• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2018 State of the Ravens: Bisciotti Solo Edition (2/2/18)

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Rodgers wasn't a starter until his 4th year, same year Nelson was drafted. So, "b4 Jordy"?

Arod is a great QB with or without, but there's no question that Nelson has been one of the main factors, along with a bunch of other "A level" WRs, to his success. He hasn't succeeded playing with unreliable receivers, ever. They have always made sure above all to give him good receivers with good hands.
True, I was thinking arod begsn starting in 2007, one yr prior to 2008. I’m not saying arod isn’t a great qb without Nelson

Raven fans we would love to help you guys out though as long as you can help us out in a trade lol. I mean you killed us last year lol.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Y?? I didn’t watch the presser but Decosta is as much to blame as Ozzie.
One thing I will say on this matter is that if there was one concept I gathered from the presser it’s that the likely etiology of our poor drafting of early round picks is two fold in that it’s caused by having too many cooks in the kitchen and thereby overanalysis of early round prospects. This is evident because we’ve hit on our late day picks where we don’t over analyze them because they are late round picks, and thereby have better success.

Does that mean Robinson maybe?? Or Marqise Lee Or Paul Richardson maybe?? Then draft a DJ Chark and or Anthony Miller and the aerial attack is off the ground. Resign Jensen who I think is a top 3 center and Hurst. Yes I said it Hurst. He was phenomenal at guard. He got stronger bulking up to 325 lbs and was a rock protecting Joe. And he got movement in the run game. A lot of it actually. He is an ascending guard and should be a bargain for us cuz he is under the radar. I do not believe Alex Lewis has a snowballs chance of outplaying Hurst at guard. Dare I say it but we didn’t miss Yanda as much as we would think. Cuz of Jensen and Hursts strong play. If Yanda returns to form he Jensen and Hurst is a formidable trio. Very Formidable!! Hurts and Jensen will get better.

Now all we need is 2 things. A younger dominant right tackle. And Stanley bulk up a little and fulfill his potential. And take his rightful place as the best left tackle in the league. He has near elite athleticism. And second to none technique and feel for the position. He struggled with the Vikings. I watched it 10 times. Griffin wasn’t to fast and athletic for Stanley. Ronnie got his hands on him fine!! But he didn’t make it count. He didn’t jolt or stun him to foil his rush plan. If you take late 2016 320 lb Stanley and his devastating punch. He shuts Griffin out in 50 outa 50 rush attempts. I dunno maybe he was injured or sick but Stanley lost some of that mass from late 2016. He was as big as Cam Robinson. That Stanley is dominant and was the highest rated left tackle by far over last 6 games 2016: That’s the Stanley we need to see. He with Jensen Yanda and Hurst is as good as a foursome in the league. As Yanda ages Eluemunor should be coached up. And blend in smoothly if all goes to plan.
I want us to re-sign Hurst to play RT actually because I liked how he looked when he did play RT for that brief time. I think it’s his more natural position actually. I do think he’s a decent guard though. I want him as depth and feel we should cut Howard to bring back Hurst. I can’t believe I’m even saying that. I’d love to have McGlinchey here and for the chance to put him at RT and have an OL up there with the Titans with two bookend tackles and a solid Interior. I wouldn’t rule that out as a possibility and should we miss on getting Jensen back there are mid or early round guys who can play center, like my man out of Iowa James Daniels.

I think this really comes down to the question, why has our draft not been (even close) to standard over the past few years.

1) Ozzie is slipping
2) DeCosta's increased influence
3) Harbaugh's increased influence
4) Depletion in the scouting dept
5) All or some combination of the above

I tend to think it is 5, but I really hope that it is some combination of the above and that #2 is not the reason - because we're putting ourselves squarely behind Eric and we really, really need for him to be top quality.

Some people like to speculate on the process of building the board and who holds what level of influence, but that's all that is - speculation. We've no idea what that is and will never know. I'm just hoping when Eric is in the driver's seat, he drives us in the right direction.
I think the reason for failed picks is as mentioned above: just too many opinions and too much analysis and not enough instinct. Maybe this is because of John’s influence or Eric or Ozzie or Steve or all 4 of them and Joe Ortiz. I’m sure they didn’t put as much analysis into the late round picks like Judon they just went with someone’s opinion and rolled. I think that explains the success of those picks compared to the others and it would explain why Ozzie hasn’t had the same success because perhaps he’s still good but just too much analysis on a single guy.

Cobb. Whom I'd much rather have even though he's more or less exclusively a slot guy.
Give me TY Hilton if we’re talking trading for a WR lol

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I want us to re-sign Hurst to play RT actually because I liked how he looked when he did play RT for that brief time. I think it’s his more natural position actually. I do think he’s a decent guard though. I want him as depth and feel we should cut Howard to bring back Hurst. I can’t believe I’m even saying that. I’d love to have McGlinchey here and for the chance to put him at RT and have an OL up there with the Titans with two bookend tackles and a solid Interior. I wouldn’t rule that out as a possibility and should we miss on getting Jensen back there are mid or early round guys who can play center, like my man out of Iowa James Daniels.

I would like to resign Hurst mainly for only depth purposes and I kinda thought he was better at LG than RT tbh. Regardless can play many positions on the line and has played well as the 6th olineman in heavy packages. Depends on price I guess. Also real on board with getting an olinan in the 1st since I cant recall any failures from this position at that point in the draft. Have no problem drafting an RT with the 16th. McGlinchey would be nice or possible Orlando Brown even tho I would do a tradeback then. Jensen resigning is a must in my eyes and then the returns of Yanda and Lewis (more depth) is gonna give us a strong ass oline. Skura can be used as center backup thereby giving us a strong 8.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I would like to resign Hurst mainly for only depth purposes and I kinda thought he was better at LG than RT tbh. Regardless can play many positions on the line and has played well as the 6th olineman in heavy packages. Depends on price I guess. Also real on board with getting an olinan in the 1st since I cant recall any failures from this position at that point in the draft. Have no problem drafting an RT with the 16th. McGlinchey would be nice or possible Orlando Brown even tho I would do a tradeback then. Jensen resigning is a must in my eyes and then the returns of Yanda and Lewis (more depth) is gonna give us a strong ass oline. Skura can be used as center backup thereby giving us a strong 8.
Agreed on bringing Hurst back but I wouldn’t mind rolling with him at RT. I’d prefer getting someone better but I prefer him to Howard. Don’t forget we have Siragusa coming back too.

They finished strong and are getting most of there,injured players,back or they hopedully won't be injured to start the year.

Why wouldn't the Ravens be confident?

You missed the point its just the same lip service every year, we know what our talent level is we have eyes we can deduce that there is more promise than results. In the last 5 seasons since we broke the cap for Flacco we've missed the playoffs 4 times. Coach speak is lipservice, give us results.

Tank

Hall of Famer
For me locking up Jensen is Priority 1B along with 1A WRs and TE. He played amazingly well considering it was his first year at C and we’ve had a void there since Birk’s retirement. Pay the man!

Agreed on bringing Hurst back but I wouldn’t mind rolling with him at RT. I’d prefer getting someone better but I prefer him to Howard. Don’t forget we have Siragusa coming back too.
Yeah - the more I think about it the more I am of the mind that Howard will be a cap casualty. He served us pretty well as a stop-gap, but if we can get Hurst to return relatively cheaply, then getting Siragusa back, Lewis back (maybe ... unless this injury thing becomes a annual event) and then likely a little help from the draft, we'll be OK on the o line and can use the cash.

What is going to be interesting is what we do with Skura. He played very well, by all accounts, so with Yanda back, I assume he'll be given every opportunity to win the job at LG. The question then is how do we view Lewis and could he be a potential move to RT. I don't think they'll want to just hand the job to Hurst.

Of course, much of this depends upon the return of Jensen, which is anything but certain. If he goes, that's going to shake things up a lot.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
Yeah - the more I think about it the more I am of the mind that Howard will be a cap casualty. He served us pretty well as a stop-gap, but if we can get Hurst to return relatively cheaply, then getting Siragusa back, Lewis back (maybe ... unless this injury thing becomes a annual event) and then likely a little help from the draft, we'll be OK on the o line and can use the cash.

What is going to be interesting is what we do with Skura. He played very well, by all accounts, so with Yanda back, I assume he'll be given every opportunity to win the job at LG. The question then is how do we view Lewis and could he be a potential move to RT. I don't think they'll want to just hand the job to Hurst.

Of course, much of this depends upon the return of Jensen, which is anything but certain. If he goes, that's going to shake things up a lot.

It's just extremely hard to predict how OL contracts will go. Their contract numbers tend to be inflated since there isn't a lot of talent in the league at those positions. Jensen could end up bringing in 9mil/year and Hurst could even bring in a pretty big contract. We see OL with bad tape/lack of good experience get big contracts every year (Tretter, Sweezy, etc.). So retaining Hurst/Jensen could put the team in a pretty bad cap situation.

Howard at 5mil/year isn't a bad contract and Im pretty confident that the team won't find a better player at a lower price- unless they hit in the draft. RT is a big gap if Howard walks because there isn't another solid option currently on the roster. Lewis is a popular candidate on the boards to play RT, but when he filled in at tackle his play left a lot to be desired. The Ravens have had decent success drafting/developing OL, so its possible that they go for a guy in the draft, but at the moment, I think keeping Howard is a good idea.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
While he had a down year in no way do I think he is done. And while he may not be the #1 we seek a half Nelson is better than anything we have. lol

i imagine it's gonna be cobb who gets cut in stead of nelson - both of them have similar cap hits and save a similar amount of money when they get cut... and nelson is a better receiver than cobb for me even now - nelson has slowed down since his injury but cobb has also disappeared since too...

It's just extremely hard to predict how OL contracts will go. Their contract numbers tend to be inflated since there isn't a lot of talent in the league at those positions. Jensen could end up bringing in 9mil/year and Hurst could even bring in a pretty big contract. We see OL with bad tape/lack of good experience get big contracts every year (Tretter, Sweezy, etc.). So retaining Hurst/Jensen could put the team in a pretty bad cap situation.

Howard at 5mil/year isn't a bad contract and Im pretty confident that the team won't find a better player at a lower price- unless they hit in the draft. RT is a big gap if Howard walks because there isn't another solid option currently on the roster. Lewis is a popular candidate on the boards to play RT, but when he filled in at tackle his play left a lot to be desired. The Ravens have had decent success drafting/developing OL, so its possible that they go for a guy in the draft, but at the moment, I think keeping Howard is a good idea.
You could be right about Hurst getting more money than we can imagine. Jensen will get paid, but of course the question is, how much? I am afraid he is going to be one of those guys we're going to wind up letting go and saying, he's getting paid how much?

There are a lot of teams out there with money to burn, so yes, the market could be driven up more than we think.

Still the team is going to be left looking for ways to make some cash available and there aren't many options, which is why Howard will still be given a long, hard look.

Tank

Hall of Famer
i imagine it's gonna be cobb who gets cut in stead of nelson - both of them have similar cap hits and save a similar amount of money when they get cut... and nelson is a better receiver than cobb for me even now - nelson has slowed down since his injury but cobb has also disappeared since too...
It’s possible. Jordy is the better receiver, but Cobb is 5 years younger with presumably more left in the tank. That may mean a more lucrative contract in the way of guaranteed $.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It’s possible. Jordy is the better receiver, but Cobb is 5 years younger with presumably more left in the tank. That may mean a more lucrative contract in the way of guaranteed $.

yeah but the packers wont be paying cobb that money... he's not playing well enough to justify his contract
jordy's also more likely to be extendable at a lower rate - it makes tonnes more sense (in my view) to keep jordy and cut cobb

RayRayRaven

Veteran
Thank God next is ozzes last. Way too much liability there.
Bisciottis actions didn't match his words.......surprise, surprise.
Ozze's here, Decost is here, morningwig is here, harbaugh is here and flacco is here .....and its the fault of the scouts.
Bisciotti is going to rue the day he didn't let DeCost go to Green Bay, he didn't like the question but we certainly are at a crossroads and he stayed on the same old road.
"staying the course........staying the course'.
This speech more than any Bisciotti has delivered made it clear he is part of the decline.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
I agree, Arod was great before Nelson was drafted in 2008, but I also believe Nelson would do well on other teams. If not now, atleast in his prime. I also believe Butler could be a fit here, but feel he is looking for a team where he can be a starter and if rather have him as a number 3.

In my opinion Butler could be a No.2 and even surprise as a No.1 he is that talented. But held back playing behind high cost WRs. HE is the kinda young skilled player looking for opportunity we should be looking for. I agree Jordy coulda been good on a different team but not quite as great as with Rodgers. But now Nelson needs an elite QB to be average. Not the player he was by far

Last edited: