• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2018 State of the Ravens: Bisciotti Solo Edition (2/2/18)

K-Dog

MVP
But he's not criticizing, he's telling it how it is.

Someone asks: "what do you have to say about the lack of talent on the roster?" Is he supposed to lie and say "well we're highly talented and have a bright future and have drafted great!" Or does he say "well, we gotta allocate cap space better, we gotta draft better, we gotta make better FA signings"

Have you never heard Steve Biscotti do an interview?
He is really good and dodge and spin.

He will communicate what he feels he needs to communicate. He will protect who he feels he needs to protect.
You don't take your business to the level he has and not know things or two about communication and knowing what to say and when to say it.

Somerset Ravens

Pro Bowler
But he's not criticizing, he's telling it how it is.

Someone asks: "what do you have to say about the lack of talent on the roster?" Is he supposed to lie and say "well we're highly talented and have a bright future and have drafted great!" Or does he say "well, we gotta allocate cap space better, we gotta draft better, we gotta make better FA signings"

That is a very fine line. I expect Steve to be positive, saying something vague like we will look to improve in all areas and we are planning on a successful 2018 season.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
My guess is Steve is fucking tired of the coachspeak. He doesn't want harbaugh providing the typical lip service, he's there to give answers, give his insight, and send a message to the staff as well as the fans.

I expect harbaugh and the rest of the staff to be on heavy notice by the end of this. Not being there to defend themselves as Steve points out things like shit playcalling, shit use of personnel, continuing streak of major injuries worse than any team in the league, and worst of all horrible drafting, they will be redfaced as hell as they watch from their offices.
I think the right expression would have been My hope.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That is a very fine line. I expect Steve to be positive, saying something vague like we will look to improve in all areas and we are planning on a successful 2018 season.

as much as id love to spin negative about steve at times he's never been a guy to say stuff like that - he's always positive to an extent but has never shied away from being at times surprisingly candid - he's not gonna throw ozzie, eric, harbs, dick cass, joe hortiz or joe under the bus but he's not gonna beat around the bush either...

he's in the unique position that only 31 other people are in that he can say what he thinks/feels about an nfl team without repercussion...

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
as much as id love to spin negative about steve at times he's never been a guy to say stuff like that - he's always positive to an extent but has never shied away from being at times surprisingly candid - he's not gonna throw ozzie, eric, harbs, dick cass, joe hortiz or joe under the bus but he's not gonna beat around the bush either...

he's in the unique position that only 31 other people are in that he can say what he thinks/feels about an nfl team without repercussion...

I'd throw Pat Moriarty under the bus.

I'd throw Pat Moriarty under the bus.
I don't know how much Moriarty is to blame for the current cap situation. I have to think the FO and staff say, we want to keep or obtain player X, Pat, how do we make that happen and stay within the cap this year? He provides the answer and FO either OKs it or says, no, having player X isn't worth the damage it does to our future cap situation.

It's not just our cap situation, but it's that AND the dearth of play-making, star, pro-bowl level talent. If we've crippled ourselves regarding the cap, but got that kind of talent the process, the cap situation would be a lot easier to swallow.

RayRayRaven

Veteran
Bisciotti is gonna do what he's always done. He is gonna "stick with the sound business plan". He looks at 9-7 and sees progress. We were in the playoffs until the last minute and that is what he will say. Never mind the unusually weak schedule (getting very patriot like) the only team we beat with a winning record was the woefully inconsistent Lions team at HOME. Never mind the D couldn't hold again, Never mind the Offense is putrid. Never mind the drafting has been abysmal. Never mind the overall talent level has tanked. None of that is gonna matter. He'll state the same platitudes and hint at change if progress doesn't ensue, but in the end we'll be right back here in 2019, sticking to the "sound business plan".

Have you never heard Steve Biscotti do an interview?
He is really good and dodge and spin.

He will communicate what he feels he needs to communicate. He will protect who he feels he needs to protect.
You don't take your business to the level he has and not know things or two about communication and knowing what to say and when to say it.

agreed

I

It's not just our cap situation, but it's that AND the dearth of play-making, star, pro-bowl level talent. If we've crippled ourselves regarding the cap, but got that kind of talent the process, the cap situation would be a lot easier to swallow.

that's it. we need to face patsies to have a chance at this stage.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
It's not good business sense to publicly throw your employees under the bus. That's not only the best way to immediately lose respect from your peers(looking at you Jerry Jones), but it's also the quickest way to aleinate those who are working for you.

For what it's worth, if we miss the playoffs again, I want Harbaugh fired. Especially since he's unwilling to can Marty when we have a clear cut upgrade on the roster and has proven time, after time, that he is far too loyal to his staff.... He's a good coach, but that's his fatal flaw and I stand pat behind my belief that until Marty is gone we cannot win a ring.

But at the same time.. People who say "we need to hold people accountable" need to respectfully get their heads out of their fifth points of contact. Steve is a smart businessman. The last thing he needs to do is go out and lambast and call people out to the masses. This is an NFL team, not British Parliament. You don't want to risk pissing off the players, whom are ultimately your most important employees. If you are going to hold your employees accountable, or put them on notice you do it behind closed doors. Something clearly changed with Ozzie's offseason strategy two seasons ago and each season onward we have made significant improvements. Yes, our team this past season was MUCH better than it was in 2016 despite us missing the playoffs again. Steve probably told him his ass was on the line, as it rightfully STILL should be given that he keeps fucking ignoring the clear cut issues with the team.

As for Harbaugh, I don't give a shit about his coach speak. I really don't care. I know it's annoying and provides no value.... BUT THATS THE POINT. Business politics 101. You fuck up and have to speak to the public, you don't throw your players under the bus(again, looking at you Dean Pees), you don't do anything to demoralize them, you don't show any signs of defeat or weakness. It's basic business politics.

Steve doing this on his own indicates a few things to me.

1. He's going to give us the truth.. To an extent. He will phrase it in a way where he goes "we clearly have needs, but I trust my staff to fulfill them"
2. He will not call anyone out, he will not throw anyone under the bus, his entire speech will be a calculated business decision.
3. He will accurately lay out a plan and foundation for the offseason.. And we better fucking follow it this go around. I am still pissed off at Ozzie who said we needed to build up the Oline this past offseason and we fucking did NOTHING. We got no help for Joe and it was ultimately a kicker this season.

Don't expect anything crazy.

Im expecting more of the same next year, same HC, same QB, awful oline, same awful offense, lose games we shouldnt, win games we shouldnt and probably get knocked out of the playoff race right at the end.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Im expecting more of the same next year, same HC, same QB, awful oline, same awful offense, lose games we shouldnt, win games we shouldnt and probably get knocked out of the playoff race right at the end.

When you say awful offense and awful OLine that makes,me wonder if you even watched the last half of the year. The offense needs some weapons that don't suck but they were actually surprisingly good im the second half.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
When you say awful offense and awful OLine that makes,me wonder if you even watched the last half of the year. The offense needs some weapons that don't suck but they were actually surprisingly good im the second half.

All things considered, the offense carried the team for the latter parts of the season while the defense regressed after losing Jimmy. IF we add some play-makers to the offense then I think we're in great shape to return to the playoffs.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Flacco was very clean the second half of the season. The oline performed very well.

Because we luckily found a HB on the trash heap who nobody knew could create yards on his own, look at the dropoff to West. Collins powered this machine this season not our dumpster fire guards or Flacco and his shit tier QBR.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Because we luckily found a HB on the trash heap who nobody knew could create yards on his own, look at the dropoff to West. Collins powered this machine this season not our dumpster fire guards or Flacco and his shit tier QBR.

You keep saying that but the actual games in the second half didn't play out that way. Ojr offense was awful the first half of the year but that final stretch was the offense and in large parts the passing attack coming alive and stomping.

You are right now arguing that what actually happened didn't except we all watched the games and saw it happen.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
You keep saying that but the actual games in the second half didn't play out that way. Ojr offense was awful the first half of the year but that final stretch was the offense and in large parts the passing attack coming alive and stomping.

You are right now arguing that what actually happened didn't except we all watched the games and saw it happen.
Joes mechanics the 2nd half were the best it’s been in yrs. this along with the offensive line, Woodhead coming back and Collins, along with a better game plan, are the reasons we did better th second half.

Its too bad whatever we flashed on offense wasnt enough to make a difference, we still missed the playoffs.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler

The offensive line wasn't even awful last year. I think Greg Roman and Joe D'Alessandris definitely deserve a raise(Roman actually did) for what they were able to do and get out of the players that were starting at the offensive line. Hopefully The Ravens can re-sign Ryan Jensen but I can only imagine how better his offensive line can be with Marshal Yanda and Alex Lewis returning. I think Roman and Joe D got this offensive line thing figured out it's just up to Marty Mornhingweg and Jame Urban to get the passing game and Joe Flacco to a better level even thought the offensive passing game was pretty good during the second half of the season.

James Urban could actually be a under radar hire because not only has he had success before as a quarterback coach but the guy has been apart of some pretty good offensive system from Andy Reid ,Jay Gruden and Hue Jackson offense. I doubt he won't have any involvement with the passing game.

The offensive line wasn't even awful last year. I think Greg Roman and Joe D'Alessandris definitely deserve a raise(Roman actually did) for what they were able to do and get out of the players that were starting at the offensive line. Hopefully The Ravens can re-sign Ryan Jensen but I can only imagine how better his offensive line can be with Marshal Yanda and Alex Lewis returning. I think Roman and Joe D got this offensive line thing figured out it's just up to Marty Mornhingweg and Jame Urban to get the passing game and Joe Flacco to a better level even thought the offensive passing game was pretty good during the second half of the season.

James Urban could actually be a under radar hire because not only has he had success before as a quarterback coach but the guy has been apart of some pretty good offensive system from Andy Reid ,Jay Gruden and Hue Jackson offense. I doubt he won't have any involvement with the passing game.

Yes the line was diminished and overachieved but we should never have allowed ourselves to start the likes of Skura and Hurst, they are the weakest linemen we've had since Chris Chester.

The other part is only Alex Lewis is expected to be back to full strength for OTAs, theres no guarantee that Jensen will return or that Yanda will return for another season.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Yes the line was diminished and overachieved but we should never have allowed ourselves to start the likes of Skura and Hurst, they are the weakest linemen we've had since Chris Chester.

The other part is only Alex Lewis is expected to be back to full strength for OTAs, theres no guarantee that Jensen will return or that Yanda will return for another season.

Both Skura and Hurst played well last season.If they are weakest linemen The Ravens had since Chris Chester who actually was solid player for The Ravens then i'm sure that's enough to discredit how well they played. Let's keep in mind that The Ravens not only loss Alex Lewis and Marshal Yanda but they also loss main back up linemen Nico Siragursa and John Urchel to either injury or retirement. They also had veteran linemen on the team that they either signed or traded for that didn't play well which gave a guy like Matt Skura a shot to play from the start.

This may not have been the original plan by The Ravens but I got to give credit when it's due and Greg Roman along with Joe D'Alessandris did real good job last year coaching The Ravens offensive line. I don't know awhole lot about Marshal Yanda situation but I believe he said that he plan to play in 2018 so hopefully he does.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Last half of the year means nothing. Remember people in here were posting all those pff picks about how we was 2md best LT last half of the year last year? Or when we had best secondary or defense last half of the year last year? both stanley nor our defense played like that " last half of year".