• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Murphy's Law, The Ugly and The Uglier

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
And that’s the thing… execution. They had a plan. We had a plan. They executed theirs better and we see the results.

Yes last night was a coaching failure but it always boggles my mind how players don’t get the blame sometimes. They were just as bad though on offense outside of a select few.
I think the media does a decent job of blaming players. I think the fanbase sucks at it. Fans generally think players play at the exact same level all the time, which couldn't be more wrong.
Plus, when the coach goes out and put the blame on him (which he's supposed to do anyway, regardless of whether its his fault or not), fans just cue off of that.
Generally speaking, in order to have a performance like we did last night, it requires poor execution and effort from pretty much everybody. Teams score 20+ points on bad gameplans all the time. Just like they score 7 points on great gameplans all the time. I've never seen a gameplan designed to fail. I've seen gameplans fail due to poor planning, and I've seen a ton of gameplans fail due to poor execution. I've also seen coaches fail to adjust their gameplan mid game, and I've seen players fail to execute those adjustments mid game.

There's no universal answer. I personally put more pressure and responsibility on the players, because a) most of them are getting paid more than the coaches and b) they're the one's actually doing the work. Coaches don't miss blocks or drop passes or run bad routes or throw errant passes or mis-read plays, etc. Players do that. Coaches are responsible for putting them in a position to succeed, not to actually succeed for them.

Coaching is purely pass/fail. If the offense scores a bunch of points, coach passes. If they don't, he fails. There's no middle ground. Players get a lot more leeway in that regard.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Who’s here a lip reader? Whatever Lamar is spittin, feels like Rashod is saying “Yes, thank you!” in agreement.

I'm still trying to figure out how Lamar is supposed to win in the postseason with no protection and trashheap running backs.

Like what was the mindset behind hoarding our 9 picks in the first 4 rounds?

Simba

Staff Member
I think the media does a decent job of blaming players. I think the fanbase sucks at it. Fans generally think players play at the exact same level all the time, which couldn't be more wrong.
Plus, when the coach goes out and put the blame on him (which he's supposed to do anyway, regardless of whether its his fault or not), fans just cue off of that.
Generally speaking, in order to have a performance like we did last night, it requires poor execution and effort from pretty much everybody. Teams score 20+ points on bad gameplans all the time. Just like they score 7 points on great gameplans all the time. I've never seen a gameplan designed to fail. I've seen gameplans fail due to poor planning, and I've seen a ton of gameplans fail due to poor execution. I've also seen coaches fail to adjust their gameplan mid game, and I've seen players fail to execute those adjustments mid game.

There's no universal answer. I personally put more pressure and responsibility on the players, because a) most of them are getting paid more than the coaches and b) they're the one's actually doing the work. Coaches don't miss blocks or drop passes or run bad routes or throw errant passes or mis-read plays, etc. Players do that. Coaches are responsible for putting them in a position to succeed, not to actually succeed for them.

Coaching is purely pass/fail. If the offense scores a bunch of points, coach passes. If they don't, he fails. There's no middle ground. Players get a lot more leeway in that regard.

Agreed. I’m not absolving the coaches by any means but it takes a combo effort to lose to a team like the Dolphins if we’re as good as we say we are. Our offensive line 2 years ago probably would have obliterated the Dolphins engage eight but we don’t have that luxury this year. The Dolphins saw a weakness. They attacked it. The players didn’t execute. We lost. Sure you can blame Roman for lack of adjustments (which is his failure) but you can also blame the OL for being putrid and the RBs for not getting anything going. It goes both ways.

But yes agreed on the fans vs. media thing. Both sides deserve to shoulder the blame but this isn’t strictly a coaching failure despite Harbaugh saying as much as coach speak. There are some players who are not doing what they’re supposed to either.

Bama Ravens

Veteran
Until he got injured I liked what Watkins brought to this offense but holy fuck he single handedly lost us this game. Also fuck the refs for saying that Andrews didn't catch that pass while Watkins was a catch and a fumble.
Dude was horrendous last night. Didn't look like he even belonged on an NFL field.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
So there is a lot of well deserved hate for Roman this morning but why not Lamar and Harbs? If Roman calls a play and Lamar doesn’t like what he sees at the line why doesn’t he change the play? My guess:

1) Harbs has him on a tight leash for some reason and his ability to change the play is limited.
2) Lamar isn’t entirely sure what he is looking at and/or what play to change it to.

Lamar gets the benefit of the doubt and people pile on the excuses like poor O line/ WR/ RB play. Why is Roman not afforded the same excuses? I never liked Roman but I don’t understand the desire to fire him this morning when he is dealing with a make shift make shift O line and lacks a true #1 at WR. Let’s at-least try to be objective and consistent

Also Harbs WTF? Lays an eggs for 2 Qtrs last week coming off the bye, then proceeds to do it for an entire game this week. We need more from a veteran coach. He needs to shake it up somehow to get the life back in the building.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simba

Staff Member
And a free rusher still got through

Exactly. Had essentially max protect and still couldn’t get the job done. Can’t blame coaching for that. Everyone just seemed so unsure. Even saw instances where Ricard whiffed and that’s not normal for him.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
So there is a lot of well deserved hate for Roman this morning but why not Lamar and Harbs? If Roman calls a play and Lamar doesn’t like what he sees at the line why doesn’t he change the play? My guess:

1) Harbs has him on a tight leash for some reason and his ability to change the play is limited.
2) Lamar isn’t entirely sure what he is looking at and/or what play to change it to.

Lamar gets the benefit of the doubt and people pile on the excuses like poor O line/ WR/ RB play. Why is Roman not afforded the same excuses? I never liked Roman but I don’t understand the desire to fire him this morning when he is dealing with a make shift make shift O line and lacks a true #1 at WR. Let’s at-least try to be objective and consistent

Also Harbs WTF? Lays an eggs for 2 Qtrs last week coming off the bye, then proceeds to do it for an entire game this week. We need more from a veteran coach. He needs to shake it up somehow to get the life back in the building.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What is there to shake up, though? Personnel changes? Where are those coming from?

Like if I did a straight personnel analysis from last night, I'd be targeting the Oline and probably like Watkins as guys I'd want to see less of. Watkins is an easier fix, but how do I shakeup personnel on the Oline? Only way you do that is to wait for Mekari to come back. I don't see anybody else on the roster or in FA that's going to change anything.

I'm not totally devaluing the idea of "motivation" from leadership, but like if you're an NFL player, and you can't get motivated on gameday, I don't know what a coach is going to do to change that. I would think there would be sufficient motivation in the idea that a) a lot of these guys can be cut at any given time, which means their paychecks stop coming in and b) these aren't Rhodes Scholars who can afford to do nothing for the rest of their life either, so playing at a high level to avoid involuntary retirement and "getting a real job" seems like pretty strong motivation to me.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
And that’s the thing… execution. They had a plan. We had a plan. They executed theirs better and we see the results.

Yes last night was a coaching failure but it always boggles my mind how players don’t get the blame sometimes. They were just as bad though on offense outside of a select few.
Oh I’d say plenty of people are trashing the OL, Sammy, Hollywood, the rbs, and yes even Lamar, they all had shit games, Lamar was the most excusable of the bunch because the OL and coaching absolutely did fail him, but he also left a lot of plays on the field.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Please tell me SAS said the same comment about Josh Allen when he lost last week like he said about Lamar concerning the MVP race

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
Agreed. I’m not absolving the coaches by any means but it takes a combo effort to lose to a team like the Dolphins if we’re as good as we say we are. Our offensive line 2 years ago probably would have obliterated the Dolphins engage eight but we don’t have that luxury this year. The Dolphins saw a weakness. They attacked it. The players didn’t execute. We lost. Sure you can blame Roman for lack of adjustments (which is his failure) but you can also blame the OL for being putrid and the RBs for not getting anything going. It goes both ways.

But yes agreed on the fans vs. media thing. Both sides deserve to shoulder the blame but this isn’t strictly a coaching failure despite Harbaugh saying as much as coach speak. There are some players who are not doing what they’re supposed to either.

You hit the nail on the head with the highlighted part! We are not as good as we think we are. Most fans' expectations are still of a team with 3 healthy 1st string RB's, an elite LT, a healthy Oline, and TE's. None of those things are true NOW. We are a M*A*S*H ward all over the place.

That said, the coaches made no adjustments and were terrible in their in-game-planning. I was actually excited to see some of the early runs, but then that was abandoned and Freeman simply disappeared. Should anyone be fired? No. But it's also not like we haven't seen this type of poor preparation and lack of adjustment from JH lead teams of the past. But I'm willing to give a pass this year - yes, this YEAR. We don't have the personnel NOW to be as good as everyone thought we would be at the beginning. We'll likely limp into and out of the Playoffs.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Exactly. Had essentially max protect and still couldn’t get the job done. Can’t blame coaching for that. Everyone just seemed so unsure. Even saw instances where Ricard whiffed and that’s not normal for him.

my hope above all hopes for this game is that everyone was still exhausted from playing 100 snaps of offence and had only 4 days of rest and no practices beyond walkthroughs before the dolphins game...

hopefully just a hangover

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm still trying to figure out how Lamar is supposed to win in the postseason with no protection and trashheap running backs.

Like what was the mindset behind hoarding our 9 picks in the first 4 rounds?
Muh draft picks! Maybe we can draft a FB and then have him poached from us

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Please tell me SAS said the same comment about Josh Allen when he lost last week like he said about Lamar concerning the MVP race
What did he say? And probably not, he’s tougher on Lamar because his expectations are higher

JAAM

Hall of Famer
What did he say? And probably not, he’s tougher on Lamar because his expectations are higher
He said last night’s loss severely hurt his chances at winning MVP lmao. Dumbass is a Steelers fan as well

“Dumba$$” is censored?!