• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: Bye Bye Marty, Pees and Harbaugh?

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Edit: Harbaugh said they were playing 2-deep zone. I don’t know really want to say about that coverage because it was really funky to the point where I wish they had just call the TO before the play happened.
That makes more sense now. Didn't even think of that for some reason since the Ravens ran a lot of Cover 2 last year. What makes it more difficult to swallow and see that coverage is that route should have been completely covered.

That was my bad on that one. I was wrong. My mind was fried after that catch. I was just in such disbelief and it killed me.

That makes more sense now. Didn't even think of that for some reason since the Ravens ran a lot of Cover 2 last year. What makes it more difficult to swallow and see that coverage is that route should have been completely covered.
What made me think that is simply the soft spot that was exposed. Thing is where was the safety? You would have to think in that situation there would be a safety there yet there wasn’t. I wish the replay showed a better angle because I think I saw Tony Jefferson double cover someone underneath.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Harbs, MM and Pees have to go.
After the 2016 season they addressed the defense to stop this last minute meltdowns. Signed Jefferson, Williams and Carr drafted 4 guys in rounds 1-3. Yet we've got the same results no improvements at all. For the first time in franchise history our defense allowed more than 4 ypc. Our defense couldn't stop them we it mattered the most. Bowser barely even played a snap and T.Williams was inactive. I know Harbs loves his S.T but we have too many guys active for sole S.t purposes. Why didn't they play TWill or Bowser, I highly doubt they would play as bad as our current rushers.
On offense we never stick to the plays that have been working the entire game.
This teams needs a frest start and new input. Harbs will hire the same type of guys again. Harbaugh didn't prepare the team well. 28 yards passing lol. He also said he's proud of his team because they always fight through adversity and all those comebacks. Well how about putting your team in position to play the entire game? The schedule was super easy. Hundley, Brissett, Savage, Moore, Manuel and Keenum instead of Rodgers, Luck, Watson, Tannehill, Bradford, Carr.
I'm convinced we would've lost if Hue pulled Kizer. Cleveland always play us tough, but this years version was even worse. The titans and Bears game should've never been lost. Our defense absolutely got destroyed in both games against the steelers. I won't give them a pass for the London game, wrong preparation again. Why on earth do you arrive on Friday, when every other team arrives on monday or tuesday?
Time to move on.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
What made me think that is simply the soft spot that was exposed. Thing is where was the safety? You would have to think in that situation there would be a safety there yet there wasn’t. I wish the replay showed a better angle because I think I saw Tony Jefferson double cover someone underneath.
Like I said, that look confused me a little bit because they showed Weddle on the blitz, but Canady took the correct drop; he just dropped too deep and should have come up on Boyd as Boyd was the seam threat. Weddle shouldn't even be in the picture. Bigger issue to me looks like Mosley was too shallow.

Tru11

Practice Squad

our pro bowl safety was jogging to get deep.
he was pretty much in no mans land covering no one.

welp this is what you get when you have 2 slow safeties who dont have the range to cover any ground and are pretty suspect in coverage at that.

jefferson was over the top on Green helping humprey.

Clark and mosley where the guys giving underneath help as they both where dropping to the sticks from the LOS.

Clark actually had the TE and RB in his area.

The screw ups on this play where canady and weddle.
1 was paying to much attention to the outside making it harder to react in time to the seem.
the other was in no man lands covering nobody doing god knows what.....

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
I’m honestly mad about how much they talked up this game. They really pumped the fans and media up for this and we’re down at one point 17-3. They just didn’t look like a team fighting for a playoff spot.
That first half was pretty bad, and they put their self in a hole that cost them the game in the end.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Which one?
The final touchdown to Boyd. At first I thought man coverage with bracket coverage between Canady and Mosley on Boyd because the corners forced outside releases, but Harbs said it was Cover 2, which I didn't even think of.

That means it was a Tampa 2 look and if I had to pick a culprit, Canady drifted too far to the outside and was too strict to his zone and Mosley didn't drop deep enough, but I'm not watching that play again to confirm. It just makes me upset to watch and gets me all clouded

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Just to keep it real and say if The Ravens decided to fired John Harbaugh he would be the clear best coach available. This year potential head coach candidates aren't really that hot. The idea is to do better than John Harbaugh if he was fired but honestly to keep it real with all the injuries and what not that occurred with this team they may not have went to the playoffs but they definitely did more than expected.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Just to keep it real and say if The Ravens decided to fired John Harbaugh he would be the clear best coach available. This year potential head coach candidates aren't really that hot. The idea is to do better than John Harbaugh if he was fired but honestly to keep it real with all the injuries and what not that occurred with this team they may not have went to the playoffs but they definitely did more than expected.
How do you figure they exceeded expectations...?

ALI624

Pro Bowler
This will more than likely be my final post. I just can't continue to root for a team that is the very definition of insanity. Harbs will continue to be the head coach and not hire the coordinators that will put this team into a position to succeed. Ozzie will continue to draft players that are solid at best and beyond useless at worst. This team has no passion and has caused me to lose my passion for this team and football in general. And that whole catchphrase of "finish," well they are finished and I am finished with them. I know some of you will call me a fair weather fan and maybe I am, but this is my choice. I don't know what team I will root for or if I will pick another team, but it definitely won't be the Steelers, Pats, Bengals or Browns. I thank you guys for the insightful discussions and for making these few seasons I've been on these message boards fun most of the time.

I thought about starting my own thread about this, but I think it's an offshooot of this discussion. We probably shouldn't just place the blame on the coordinators. The positions coaches don't seem to be very good at their jobs either.

The Ravens arguably have not developed a good wide receiver since at least the start of the century. Let that sink in for a moment and then reflect on this: as a franchise, they are doing better at developing quarterbacks than wide receivers (Superbowl MVP Flacco and playoff starter Tyrod Taylor vs Torrey Smith and ??? [footage not found].)

Now maybe this is just my own bias, but it never sat well with me that the Ravens let go of Wade Harman for the one year coach that Gary Kubiak brought in (I think his name was Greg Pariani or something). Harman coached Shannon Sharpe, Todd Heap, Dennis Pitta and Ed Dickson from 1999-2013 and he was the only Raven to coach in both of their Superbowl wins.
In fairness, I will mention that Pitta had a pretty nice season in 2016 when he led all TEs in the NFL in receptions. But overall, the last few years haven't produced excellence at the position. This year Greg Roman was the senior offensive assistant/ tight end coach.

Next I'll bring up the defensive line coach(es) Joe Cullen took over as defensive line coach after the passing of Clarence Brooks (DL coach for the Ravens from 05-16). The team produced 31 sacks in 2016 and 40 in 2017. In comparison, the defense put up 60 sacks in 2006. Is this defense comparable to that one? Of course not, but they said they were going to be and we all know the pass rush needs to be discussed so there it is. (All DL stats are per Profootball Reference.)

If the coaches are not soley to blame (and possibly even if they are) then the scouts need to be looked into because the pass rush, wide receivers, secondary players, and tight end draft picks have left a lot to be desired these past few seasons. And let's not turn a blind eye to the traning staff. Injuries happen in the NFL, but the rate that the Ravens have been going down makes me wonder if they need to refresh that part of the staff as well.

Okay, I'm done for now.
I wonder how quickly the fanbase will turn on the next DC the moment they blow a fourth quarter lead......
Pees has been with this team for years. I don't recall the fan base calling for his head after a short period of time, but that could be the case. Regardless, his unit hasnt allowed just a single fourth quarter lead to evaporate: that has been their calling card for years, dating back to at least the 2014 playoffs. Now they were very injured in the secondary and all that jazz so he didn't get fired then, but after all these years of the same old things something needs to change.
Even swiss Pees best units were just bend-but-don't-break. He was never an excellent coach in Baltimore, merely good enough and now he isn't even that.
Harbs, MM and Pees have to go.
After the 2016 season they addressed the defense to stop this last minute meltdowns. Signed Jefferson, Williams and Carr drafted 4 guys in rounds 1-3. Yet we've got the same results no improvements at all. For the first time in franchise history our defense allowed more than 4 ypc. Our defense couldn't stop them we it mattered the most. Bowser barely even played a snap and T.Williams was inactive. I know Harbs loves his S.T but we have too many guys active for sole S.t purposes. Why didn't they play TWill or Bowser, I highly doubt they would play as bad as our current rushers.
On offense we never stick to the plays that have been working the entire game.
This teams needs a frest start and new input. Harbs will hire the same type of guys again. Harbaugh didn't prepare the team well. 28 yards passing lol. He also said he's proud of his team because they always fight through adversity and all those comebacks. Well how about putting your team in position to play the entire game? The schedule was super easy. Hundley, Brissett, Savage, Moore, Manuel and Keenum instead of Rodgers, Luck, Watson, Tannehill, Bradford, Carr.
I'm convinced we would've lost if Hue pulled Kizer. Cleveland always play us tough, but this years version was even worse. The titans and Bears game should've never been lost. Our defense absolutely got destroyed in both games against the steelers. I won't give them a pass for the London game, wrong preparation again. Why on earth do you arrive on Friday, when every other team arrives on monday or tuesday?
Time to move on.
You make a lot of good points in this post. I have always been a Harbs fan and even know my first instinct is to say that his main flaw is not picking great coordinators. But your argument about the special teams players is something to think about. I mean it's one thing to bench Perriman for Moore because ST is the tie breaker, but when your pass rush is non-existent you have to do something... and they didn't.

Last edited:

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
How do you figure they exceeded expectations...?

I will always have faith in my team but when I saw The Ravens lost Marshal Yanda, Alex Lewis and others I was skeptical about how many games The Ravens were going to win especially when they lost their starting running back. I never thought in my mind that Alex Collions who was originally cut by The Seahawks would be this good . I didn't think The offensive line would be able to pass block and run block so well.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
When an opposing team comes into your house with nothing to play for and plays more urgently than your team in the playoff hunt ,
the entire coaching staff deserves to be fired .

The Bengals have always been a pretty talented team. No matter how many games Marvin Lewis has not won in the playoffs his players seem to have always respected and played hard for him. The guy has been The Bengals head coach for 15 years for a reason. So saying that The Bengals had nothing to play for is not really true. They had alot to play for and honestly it's not like The Ravens just laid down with out a fight. They made some big mistakes on offense but they fought hard for a lead it's just unfortunate that for some reason they gave up touchdown in the end to lose the game.

Tank

Hall of Famer
I will always have faith in my team but when I saw The Ravens lost Marshal Yanda, Alex Lewis and others I was skeptical about how many games The Ravens were going to win especially when they lost their starting running back. I never thought in my mind that Alex Collions who was originally cut by The Seahawks would be this good . I didn't think The offensive line would be able to pass block and run block so well.
Yeah, they worked extremely hard to put together a patchwork O line that performed well down the stretch. And Alex Collins was a pleasant surprise that really made things go for a spell. While they fought hard on offense to overcome the adversity, in the end it was the same glaring deficiencies at the receiving positions that held them back. What looked like in August to be a stacked WR and TE lineup turned out to arguably one of their worst, or at the least most inconsistent groups ever. The drops, uninterested attitudes and lack of play making ability was maddening to watch. It does need to be said that Watson tried his hardest and should be commended, but at 37 his hardest just isn’t up to snuff.

All of that said, withstanding setback after setback yesterday, the offense and defense managed to scrape and scrap their way into what should have been a winning lead in the last game of the season, only to have another team again walk 90 yards down the field to snatch away the victory. An all too familiar scenario since 2013. Hopefully the next DC can help to reverse that trend.

While it’s doubtful they would have gone very far in the tournament at least making it there would have been a consolation prize for the efforts put forth in an all around injury riddled season. Too bad, but as you said, not unexpected. The problem we have as fans is that we never want to give up hope. Knowing the facts just doesn’t really soften the blow of such blatant and ridiculous failure.

Last edited:

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
The protests have produced empty seats for weeks now, but I tend to agree that many were probably just pessimistic about the team’s chances moving forward in the tournament, rightly so. Add in NYE and temps in the teens and we have the embarrassing half empty stadium.

Totally agree about the squad, but is that on Harbaugh? Seems there definitely needs to be a shift in philosophy in how to build the team and that would seem to suggest moving on from Ozzie to DeCosta, or maybe just a new direction mandated by Bisciotti. Not sure. Will be interesting to see how they approach the needed changes.
On the subject of Newsome; It may be time for him to move as well.
The drafting of Corrrea over Myles Jack, clearly a top five talent to my layman's eye, is inexplicable and calls the entire process into question. I see that selection as inexcusable and a clear error. There are a host of other examples one might offer as examples of questionable selection.

Player development and utilization is most probably a problem and if so, this has a lot to do with Harbaugh. It is his apparent philosophy that a player must play teams to dress. I'm certain he isn't alone in this, league-wide but Perhaps a different philosophy might yield better results.

Harbaugh's cliche's have grown stale and it's possible we need regime change for that reason alone. He hasn't exactly been a smash post Lewis/Reed and having those two hall of fame players and consummate leaders did him great favor.

This is something on which I'm sure we disagree but I would make a move on a quarterback in the first round as well.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Marvin Lewis, Rex, Pagano in my opinion should be called this offseason

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I’m still waiting patiently for the news of Marty being fired.