• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

DL thread

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
It may not seem as important but I think we need an upgrade on interior defensive front. We're missing strong 5T, too but Wormley might be that.

Very good young player declared - Alabama DT (J) Da'Ron Payne.

He's been a standout on Alabama's depleted defense last season, persistent nuisance in the trenches, brick wall equivalent in run defense and often venturing to the backfield, providing constant penetration and pressure, some TFL and sacks, too.

Very quick and nimble athlete for his size and has enormous strength. Quiet and shy off the field, monster on it.

McShay thinks he's a better prospect than Robinson and Jarran Reed were coming out.

Knowing Ozzie, there's always a chance we take good D lineman if he's there but I'm just not sure what are we going to do this year with so much playmaking ability missing on our offense.

I think I'd be OK with Payne at #16. Probably little to early considering he's a junior but I don't think he'd declare if he didn't already have a word from NFL team(s), so 1st is probably the only round he can be had in.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It may not seem as important but I think we need an upgrade on interior defensive front. We're missing strong 5T, too but Wormley might be that.

Very good young player declared - Alabama DT (J) Da'Ron Payne.

He's been a standout on Alabama's depleted defense last season, persistent nuisance in the trenches, brick wall equivalent in run defense and often venturing to the backfield, providing constant penetration and pressure, some TFL and sacks, too.

Very quick and nimble athlete for his size and has enormous strength. Quiet and shy off the field, monster on it.

McShay thinks he's a better prospect than Robinson and Jarran Reed were coming out.

Knowing Ozzie, there's always a chance we take good D lineman if he's there but I'm just not sure what are we going to do this year with so much playmaking ability missing on our offense.

I think I'd be OK with Payne at #16. Probably little to early considering he's a junior but I don't think he'd declare if he didn't already have a word from NFL team(s), so 1st is probably the only round he can be had in.
I absolutely do not think this will happen. Agree he is a good player.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Btw, I do believe Wormley is that player. He did well for the limited time he was on the field

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
haha as soon as i saw this was a new thread and that you'd started it i didnt even have to check what had happened - i knew it meant that da'ron payne had declared lol
I'm a little bummed he declared. If he stayed in school, I'd have little more hope next year.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
By Matt Zenitz

[email protected]

Alabama defensive lineman Da'Ron Payne is entering the NFL draft, sources told AL.com.

The Birmingham native posted 53 tackles, a sack, eight additional quarterback hurries and an interception as a junior this season, including eight tackles and the interception along with a pass breakup in the Tide's two playoff games. He was named the defensive MVP of both the Sugar Bowl and College Football Playoff National Championship.

Alabama strength and conditioning coach Scott Cochran raved about Payne before the national championship game, calling him the best he's ever worked with.

"He's the best. He's the best I've seen," Cochran said. "I've never seen a guy hit 385 on the power clean every single year. His first year he hit 365 on the power clean and it was like wow, freshman, that's incredible."

Coming from Cochran, it has extra meaning.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I honestly wouldn't be too mad, I'm in the minority of thinking this defense is sorely lacking a dominant 5T and think it would make a world of difference and Daron Payne is nothing short of dominant. I'd obviously highly prefer a wr or ol or even a edge/LB.

Thoughts on him as a potential 3T?

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I honestly wouldn't be too mad, I'm in the minority of thinking this defense is sorely lacking a dominant 5T and think it would make a world of difference and Daron Payne is nothing short of dominant. I'd obviously highly prefer a wr or ol or even a edge/LB.

I think 3T in 34 or NT in 43 - and he can probably do both really well in pros.
Him at 3T would allow BWill to go back to do what he does best.
And yes, interior pressure/penetration is the most underrated deficiency of our D.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor

But his pass rush productivity is lacking isnt it? He only has 2 sacks for his career

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Raekwon Davis is such an amazing athlete.....i wish he was declaring thus year but holy crap.....he should be our 5tech.

I like Hand but only as a day 3 prospect

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
But his pass rush productivity is lacking isnt it? He only has 2 sacks for his career
At Bama he played nose guard but still got off lot of double blocks and provided constant pressure.
Pressure is the key imho and he does lot of that, so others can put hands on QB. As a 3T, he'd have more opportunity, too.