• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Murphy's Law, The Ugly and The Uglier

Simba

Staff Member
yeah that play where it was a straight dropback and no one blocked the DL in the a-gap and just parted like the red sea to welcome him through and straight into lamar's lap

Was that the one where Powers literally blocked no one? Like, literally didn't get his hands on a single person?

Nurps

Ravens Ring of Honor
I can't put this on Roman. He is not the one blocking for Lamar nor is he the one dropping balls.

On one series I saw a package designed to block and protect Lamar. and STILL the D-line got to Lamar and forced Lamar to dance around and throw the ball quickly.

Give credit where it's due, the Fins defense played well.

This is more of a player issue. We can't run the ball unless it's Lamar running the ball and we can't protect him.

Some things I did like. Bateman passed my eye test. First time I see him in person and boy did he make some catches. Oweh looked incredible a few times as well.
Agreed. I felt the same way watching it like you.

Nurps

Ravens Ring of Honor
And seriously. There were several instances where I didn’t even see the o line around Lamar. They were all gone and it was nothing but dolphins jerseys in the backfield. Sickening.

Michael M.

Pro Bowler
Um.... we really going to use injuries as an excuse to keep Roman aren't we? Like how long does it take to fire someone? Harbs going to make Biscotti choose between being fired or Roman's fired in order to make it happen.

Fire Roman, promote Tee Martin who has previous OC experience.
Agree-Ravens need to hold onto Tee Martin. Anorher team may hire him for OC next year.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
I was personally aboard the notion of potentially moving on from Roman last season. But this is arguably the first game we've seen this season with an overlap to our 2020 issues from a schematic standpoint. We've been vastly different this season overall, and for the better. Pulling the plug now would, strangely, feel premature.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Another thing I noticed but when Boykin was on the field we ran it every time or at least it seemed and with him lining up in the slot a lot we shoulda ran some quick seam plays to break the Cover 0 just to make them respect it. It's like we're a greenhorn card player showing our hand.

And just to pile on wtf was with the 3 straight screens to Hollywood. Instead of going outside the numbers we shoulda had some quick slants and crossing patterns working the middle of the field.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I was personally aboard the notion of potentially moving on from Roman last season. But this is arguably the first game we've seen this season with an overlap to our 2020 issues from a schematic standpoint. We've been vastly different this season overall, and for the better. Pulling the plug now would, strangely, feel premature.

i was willing to give roman a do-over for 2020 with all the OL issues and stilted offseason
he's shown us he's a good coordinator and done a lot of stuff to develop and advance this offence (obviously it still starts with lamar) - one game where as much blame should be put on the players as the coaches should not change how we felt about roman before that (and if you've been paying attention this season you should have no issues with Roman beyond maybe sticking to the run game a little too much and too long when it's not been giving us value)

rossihunter2

Staff Member

the one major silver lining here is that this has happened now...

it's a shame we didnt find a solution during the bye but we've got time left in the season to fix it and you know lamar's gonna work hard on it... especially after it ruined his home-coming in miami on primetime

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
So the morning after or something like that…

1. Sammy Watkins pissed me off with the fumble six not because of the fumble but his demeanor after. I mean I see you fumble the football dude and then you’re there smiling. I’m not one just to get upset about appearances but you have to be kidding me.

2. The OL was beyond terrible. This was one of the worst offensive line performances I’ve ever seen. I often saw the entire DL in the backfield. I even had to mention it to my family that how can Lamar throw when the entire defense is sometimes literally in his face as the ball snapped? Never saw so many penetrating defenders before. It was insane.

3. Lamar clearly let this get to him and played bad just when he had a chance to recover. I get it, you’re pissed—you have every right but man you need to shake it off. Those throws to Hollywood sometime after the fumble six were just bad and clearly had aggression behind them.

4. This defense is very bad. I’m not sure how you fix it. You have problems on DL and in secondary. Not sure what happened but many guys are not doing well that are paid to do well in Humphrey and Clark. It’s like everyone is having a down year simultaneously.

I’m not trying to be negative but it will take some real wizardry to pull this around. I don’t envy Harbaugh atm. He has a tough gig because some of these guys seem checked out. I can’t even completely blame Roman either because I feel a lot of this is very bad player execution. I’m surprisingly less worried about the offense than I am the defense. If defense wins championships then we won’t

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
So the morning after or something like that…

1. Sammy Watkins pissed me off with the fumble six not because of the fumble but his demeanor after. I mean I see you fumble the football dude and then you’re there smiling. I’m not one just to get upset about appearances but you have to be kidding me.

2. The OL was beyond terrible. This was one of the worst offensive line performances I’ve ever seen. I often saw the entire DL in the backfield. I even had to mention it to my family that how can Lamar throw when the entire defense is sometimes literally in his face as the ball snapped? Never saw so many penetrating defenders before. It was insane.

3. Lamar clearly let this get to him and played bad just when he had a chance to recover. I get it, you’re pissed—you have every right but man you need to shake it off. Those throws to Hollywood sometime after the fumble six were just bad and clearly had aggression behind them.

4. This defense is very bad. I’m not sure how you fix it. You have problems on DL and in secondary. Not sure what happened but many guys are not doing well that are paid to do well in Humphrey and Clark. It’s like everyone is having a down year simultaneously.

I’m not trying to be negative but it will take some real wizardry to pull this around. I don’t envy Harbaugh atm. He has a tough gig because some of these guys seem checked out. I can’t even completely blame Roman either because I feel a lot of this is very bad player execution. I’m surprisingly less worried about the offense than I am the defense. If defense wins championships then we won’t

I like to add Marlon going on Twitter after the game to compliment the WR of the team that just spank you is a beta move.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
This it true, but we have to know that he can implement a gameplan that can counter this, he HAS to because now the film is out there, and he absolutely should be able to beat this.

the fact that he made like 2 attempts at the correct counter to this defense, and they both “worked”(although one ended with Sammy’s fumble six which isn’t on the playcall obviously) is really questionable. It’s also strange how the only checks we saw from the line were unblocked screens to the flat which is EXACTLY what we saw last week, and that was very clearly the wrong idea entirely.

so yeah, I’m on the fire Roman train until he shows that he can counter these highly vulnerable styles of defense. I mean for fucks sake, we run a very similar cover 1/0 defense, and we’ve gotten gashed all year, take fucking notes dude.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This it true, but we have to know that he can implement a gameplan that can counter this, he HAS to because now the film is out there, and he absolutely should be able to beat this.

the fact that he made like 2 attempts at the correct counter to this defense, and they both “worked”(although one ended with Sammy’s fumble six which isn’t on the playcall obviously) is really questionable. It’s also strange how the only checks we saw from the line were unblocked screens to the flat which is EXACTLY what we saw last week, and that was very clearly the wrong idea entirely.

so yeah, I’m on the fire Roman train until he shows that he can counter these highly vulnerable styles of defense. I mean for fucks sake, we run a very similar cover 1/0 defense, and we’ve gotten gashed all year, take fucking notes dude.

tbf we run that defence but it's really rare that defences have ever played that way against us - lamar's not faced it much and when he has he's not been that great against it

Corvus Purpura

Practice Squad
I was at the 2007 game too. I’m 2-2 lol
2-2 seems pretty decent for road games. I've been to Ravens road games in San Diego, San Francisco, LA, Las Vegas and Denver and have seen exactly one win among them. Not many worse things in life than the walk of shame out of another's stadium.
Happily, the only home loss I've seen was in pre-season.

Tank

Hall of Famer
He made my shit list last night. I don’t know if I’ll ever forgive him for giving up on a clear TD throw. It might have changed the entire game if he wasn’t such a BITCH.
Watkins reminds me of Maclin.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
If we see anything close to this again I swear to god Roman needs to be right out the door with no hesitation. This is elementary shit to beat in the nfl, RUN A FUCKING QUICK SLANT! Seriously it’s that simple. Run. A fucking. Slant. And again. And again. And fucking again until they start dropping blitzers. Then run a slant elsewhere. Rinse and repeat for fucks sake. Greg Roman can be so brilliant with his blocking schemes but he is still such a fucking amateur in his passing concepts. If he sees this same approach at any point this season and he doesn’t shred tf out of it, or at least show an understanding of how to beat it, he’s gotta go, straight up.

this was the single worst coordinated game I’ve seen for the ravens.
The way the Dolphins were playing some of the quick slants could have turned into 70 -80 yard td's .