• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Grit, The "C" Team and The Endless Bloody Injuries

jboy19

Pro Bowler

I definitely see the logic. They got a look at what the Packers defense was going to come out with. Andrews was uncoverable all night. It’s justifiable. But (a) Rodgers was just as likely to get the win in regulation with the Extra point or the PAT and (b) it’s a 50/50 chance the offense (which was pretty much good all night) starts with the ball in OT and gets the win without the defense even taking the field.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
i think it's a combination of things making harbs more aggressive in recent weeks
1) we've got such a banged up secondary that we cannot trust them to stop an offence with any sort of regularity so if you can take it out of their hands then greaet
2) he backs the offence to win it (to get 2 yards or to convert a 4th down etc.) - he'd rather put the ball in the QB's hands than in the defence's hands
3) punting has been very hit and miss this year - so not guaranteed to pin teams back anyway
4) with the depleted secondary, field goals arent doing us much good

it's making calls that ironically might have been tougher to make when we were healthier, really easy

I hear you, but he has enough sample size now to see given the current state of the Ravens players plus GRo what the outcomes look like. All I'm saying is if he decided to go to OT next time, I wouldn't be calling for his head for the mentality switch. I was fine with it again today, just not the playcall

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Anything can happen tho man. Their special teams suck, and the kicker was having issues. Plus we had just stopped them on the previous drive. At some point you have to let the players decide who wins. If our D dindnt get it done, then so be it. They played their asses off with what they had to play with. Queen had a great night tackle wise. I think he had 12 or 13 tackles. I just think this particular gofer 2 was wrong.

right but id rather leave it in the hands of the unit that was playing well and maybe win than leave it in the hands of the unit that's not playing well and maybe go to overtime...

if anything this was harbs letting the players win... he backed them to finish it then and there

JO_75

Hall of Famer
I definitely see the logic. They got a look at what the Packers defense was going to come out with. Andrews was uncoverable all night. It’s justifiable. But (a) Rodgers was just as likely to get the win in regulation with the Extra point or the PAT and (b) it’s a 50/50 chance the offense (which was pretty much good all night) starts with the ball in OT and gets the win without the defense even taking the field.

Didn't we say this with the Chiefs? No way Mahomes doesn't get a game winning situation? Yet we stopped the Chiefs on a 4th down. Anything could have happened, too bad we won't know because Harbs is too obsessed with terrible analytics.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
idk that he's worth more than a 2nd round pick to us...
he's certainly worth more to us than to other teams right now but not team's giving us a 2nd round pick for him lol

if a team wants to give us the draft capital to add a legit talent then we're 100% getting rid of ty and working out who our next backup project is/signing a veteran

I would typically agree, but I'm just not sure that very sound logic applies to the Lamar Jackson specific Ravens. When you're gonna pay 40 plus million to LJ and construct the team to play around him and his style, the backup QB that allows you to seamlessly transition and probably win a considerable portion of games is a big deal. He's your insurance and you typically don't skimp on insurance. Remember we were paying Mallet way too much money to be the backup and he wasn't even good.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

play to win
dont play not to lose

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
haha - think the world would have exploded if we'd gone for 2 on the first one, failed, gone for 2 on the second one to go to overtime and failed again

but yeah this is why you go for 2 on the first TD so that if you dont make it you still have the ability to extend the game

Yeah this is something based on last week that we decided should have been the course of action

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I hear you, but he has enough sample size now to see given the current state of the Ravens players plus GRo what the outcomes look like. All I'm saying is if he decided to go to OT next time, I wouldn't be calling for his head for the mentality switch. I was fine with it again today, just not the playcall

if he were to stop calling it because he didnt trust the coordinator then that would be the biggest indicator yet that the coordinator's a problem

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Didn't we say this with the Chiefs? No way Mahomes doesn't get a game winning situation? Yet we stopped the Chiefs on a 4th down. Anything could have happened, too bad we won't know because Harbs is too obsessed with terrible analytics.

nope - chiefs were driving, were already in field goal range for the easy game-winner and oweh made a miracle play to force the fumble - we also had our entire secondary healthy except for MP at that point too

jboy19

Pro Bowler

I personally agree with you, but I’m sure Harbaugh had more faith in his defense in Week 2 before it was as decimated by injuries and covid as it is now. Plus Mahomes was in a slump compared to Rodgers playing MVP level football. It’s a gamble either way.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
8BD80865-9679-49C6-AC37-240C6D21DBCD.jpeg