• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2022 Offseason Thread

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Powers feels very much like they’re pumping him up for a trade. Harbaugh saying he’ll play some C? That’s not for us. That’s for other teams.
Maybe. I'm still hesitant to assume we're dumping him unless one of the other guys, like Phillips or Cleveland, really emerges as that starter. So far that doesn't appear to have happened. I just have my doubts that like we're giving Powers so much action in the preseason, and theoretically, taking away action from a true competition at LG, just to pump the guy up for a trade. Like regardless of how much we pump him up, he's not fetching more than like a late-mid to late draft pick. Like getting a 5th or 6th rounder for him I think would be a good get.

Think he may be playing some C more out of necessity than need. I've been questioning for awhile whether Mekari is actually the backup C, or if the team views him primarily as a Tackle/Guard. If that's the case, Linderbaum is unlikely to play, meaning you need bodies there anyway.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Maybe. I'm still hesitant to assume we're dumping him unless one of the other guys, like Phillips or Cleveland, really emerges as that starter. So far that doesn't appear to have happened. I just have my doubts that like we're giving Powers so much action in the preseason, and theoretically, taking away action from a true competition at LG, just to pump the guy up for a trade. Like regardless of how much we pump him up, he's not fetching more than like a late-mid to late draft pick. Like getting a 5th or 6th rounder for him I think would be a good get.

Think he may be playing some C more out of necessity than need. I've been questioning for awhile whether Mekari is actually the backup C, or if the team views him primarily as a Tackle/Guard. If that's the case, Linderbaum is unlikely to play, meaning you need bodies there anyway.
we did end up getting a 4th rounder from the Pats for trading Eleumenor. I think we may be able to get a 5th rounder for Powers, but I agree one of Phillips or Cleveland needs to step up.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Powers feels very much like they’re pumping him up for a trade. Harbaugh saying he’ll play some C? That’s not for us. That’s for other teams.

certainly could be - there's no reason why he'd be the backup C in preseason if he was the clear starter at LG - if it was that clear, he'd play a couple of drives at LG and then we wouldnt see him the rest of the game and they'd just let Colon take almost all the reps at C and have phillips and cleveland as the 2 Gs for the vast majority

and there's still that 2m saving we get from getting rid of him

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
where'd he say this?
He said it in his after practice presser. He only said they are going to have 8OL active for preseason and Ben Powers is likely the guy who's going to be the emergency C.

I was extrapolating from that they really trust/like Powers. And if he makes the team, it's likely one of the other two Guards has to lose out.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Absolutely no talk of Tylan Wallace at all. Neither by reporters or people like Tee Martin. Just silence.

We even hear about Moore and Victor. Ffs we here about Makai Polk and Slade Bolden even. Shemar Bridges.... Nothing from Wallace.

Last edited:

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
certainly could be - there's no reason why he'd be the backup C in preseason if he was the clear starter at LG - if it was that clear, he'd play a couple of drives at LG and then we wouldnt see him the rest of the game and they'd just let Colon take almost all the reps at C and have phillips and cleveland as the 2 Gs for the vast majority

and there's still that 2m saving we get from getting rid of him
I mean, maybe. Again, who's the backup Center though? We know Linderbaum isn't going to play, and if they don't view Mekari as an actual Center backup, then who is it? It's not like we're going 4-5 deep at that position to begin with.

I'm not saying they're not pumping Powers up for a trade, because maybe they are. I just would think we haven't seen nearly enough from Phillips or Cleveland, this early, to be like "yeah, we're good at LG with either one of those guys".

It COULD be a numbers game eventually. If they think or want to keep James, for example, then one of Powers, Phillips, or Cleveland becomes likely expendable. That means trading Powers makes some sense.

But again, if Mekari isn't being viewed as even the backup Center, which it sort of feels like he's not, then you really have nobody behind Linberbaum. Maybe Mekari is the emergency C and if Linderbaum gets hurt maybe TCC is on PS again and he's a call up, but that presumes that he can pass through waivers and make it to the PS to begin with, or that he doesn't make the 53. Tough to see how he does right now anyway.

I can foresee a possibility where they want Powers to get reps at C as either the backup or #3, which makes his roster spot more appealing to us vs somebody else. Maybe he makes the team with more positional versatility, even if he doesn't win the starting job.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Bowser is 7 months to the day post surgery, this up coming Sunday. You'd have to expect he's practicing soon??? I'm sure Harbs is just being cautious with him as you've seen him be with literally everyone this year, but the OLB depth is actually nonexistent right now. If Bowser can be out there, it would be nice to SLOWLY start reincorporatung him.

Simba

Staff Member
Bowser is 7 months to the day post surgery, this up coming Sunday. You'd have to expect he's practicing soon??? I'm sure Harbs is just being cautious with him as you've seen him be with literally everyone this year, but the OLB depth is actually nonexistent right now. If Bowser can be out there, it would be nice to SLOWLY start reincorporatung him.
Nothing concrete, but sounds like all but Dobbins (being reevaluated for a potential activation Monday) and Edwards (likely not going to be ready for week 1) could be practicing in the next week or two. Sounds like the plan has always been mid-late August to start working them back in.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Nothing concrete, but sounds like all but Dobbins (being reevaluated for a potential activation Monday) and Edwards (likely not going to be ready for week 1) could be practicing in the next week or two. Sounds like the plan has always been mid-late August to start working them back in.
That would be great. I hope Gus is ok. It's weird that Dobbins was supposed to have had the worse injury but is feeling better, sooner. Gus is so important to our team, I hope he does not have to miss too much time.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
That would be great. I hope Gus is ok. It's weird that Dobbins was supposed to have had the worse injury but is feeling better, sooner. Gus is so important to our team, I hope he does not have to miss too much time.
Was it worse? I know Dobbins only tore his acl. I'm not sure if this is true for Gus Edwards.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
thanks, wasn't aware of that.

Guess he's just a quicker healer, which doesn't surprise me, tbh.
Think its also just a reminder to everybody that there's no set timelines for any of these things. Very few injuries are identical to others, and recovery timelines vary a lot in many cases.

Like somebody mentioned Bowser above. To be honest, I never expected him to play this year at all, and anything he gave us was a bonus in my eyes. Same with Ojabo. I understand people are saying they're recovering quickly, and I'm sure they are, but I would consider returning 11-12 months from an achilles tear to be "quick", considering there's plenty of pro athletes that have taken that long or even longer.

I'll be the first to say I was disappointed that guys like Peters, Edwards and Dobbins opened up on PUP, mostly because they're a good like 11 months removed from their injuries, so I thought they'd be practicing. But just further validation that there's no definitive timeline for any of this stuff.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Think its also just a reminder to everybody that there's no set timelines for any of these things. Very few injuries are identical to others, and recovery timelines vary a lot in many cases.

Like somebody mentioned Bowser above. To be honest, I never expected him to play this year at all, and anything he gave us was a bonus in my eyes. Same with Ojabo. I understand people are saying they're recovering quickly, and I'm sure they are, but I would consider returning 11-12 months from an achilles tear to be "quick", considering there's plenty of pro athletes that have taken that long or even longer.

I'll be the first to say I was disappointed that guys like Peters, Edwards and Dobbins opened up on PUP, mostly because they're a good like 11 months removed from their injuries, so I thought they'd be practicing. But just further validation that there's no definitive timeline for any of this stuff.
regarding Bowser, since his injury happened in the final game, I expected him to be playing in October, but slowly brining him on. That being said it absolutely can be 6 to 12 month recover time, even longer. This depends on how invasive the surgery.

The less invasive the quicker the healing time and many athletes have a less invasive surgery. There used to be only one method in repairing an achilles tendon and that was with a 12 cm incision, thus the healing time was much longer. Now the less intrusive surgery is a 3 cm incision and two smaller incisions on the back of the heel to reattach the tendon to the heel bone.

If Bowser has the traditional surgery than I doubt he plays this season, if he had the less extensive surgery, than I believe he will play this season, which is why I estimated October.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I the LFW, Zriebec says both Duvernay and Wallace are stock down. Jaylon Moore is stock up.

If you recall, I posted that Lamar said his favorite person to talk to on the team is Jaylon because he's so funny. That certainly doesn't make him a good football player, but it was interesting that Lamar interacts with him enough to have immediately thought about him. He's been around for a few years and actually has deep ball speed. If Will Fuller isn't brought in before week 1, I'm expecting Moore to make the team as WR5.