• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: vs Bye Week

D1City55

Pro Bowler
  • Put the best 5 on the field. I'm not passing on a guy I think can be a long term option at T just because I have a guy like James. Further, James would only have 1 year left on his deal. There's nothing preventing me from taking a T high if there's a guy I like.
    It felt like we were talking exclusively LT here. I would absolutely be fine with a RT. Definitely don't want someone who we're trying to season into playing LT thats all, I'm not out on Stanley yet simply because I highly doubt he retires and we don't have any out on him for the next few years. James is not a long term option but LG spot is just screaming for an immediate upgrade. At least you have Mekari who has shown you something, the LG spot has been a massive letdown honestly with no one really moving taking over there.

Simba

Staff Member

• It felt like we were talking exclusively LT here. I would absolutely be fine with a RT. Definitely don't want someone who we're trying to season into playing LT thats all, I'm not out on Stanley yet simply because I highly doubt he retires and we don't have any out on him for the next few years. James is not a long term option but LG spot is just screaming for an immediate upgrade. At least you have Mekari who has shown you something, the LG spot has been a massive letdown honestly with no one really moving taking over there.

I mean, I don't think we're out here pigeonholing anything. If there's a stud LT on the board, they'll take him and try him on the right side or inside at G. If Stanley is back, great. If not, you have an option there.

Basically, don't overthink it. If there's a guy you can pick that solidifies any spot on the OL, you do it. It's not solidified at all right now sans Zeitler for next year.

I also hope Stanley returns but missing almost 2 years is a tough ask. If he can get healthy, I have no concerns. But the health has to remain a concern so you can't just simply count on him right now.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I mean, I don't think we're out here pigeonholing anything. If there's a stud LT on the board, they'll take him and try him on the right side or inside at G. If Stanley is back, great. If not, you have an option there.

Basically, don't overthink it. If there's a guy you can pick that solidifies any spot on the OL, you do it. It's not solidified at all right now sans Zeitler for next year.

I also hope Stanley returns but missing almost 2 years is a tough ask. If he can get healthy, I have no concerns. But the health has to remain a concern so you can't just simply count on him right now.
One thing I will say about missing 2 years is guys have come back before. Look no further than our own Tavon Young. It is certainly not easy to be that removed from football but I do believe in Ronnie Stanley and if anyone can do it he can. It’s still such a shame what happened to him. It was such a fluke injury and of course it had to be against our divisional rival Pittsburgh.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Improve tackling, trade for a couple of important pieces, get healthy, get Boyle and Wolfe back. Focus and go on a 13-14 game winning streak.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
One thing I will say about missing 2 years is guys have come back before. Look no further than our own Tavon Young. It is certainly not easy to be that removed from football but I do believe in Ronnie Stanley and if anyone can do it he can. It’s still such a shame what happened to him. It was such a fluke injury and of course it had to be against our divisional rival Pittsburgh.
I'll never agree it was a fluke injury. The bad Watt deliberately targeted his ankle after the whistle blew. Half of the money he earned was earned because he negated Stanley with a dirty play. Of course, not knowing if this is indeed true, I want to believe it is. So, please don't try and correct my version of events.

I'll never agree it was a fluke injury. The bad Watt deliberately targeted his ankle after the whistle blew. Half of the money he earned was earned because he negated Stanley with a dirty play. Of course, not knowing if this is indeed true, I want to believe it is. So, please don't try and correct my version of events.
You believed the legend of Lamar Jackson into existence, so I absolutely take your version of events as the stone cold truth.

Simba

Staff Member

Yeah it’s not that I doubt Stanley or anything. I’m just not pinning all of my hopes on him at this point. I think you plan that he comes back the same guy he’s always been, but you can’t be 100% sure so you have to plan for alternatives too.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah it’s not that I doubt Stanley or anything. I’m just not pinning all of my hopes on him at this point. I think you plan that he comes back the same guy he’s always been, but you can’t be 100% sure so you have to plan for alternatives too.
If Stanley comes back I will be shocked. I truly believe he will retire.

ChainedBird

Practice Squad
If Stanley comes back I will be shocked. I truly believe he will retire.

It does feel a bit dicey, due to the multiple surgeries and length of time off the field. My gut is that by the end of next season it feels like a 50/50 that we get the old Ronnie back, 25% that he is a lesser version of his previous self and a 25% chance that he is being benched/chooses to retire.

For now though it's a mystery and I don't think we'll know for sure until the end of next season (or near to it).

What's the problem here exactly? From the video, it looks like they're using the fact that tackles respect Oweh to get free rushers. Every clip was a pressure/sack/int. I can't imagine he's getting zero pass rush reps, so if it works then I don't really get the problem. If the defence makes plays, it doesn't matter whether Oweh makes them himself or does his job within the system, does it?

redrum52

Hall of Famer
What's the problem here exactly? From the video, it looks like they're using the fact that tackles respect Oweh to get free rushers. Every clip was a pressure/sack/int. I can't imagine he's getting zero pass rush reps, so if it works then I don't really get the problem. If the defence makes plays, it doesn't matter whether Oweh makes them himself or does his job within the system, does it?

Was going to make a long winded response and figured I'd settle with... sometimes you just have to be better than the man in front of you. Too often it feels like we're trying too hard to create pressure instead of just letting the best guys do what they're best at.

D1City55

Pro Bowler

Why are we widely assuming that Stanley might retire? This probably came from RSR but I haven't seen any major outlet pick up on this story. It might be speculation honestly but yes, he's had two season-ending injuries, yes, his season-ending injury this year is a massive let down but it seems like this was a long term decision, unless I hear more noise about then that I actually will remain confident he comes back next year.

I want to solidify the OL for sure, but I want a premium player at that spot. That's all I'm saying, I would go for premium LG over LT and I would probably go Edge there too because we are bleeding there, if someone really good who falls to our spot can play at a high level on the OL over a RT, and you do have to overthink it, the draft will be more important to hit on since Lamar won't be cheap anymore.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Yea- has anyone actually said that Stannley has nerve damage? I know many have speculated and thought this but is it a fan rumor that has taken over? Obviously the time he missed isnt ideal but I feel exaggerations are taking over many peoples thoughts

Reactions: cdp

Simba

Staff Member
Why are we widely assuming that Stanley might retire? This probably came from RSR but I haven't seen any major outlet pick up on this story. It might be speculation honestly but yes, he's had two season-ending injuries, yes, his season-ending injury this year is a massive let down but it seems like this was a long term decision, unless I hear more noise about then that I actually will remain confident he comes back next year.

I want to solidify the OL for sure, but I want a premium player at that spot. That's all I'm saying, I would go for premium LG over LT and I would probably go Edge there too because we are bleeding there, if someone really good who falls to our spot can play at a high level on the OL over a RT, and you do have to overthink it, the draft will be more important to hit on since Lamar won't be cheap anymore.

I don’t expect retirement for what it’s worth. But it’s a major injury that has now knocked him out for almost 2 years. I believe in him but I’m also not gonna hedge my bets on him right now.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yea- has anyone actually said that Stannley has nerve damage? I know many have speculated and thought this but is it a fan rumor that has taken over? Obviously the time he missed isnt ideal but I feel exaggerations are taking over many peoples thoughts

ive never seen any actual indication that this is the case from any source or beat writer or anything like that - and indications are that he's getting the surgery in order to be able to come back which would suggest that at least he and the team both are hopeful...

either way if im the ravens im putting in pretty substantial contingency plans for if he doesnt or cant return or isnt the same when he does

Corvus Purpura

Practice Squad
ive never seen any actual indication that this is the case from any source or beat writer or anything like that - and indications are that he's getting the surgery in order to be able to come back which would suggest that at least he and the team both are hopeful...

All of this Stanley retiring nonsense comes from a few people who "have a feeling" that he won't come back. They post those feelings, and others take that as evidence that he's gone forever. It's idiotic. There's no actual evidence to support this stuff. We're all in a wait and see mode and need to stop this hopeless talk.

Unless, Harbaugh comes out and says he's "day to day." Then we'll know things are desperate.

Simba

Staff Member

Speculation and “reports” have come from Cole Jackson over at RSR. Not the most reliable source but has some nuggets of information at times. For what it’s worth, I’d have a hard time believing that he’s been able to find out when all sides have been so radio silent on Stanley. Even the national media had nothing other than he’d be trying to rehab earlier this season.