• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

DL thread

arnie_uk

Veteran
Whats this guy Hurst from Michigan like? Pff had him at 3 in their mock. 14 sacks 30 hits 80 hurries. Sounds like aaron donald

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Whats this guy Hurst from Michigan like? Pff had him at 3 in their mock. 14 sacks 30 hits 80 hurries. Sounds like aaron donald
More like Kawaan Short. Very explosive, good hand usage, strong both as a penetrator and a run defender. A bit short but otherwise just a complete DI.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Im assuming a 43 interior defender that would be wasted in our scheme so no point studying him?
He would be wasted in Pees' defense, but Wink will probably use one gap line schemes more often. However I doubt he'll be there at 16.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
If all the talk about winks coaching mentality is true, then I think 1 gapping will make a return in Baltimore, the reports all say that he's an aggressive guy who likes to bring the best out of his players, so with guys like Henry and carl Davis we could definitely see a lot more 1 gapping and possibly see them bust onto the scene. Carl Davis when healthy can still be a game wrecker, we've seen him penetrate well and disrupt plays even in his slumps.

Another thing worth mentioning is how much more tiresome it is to have guys 2 gap all the time, anchoring down and pushing OLs backward and occupying blockers is a lot more exhausting than trying to squeeze through a gap, so the fatigue could be a lot less for guys like Davis and Henry who both had issues with that.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Have any of you heard of Nathan Shepher from Fort Hays State? Dude seems really athletic and has a good size. Despite his school he got an invite to the Senior Bowl, where he could make a splash.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
I would be cool with a defensive player at 16 if that’s where the value is. If ravens could land a top5 caliber game wrecker like Chubb, Key, Hurst, McClellin or even a game wrecking I LB. A true shutdown cornerback would be cool as well so long as he is a true shutdown cornerback like Lattimore. Now if it’s a good defensive player and the value isn’t really any better then of course Wide Receiver should be the plan

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I would be cool with a defensive player at 16 if that’s where the value is. If ravens could land a top5 caliber game wrecker like Chubb, Key, Hurst, McClellin or even a game wrecking I LB. A true shutdown cornerback would be cool as well so long as he is a true shutdown cornerback like Lattimore. Now if it’s a good defensive player and the value isn’t really any better then of course Wide Receiver should be the plan
I doubt Chubb or Key are there, depends on how many qbs are drafted. Hurst could be available. I’m good with them if they are available also. I’m cool with Minkah if he’s available also, doubt he will be. I’d also be happy with Smith to pair with Mosely.

Defense wins championships, but we need to make a concerted effort to draft pass catchers in the 2nd and 3rd round if we don’t draft one in the first. The 2nd round should be a great spot this yr also. Talent level from pick 21 to pick 50 is about the same.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Have any of you heard of Nathan Shepher from Fort Hays State? Dude seems really athletic and has a good size. Despite his school he got an invite to the Senior Bowl, where he could make a splash.
That's all the Senior Bowl is about, finding gems out of nowhere.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
I doubt Chubb or Key are there, depends on how many qbs are drafted. Hurst could be available. I’m good with them if they are available also. I’m cool with Minkah if he’s available also, doubt he will be. I’d also be happy with Smith to pair with Mosely.

Defense wins championships, but we need to make a concerted effort to draft pass catchers in the 2nd and 3rd round if we don’t draft one in the first. The 2nd round should be a great spot this yr also. Talent level from pick 21 to pick 50 is about the same.

If somebody like Arden Key is there I would be fine defense in round 1. Then go WRs in rounds 2-3. And come away with a REAL edge rush stud 2 very good WR’s

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
If somebody like Arden Key is there I would be fine defense in round 1. Then go WRs in rounds 2-3. And come away with a REAL edge rush stud 2 very good WR’s
Totally agree. Recently read someplace, thought I posted it on here, that the teams that have won the most over the past decade, which includes us, have drafted defense a good majority of the time in the 1st and 2nd round. I’m always about bpa

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Totally agree. Recently read someplace, thought I posted it on here, that the teams that have won the most over the past decade, which includes us, have drafted defense a good majority of the time in the 1st and 2nd round. I’m always about bpa
I thought it was BOPA unless Fitz is there this year?