• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Ty Huntley, The Big Plays and The Andy Dalton

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Wink needs to adjust his game plan. Throughout the course of the game, the opposing offense figures you out, so when crunch time comes they know where to go and how to pick up the blitz. It’s not just shit luck that we keep falling apart in big defensive moments, it’s because by the time the big moments come they’ve figured out where we’re gonna be vulnerable on money downs, because wink continues to do the same thing in the last 2 minutes that he did the first 58. He needs to start turning his game plans on its head when we get to crucial drives, throw a fucking curveball wink, it doesn’t matter how brilliant your blitz design might be when you have 1-2 guys WIDE open and the offense has a rb in pass pro to just patiently pick up the stunt.

it’s old, it’s stale, it works for 3/4 of the game every week. It’s not a coincidence, this defense works with a certain talent level but it falls apart BY DESIGN.

nothing happens this consistently by coincidence.
I don't think he needs to alter the gameplan dramatically in most cases, just situationally.

Like the TD pass where Westry gets burned... I really hated the coverage we played. It was 3rd and like 11 I believe, and we're really thin at corner, and we bring a 7 man pressure and leave guys like Westry in straight man coverage with no help. It didn't help that said 7 man pressure didn't actually generate a lot of pressure (as evidence by the fact that Dalton had plenty of time to throw a double move deep ball), but if it were me, I'm playing either a really tight zone or something that doesn't leave me susceptible to a big play there either. I understand everybody is defending the sticks, but that's the downside of said blitz is, when it doesn't get there, it's ripe for abuse.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
While I'm not going to pretend to be a punt return coverage unit expert...
Not a good day for Tylan Wallace there. He botched two punts from Koch that had a chance to really pin the Bears back. The first he's standing sort of lateral the ball when it lands (I believe between the 5-10 yard line) and so the ball basically rolls right past him into the end zone. Would seem to me the objective is to beat the punt down field (which he largely did) and position yourself a yard or two on the goal line, so you can defend it from the end zone.
Second one he's sort of chasing the punt, and he inadvertently fields it at like the 15 yard line, instead of letting it roll further. Easily missed out on another 5-10 yards, or more, on that one.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Were you in the game day thread? Because when they showed Dalton warming up, we were all dreading it.

I was a bit, but I was being super lazy and only posting a few things. I think the only thing I may have posted during the 2nd half was right after we gave up the TD on 4th and 11 because Wink pissed me off with that shit blitz playcall lol

jboy19

Pro Bowler
I can live with the offensive struggles since they ultimately made due with the backup QB, but I'm annoyed that I don't foresee the FO letting AV go unless they feel really comfortable with Stanley's recovery (which because of this season's debacle, they probably won't be). I'm honestly more comfortable with starting the best of Cleveland, Phillips or Powers at LG over going into the season with poor to no tackle depth.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I can live with the offensive struggles since they ultimately made due with the backup QB, but I'm annoyed that I don't foresee the FO letting AV go unless they feel really comfortable with Stanley's recovery (which because of this season's debacle, they probably won't be). I'm honestly more comfortable with starting the best of Cleveland, Phillips or Powers at LG over going into the season with poor to no tackle depth.
We need to let everyone go besides Z and stanley.. everyone that started yesterday other than Z, do not need to be on the field next season..

Simba

Staff Member

Id be shocked if AV is back even if Stanley still has issues. That was always a one year deal dressed up as a two year deal for cap reasons.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
Id be shocked if AV is back even if Stanley still has issues. That was always a one year deal dressed up as a two year deal for cap reasons.

For sure, and they (fortunately) haven't restructured AV's deal or anything, so they have the flexibility to dump him cheap. But this organization kept James Hurst around for 6 seasons and he was hot trash for at least 4.5 of them.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Also when talking about the bad can we mention that Wallace blew downing 2 great Koch punts today in two different ways? First he downs it when he should not and then he is completely out of position to down it.

was the other way around - think he screwed up the 2nd one because the first was in his head still and just reacted to the hop

But he’ll learn from it and he’s been a pretty nice gunner so far this year

and obviously Hollywood was out but I noticed Wallace getting some snaps there at the end on offence too

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If you say so . Even Ronnie said the first two surgeries failed . It would not surprise me if he retired .

he recently talked about the injury (I think with zrebiec) - said he probably pushed it too hard too early to get back - been no indication from anyone that there’s anything career-ending here

said he’s gonna make sure that he doesn’t go too quick this time around - make sure he takes his time to get it right

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Those boys could not contain Bateman and it showed with the PI calls.

On the PI down the sideline (think it was the first one) his release was nasty - put the DB in the washing machine at the line

on the second DPI he abused the DB with his route stem

just showing off a ton of veteran-like savvy and craft to his route-running already - the stuff we saw from him in college is really translating to the nfl fast

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I was a bit, but I was being super lazy and only posting a few things. I think the only thing I may have posted during the 2nd half was right after we gave up the TD on 4th and 11 because Wink pissed me off with that shit blitz playcall lol
I don't think I can forgive Wink for putting Westry on an island. That shit reminded me of Pees putting Chykie Brown on an island against AJ Green.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
For sure, and they (fortunately) haven't restructured AV's deal or anything, so they have the flexibility to dump him cheap. But this organization kept James Hurst around for 6 seasons and he was hot trash for at least 4.5 of them.

hurst really wasn’t (and still isn’t) trash - he was a high-level 4 position backup who you could win with but wouldn’t want starting anywhere other than LG if you has to pick

We kept him because he was cheap and reliable

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I don't think he needs to alter the gameplan dramatically in most cases, just situationally.

Like the TD pass where Westry gets burned... I really hated the coverage we played. It was 3rd and like 11 I believe, and we're really thin at corner, and we bring a 7 man pressure and leave guys like Westry in straight man coverage with no help. It didn't help that said 7 man pressure didn't actually generate a lot of pressure (as evidence by the fact that Dalton had plenty of time to throw a double move deep ball), but if it were me, I'm playing either a really tight zone or something that doesn't leave me susceptible to a big play there either. I understand everybody is defending the sticks, but that's the downside of said blitz is, when it doesn't get there, it's ripe for abuse.
pretty sure you meant to say 4th and 11.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
hurst really wasn’t (and still isn’t) trash - he was a high-level 4 position backup who you could win with but wouldn’t want starting anywhere other than LG if you has to pick

We kept him because he was cheap and reliable
Agree. Was criminally undervalued by the fanbase. The whole "he was trash" thing isn't supportable on film. People still blame him for the Flacco injury and then pretended like he was garbage years later. He wasn't.
In my eyes, he's a Ben Powers level Guard. A lot of teams would probably like to have somebody better, but from a roster construction standpoint, most teams can't afford to have studs up and down their Oline, so a lot of teams start a player or two like him.

We were highly competitive in the playoffs (including winning a road game in Pittsburgh) with Hurst playing LT.