con recordar que fuimos el primer equipo en ganarle a la NBA, cuando nadie pudo, Argentina pudo.
Por cierto, desde 1992 hasta la actualidad solo 2 equipos ganaron la medalla de oro olímpica, uno de ellos fue USA, dime el otro

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i think it’s different for amateur and elite sport though lol

maybe it has some impact in that moment for those elite guys but the reason I’m skeptical is because they’re getting fired up and then they go sit on the sidelines for like 5-10 minutes and wait for their opportunity to get on the field

It makes more sense in rugby or football where the talk happens and then you’re straight into the fight