• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: vs Bye Week

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think that we have done well to be 5-2 at this point, but still have an onslaught of games especially the brutal gauntlet CLE > @PIT > @CLE > GB > @CIN that could really be bad for us or great depending on the outcome. That stretch of games may very well decide the season for us, honestly, since it's 4 divisional games 3 of which are all away and one pretty good team. I'm less worried about our next 3 games against MIN, MIA, CHI because we can't afford to really get too relaxed with our schedule. We just need to get healthy and make it past these 3 games to prepare for that 5-game gauntlet we have to win for the division.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Is there some sort of injury mechanism built into the cap where we can recoup some of the money given to Stanley since he hasn't played in basically two seasons?
Really depends. Most contracts have injury guarantees, meaning the player gets his money fully if he's injured.
From what I can tell, his 2022 salary is fully guaranteed, which is $9.5M. So seems likely he gets that regardless of whether he plays or not.

The only thing that would change this is IF he were to retire. In those cases, there's some "wiggle room" for franchises to try to claw back prorated portions of signing bonuses. My guess is the Ravens wouldn't do that, however. We tend to only see that when an otherwise healthy player opts to retire (ala Calvin Johnson).

IF Stanley is unable to ever play again, I would imagine it'll be 2023 before that decision is made to retire. In which case, Stanley's compensation and cap hit ($9.5M he's owed, with a $18.5M cap hit) for 2022 are really unchanged by whether he plays or doesn't play.

Assuming he would then retire before 2023 starts, the Ravens would be off the hook for the remaining $29.5M in salary they owe him for 2023-2025, but would still have a dead money cap hit in 2023 of ~$22.6M. The only thing I don't know is whether the Ravens could spread that out over two years, much like a post-June 1 cut.

Bottom line... his 2022 cap hit and compensation basically won't be impacted unless he opts to retire, which I doubt he will. And 2023 is a total wildcard until we see what happens in 2022.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Im curious how everyone is feeling about the rest of the season. I feel a lot of anxiety from fans but at this point Im pretty happy where we stand all things considered.

I can’t help but feel we’re playing with house money. Just to many injuries for this team to really be successful …. Yet here we sit at 5-2. Is it sustainable? Probably not, but I’m not stressing because it already feels like we’re over achieving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can't complain about the record. The next three games are: Vikings, @Dolphins, and @Bears. If we aren't at least 7-3 by the end of the Bears game, we're in some trouble. If you look at the remaining schedule after these three games, you'll see where I'm coming from. Talk about running the gauntlet.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Can't complain about the record. The next three games are: Vikings, @Dolphins, and @Bears. If we aren't at least 7-3 by the end of the Bears game, we're in some trouble. If you look at the remaining schedule after these three games, you'll see where I'm coming from. Talk about running the gauntlet.
Yeas we should be 2-1 here . 1-2 would be terrible.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
we save 6m if we cut villanueva before the 5th day of the 2022 league year...
not exactly "eating" the contract to get rid of him

Zeitler is here next year no questions at this point. I'd be shocked if AV is back. Savings are too great and that was really just a 1 year deal dressed up as a 2 year deal anyways.

See, now what Ross says is how I initially read AV's contract on sportrac, so maybe I was just missing the date aspect when I reread it, but the idea remains the same. If we've got money tied up in FA signings and potential sunk salaries, the only way to fortify the line is thru picks. And while I don't think a T is the absolute way to go, there is other value in the first round at OL that could be attractive. Plus if everyone does come back healthy, that's a nice position to be in given the s-storm this year is with injuries.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
See, now what Ross says is how I initially read AV's contract on sportrac, so maybe I was just missing the date aspect when I reread it, but the idea remains the same. If we've got money tied up in FA signings and potential sunk salaries, the only way to fortify the line is thru picks. And while I don't think a T is the absolute way to go, there is other value in the first round at OL that could be attractive. Plus if everyone does come back healthy, that's a nice position to be in given the s-storm this year is with injuries.

dont get me wrong, im very much into a 1st round OL - but villanueva and zeitler's contracts are not prohibitive of us finding some help elsewhere

Charm City

Pro Bowler
Speaking of Zeitler , who hasn't been talked alot about here, he has been a complete dud.
How is he a dud? He has been an average to above average player on our line and he and bozeman are the only constants on our line that we have been able to rely on.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
How is he a dud? He has been an average to above average player on our line and he and bozeman are the only constants on our line that we have been able to rely on.
He's not very good. Mekari has been our best lineman by far. Bozeman is a better guard than center.

Simba

Staff Member
Speaking of Zeitler , who hasn't been talked alot about here, he has been a complete dud.

What have you been watching? Sure, he's not Yanda. But he's been playing some good, solid football. Not great, but miles better than the rotation we had there last year.

Simba

Staff Member

You don't have to go one direction or the other. If there's someone we want to pay in FA, AV's dead money won't hold us back. At the same time, I think it's probably better to draft anyways.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
What have you been watching? Sure, he's not Yanda. But he's been playing some good, solid football. Not great, but miles better than the rotation we had there last year.
Where are the running holes? I dont expect him to be Yanda. But hes a disaapointment. He is ranked 70 on PFF for 2021. That is barely a starter level. 69 is a backup.

Simba

Staff Member
Where are the running holes? I dont expect him to be Yanda. But hes a disaapointment.

Don't blame Zeitler for that. Not that I'm a believer in everything grading, but saw a tweet earlier charting win percentages and Zeitler was at the top with the likes of Zach Martin. If I can find it again, I'll post it. But he has not been the problem.

ChainedBird

Practice Squad
Where are the running holes? I dont expect him to be Yanda. But hes a disaapointment. He is ranked 70 on PFF for 2021. That is barely a starter level. 69 is a backup.

I dunno, I actually quite like our IOL at the moment. There are some interesting draft prospects that could add to it, but as long as we can re-sign Bozeman, then I'd be happy going into next season with the same set of players.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
Weve seen countless guys slide inside and play G to start their careers. If they draft an OL high, he’s going to play whether that’s inside or outside. Just need to get over the assumption that Stanley and James both come back fine and at a high level. James has largely been a solid and unspectacular option regardless. He’s not stopping anyone from playing if they draft someone early.
I would much rather draft someone who is more suited to play the interior OL position than rely on a guy to shift inside, it's not good to try to move guys around early in their career unless it's a position they're familiar with. If we want a swing tackle we can grab one on day 2, but day 1 is where premiere interior OL is found and I'd rather use a pick there.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
Thank God Derek Wolff is coming back soon, Brandon Williams got washed on Samaji Perrine TD run, never seen him get manhandled so badly. He's certainly been a great player during his time here and lived up to his contract, but there's no way in hell we'll see him back next year unless he's cheap.

Simba

Staff Member
I would much rather draft someone who is more suited to play the interior OL position than rely on a guy to shift inside, it's not good to try to move guys around early in their career unless it's a position they're familiar with. If we want a swing tackle we can grab one on day 2, but day 1 is where premiere interior OL is found and I'd rather use a pick there.

Put the best 5 on the field. I'm not passing on a guy I think can be a long term option at T just because I have a guy like James. Further, James would only have 1 year left on his deal. There's nothing preventing me from taking a T high if there's a guy I like.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Put the best 5 on the field. I'm not passing on a guy I think can be a long term option at T just because I have a guy like James. Further, James would only have 1 year left on his deal. There's nothing preventing me from taking a T high if there's a guy I like.
Dead on, matter of fact, Abraham Lucas is a pure RT and likely nothing else, and he’s one of my slam dunk favorite prospects regardless of need, he looks excellent in all facets on film. Blows teven Jenkins away imo