• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Murphy's Law, The Ugly and The Uglier

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
What is there to shake up, though? Personnel changes? Where are those coming from?

Like if I did a straight personnel analysis from last night, I'd be targeting the Oline and probably like Watkins as guys I'd want to see less of. Watkins is an easier fix, but how do I shakeup personnel on the Oline? Only way you do that is to wait for Mekari to come back. I don't see anybody else on the roster or in FA that's going to change anything.

I'm not totally devaluing the idea of "motivation" from leadership, but like if you're an NFL player, and you can't get motivated on gameday, I don't know what a coach is going to do to change that. I would think there would be sufficient motivation in the idea that a) a lot of these guys can be cut at any given time, which means their paychecks stop coming in and b) these aren't Rhodes Scholars who can afford to do nothing for the rest of their life either, so playing at a high level to avoid involuntary retirement and "getting a real job" seems like pretty strong motivation to me.

Yep definitely no easy answer out there. Firing Greg Roman is certainly not it. I think we’ve already ID the problem of injuries/ player execution rather poor coaching. I have no idea what the pulse of the team is, but if I’m Harbs I’m crushing some souls this week and plastering the walls with stats or highlights from the game. They can give up and we’ll get a decent draft pick or suck up their pride and respond appropriately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marklar

Pro Bowler
Since I'm not as dedicated a fan as rossi, I chose sleep over watching live and just finished watching the game. Obviously not a good game, but I sort of appreciate a good old-fashioned low-scoring defensive slugfest. The ravens losing it isn't very much fun though.

First of all, I'm surprised that no one has commented that Aikman is still the reigning "biggest moron around the NFL". The guy spends the entire first quarter praising the Ravens O-line. WTF, man? He's been annoying for years, but I think he's getting even dumber than before.

No one has figured out Lamar, but I think the Ravens OL has been figured out by now. Everyone here has known it to be the achilles heel of the team and just a disaster in waiting, and Miami's game plan exposed just how terrible the situation is. I don't think it is fixable, but if by some miracle, James indeed is ready to play and in good shape in December, that would be the only possible improvement.

An overarching theme this year - if you constantly lose the turnover battle, you're not winning many games. To me, that's the biggest problem with this year's team. Get a couple of takeaways here and there and most of the nail-biter games are easy wins. And a game like this would have been a win if you get a couple of turnovers.

The pass defense is frustrating as usual. Really good for most of the game, and 2-3 horrible lapses every game. I can't figure out what the problem is, but perhaps the defensive scheme is simply too complex so the DBs don't know what was called?

marklar

Pro Bowler
Regarding the "fire Roman", I have to make a very firm stand against that. There's no OC I'd rather have, and half the HCs/OCs in this league would have put rookie Lamar in a permanent backup role since he doesn't fit the traditional QB role. Then we'd never gotten to see the incredible talent he is.

Roman can do better than yesterday, but the Ravens would be a lot worse without him.

You hit the nail on the head with the highlighted part! We are not as good as we think we are. Most fans' expectations are still of a team with 3 healthy 1st string RB's, an elite LT, a healthy Oline, and TE's. None of those things are true NOW. We are a M*A*S*H ward all over the place.

That said, the coaches made no adjustments and were terrible in their in-game-planning. I was actually excited to see some of the early runs, but then that was abandoned and Freeman simply disappeared. Should anyone be fired? No. But it's also not like we haven't seen this type of poor preparation and lack of adjustment from JH lead teams of the past. But I'm willing to give a pass this year - yes, this YEAR. We don't have the personnel NOW to be as good as everyone thought we would be at the beginning. We'll likely limp into and out of the Playoffs.
With the injuries, we're a mediocre roster being carried by a superstar quarterback. The result is that we'll be inconsistent as hell all year. This team could go and win it all or not win a game again all season and I wouldn't really be surprised by either.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
He said last night’s loss severely hurt his chances at winning MVP lmao. [profanity deleted] is a Steelers fan as well

“Dumba$$” is censored?!
He’s not wrong though, it definitely hurt. He will need to redeem his candidacy now

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Since I'm not as dedicated a fan as rossi, I chose sleep over watching live and just finished watching the game. Obviously not a good game, but I sort of appreciate a good old-fashioned low-scoring defensive slugfest. The ravens losing it isn't very much fun though.

First of all, I'm surprised that no one has commented that Aikman is still the reigning "biggest moron around the NFL". The guy spends the entire first quarter praising the Ravens O-line. WTF, man? He's been annoying for years, but I think he's getting even dumber than before.

No one has figured out Lamar, but I think the Ravens OL has been figured out by now. Everyone here has known it to be the achilles heel of the team and just a disaster in waiting, and Miami's game plan exposed just how terrible the situation is. I don't think it is fixable, but if by some miracle, James indeed is ready to play and in good shape in December, that would be the only possible improvement.

An overarching theme this year - if you constantly lose the turnover battle, you're not winning many games. To me, that's the biggest problem with this year's team. Get a couple of takeaways here and there and most of the nail-biter games are easy wins. And a game like this would have been a win if you get a couple of turnovers.

The pass defense is frustrating as usual. Really good for most of the game, and 2-3 horrible lapses every game. I can't figure out what the problem is, but perhaps the defensive scheme is simply too complex so the DBs don't know what was called?
Lazy journalism from Aikman there. That also pissed me off also just assuming 5 names were our main injuries when the list is far longer

Nurps

Ravens Ring of Honor
Am I the only one who noticed the low snaps almost all night? Not sure it affected much but Lamar was leaning down to catch the snaps constantly from my vantage point.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Am I the only one who noticed the low snaps almost all night? Not sure it affected much but Lamar was leaning down to catch the snaps constantly from my vantage point.

I was freaking out about it all night in the game thread. It was truly ridiculous. On a day where fractions of a second really mattered, he got 0 good snaps

Argentina Raven

Practice Squad
The teams are using our own medicine, the blitz, with a decent ol you can handle it, the dolphins handled it, the dolphins, that line handled it.
Ours since yanda's retirement is not a good line, and that falls on decosta and scouting, they have not provided any solution in the last 3 years, neither in centers, nor in guards and now in tackles.
please don't let harbaugh pick his linemen, call scarnechia and have him advise them

rossihunter2

Staff Member

there are currently only 5 teams with worse turnover differentials than us in the NFL this season: Panthers, Jags, Chiefs, 49ers, Jets

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Um.... we really going to use injuries as an excuse to keep Roman aren't we? Like how long does it take to fire someone? Harbs going to make Biscotti choose between being fired or Roman's fired in order to make it happen.

Fire Roman, promote Tee Martin who has previous OC experience.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
He made my shit list last night. I don’t know if I’ll ever forgive him for giving up on a clear TD throw. It might have changed the entire game if he wasn’t such a BITCH.
I was extremely vocal about my dislike of the signing. Screamed of desperation. That, and trying to sign Hilton.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Um.... we really going to use injuries as an excuse to keep Roman aren't we? Like how long does it take to fire someone? Harbs going to make Biscotti choose between being fired or Roman's fired in order to make it happen.

Fire Roman, promote Tee Martin who has previous OC experience.

oh come on - dont be ridiculous
we're not firing Roman, we're definitely not firing Harbs

and nor should we

rossihunter2

Staff Member
but my question is...

why cant we have nice things at the same time for once - why does every victory have to come with more injuries and why cant we have an injury free game and still win?

also turns out Tavon left the game with a foot injury yesterday so...
giphy.gif

jboy19

Pro Bowler
I didn't get to watch most of the game because I was at a showing of "The Eternals," but I honestly think there is a solution to teams blitzing 7 or 8 defenders. I don't want to give the OL a pass because they were obviously hot garbage last night, but it's not like any OL is going to be able to hold up to that many blitzers coming on every down. Lamar is capable, I think, of making fast reads and getting the ball out quick (and honestly if he isn't, then we should really know that by now), but Roman needs to move away from slow-developing backfield misdirection shit and more towards spread concepts if these are the defensive schemes we'll be seeing for the rest of the season.