• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2022 Offseason Thread

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
for what it's worth, zrebiec thinks they want to keep 10 OL and in that case it's probably a straight-up fight between cleveland and colon for that last spot

im not sure i see how they keep 10 necessarily but if they do that might be his ticket onto the roster given the level of performance so far
You keep 10 by only keeping 4 WRs.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
You keep 10 by only keeping 4 WRs.

i just worked out how it works
you keep 10 by only keeping 4 OLBs, by sending Kolar to short-term i/r (makes the initial 53) and by leaving Gus on PUP where it's starting to sound like he may be a long way off being back anytime soon... still get to keep 5 WRs this way - as much as im not sure there are 5 WRs worth keeping right now, i just dont see any way that we enter the season without 5

on the plus side with PUP - sounds like Ronnie, Tyus and Peters are all still on schedule and if that does happen to be the case (i.e. where they get the 2-3 week ramp up period that Harbs would ideally want) then we should see them coming off PUP sometime before the commanders game in preseason week 3

Simba

Staff Member
im pretty convinced that it's not mekari
i think the ravens are probably ok with powers at LG but maybe internally hoping Tyre steps it up and takes it from him (like he did last year)

it's still disappointing that with 2 3rds and a 4th from 3 straight drafts from 2019-2021 that still not one of them has become entrenched as the starter... then again powers has started a lot of games the last 2 years so it probably should be fair to say he's the incumbent despite not winning the start during the offseason once the last 3 years
I'd probably feel a little better about Powers over Mekari if there wasn't a cost element to it. Not that it's undoable by any means. But as you alluded to, Powers has just kind of fell into that role the last couple of years. I think it's clear they've never really wanted him to have the role. So if there's a savings, maybe...

Just not entirely convinced. Still have to believe Powers is somewhat of the favorite as of now but just a gut feeling that it could change quickly. Not that I think Colon is anything super special but there's a part of me that also feels like they may prioritize keeping him over a Powers or even a Cleveland at this point.

Regardless, just not a good sign that we're having the same conversation yet again.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'd probably feel a little better about Powers over Mekari if there wasn't a cost element to it. Not that it's undoable by any means. But as you alluded to, Powers has just kind of fell into that role the last couple of years. I think it's clear they've never really wanted him to have the role. So if there's a savings, maybe...

Just not entirely convinced. Still have to believe Powers is somewhat of the favorite as of now but just a gut feeling that it could change quickly. Not that I think Colon is anything super special but there's a part of me that also feels like they may prioritize keeping him over a Powers or even a Cleveland at this point.

Regardless, just not a good sign that we're having the same conversation yet again.

i just think they're not gonna get rid of him for 2m in savings if he's the clear winner
just like i don't see them getting rid of ja'wuan james for those savings if they think he can actually play LT (especially with Ronnie still not off PUP)

if cleveland or tyre had clearly won the job i think powers would be gone either by trade or by cut and we'd be happy - he still might go by trade but i don't think they'll cut him with how cleveland's offseason has gone

colon is definitely aided in this conversation by Linderbaum's injury

Simba

Staff Member
i just think they're not gonna get rid of him for 2m in savings if he's the clear winner
just like i don't see them getting rid of ja'wuan james for those savings if they think he can actually play LT (especially with Ronnie still not off PUP)

if cleveland or tyre had clearly won the job i think powers would be gone either by trade or by cut and we'd be happy - he still might go by trade but i don't think they'll cut him with how cleveland's offseason has gone

colon is definitely aided in this conversation by Linderbaum's injury
Now, if he's a clear winner, sure, it makes sense. I just have a hard time he's a "winner" if he just kind of gets the job by default again. I feel like that's kind of why they signed Mekari in the first place - to be that fallback anywhere he's needed.

Again, still think all of those in the LG competition are the favorites for lack of a better word, but still wouldn't shock me if Mekari is out there week 1.

Now, if he's a clear winner, sure, it makes sense. I just have a hard time he's a "winner" if he just kind of gets the job by default again. I feel like that's kind of why they signed Mekari in the first place - to be that fallback anywhere he's needed.

Again, still think all of those in the LG competition are the favorites for lack of a better word, but still wouldn't shock me if Mekari is out there week 1.
Winner by default still means they think he is better than all the other options so I don't think the savings justify not keeping him. They definitely signed Mekari for his versatility as a back up.

Simba

Staff Member
Winner by default still means they think he is better than all the other options so I don't think the savings justify not keeping him. They definitely signed Mekari for his versatility as a back up.
But also the guy that can slot in where needed, and if he's needed at LG...

I want to be clear that this is worst case scenario (sans health) so I'm not rooting for Mekari to be out there by any means. I can just envision a scenario where he is because these other 3 just can't seem to step up and actually win the job.

But also the guy that can slot in where needed, and if he's needed at LG...

I want to be clear that this is worst case scenario (sans health) so I'm not rooting for Mekari to be out there by any means. I can just envision a scenario where he is because these other 3 just can't seem to step up and actually win the job.
The issue is you lose the versatile back up by doing that.

Simba

Staff Member
The issue is you lose the versatile back up by doing that.
But what’s the point of having him if you don’t play him? It’s great to be a backup but they’re paying him anticipating he’ll have to slot in somewhere at some point. It very well could be LG and not for the reasons we thought.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So I guess given we're talking about it i should throw in what i think happens with the 53 before we see stuff change in preseason:

QB (2):
In: Lamar Jackson, Tyler Huntley
Just Missed:
Out: Brett Hundley, Anthony Brown

nothing of note to say here

RB (4 +1):
In: JK Dobbins, Tyler Badie, Mike Davis, Justice Hill, Pat Ricard (FB)
Just Missed: Gus Edwards (PUP), Corey Clement
Out: Nate McCrary, Ben Mason (FB)

From comments from Harbs today, it feels like Gus may be staying on PUP. JK's got 4 and a bit weeks to help his conditioning and get back in football shape but even so I imagine he won't get a full workload straight away. Justice Hill was probably odd man out for a lot of people a few months ago but the speed of his recovery vs the slowness of Dobbins and Gus getting back, his special teams prowess and then the way he has apparently stood out at practice the last 2 weeks may well have tipped him back onto the 53... and maybe even ahead of Davis who I've never been a huge fan of - classic journeyman type who's had his career extended by a great season in Mccaffrey's absence in 2020.

TE (3):
In: Mark Andrews, Nick Boyle, Isaiah Likely
Just Missed: Charlie Kolar (IR)
Out: Josh Oliver

May have to be some roster shenanigans somewhere else on the roster (or we just cut someone and hope we get them back) to get Kolar onto the short-term I/R for the season

WR (5):
In: Rashod Bateman, James Proche, Devin Duvernay, Tylan Wallace, Jaylon Moore
Just Missed: Binjimen Victor
Out: Shemar Bridges, Slade Bolden, Bailey Gaither, Devon Williams

We're keeping 5 WRs, i still feel like the 5th guy is gonna come from another team or free agency but for now it would seem like Moore's got the inside track - he's got probably the best chance he may ever get to stick here if he plays special teams. Also helps that he may have replaced Hollywood as Lamar's boy off the field a bit.

OL (10):
In: Ronnie Stanley, Morgan Moses, Kevin Zeitler, Tyler Linderbaum, Pat Mekari, Daniel Faalele, Ben Powers, Tyre Phillips, Ju'Wuan James, Ben Cleveland
Just Missed: Trystan Colon
Out: Jaryd Jones-Smith, David Sharpe, Kahlil McKenzie

Ben Cleveland makes it in this scenario as the last guy in but if Linderbaum's foot injury lingers a little and if Cleveland makes no progress like he seemingly hasn't then I think you might be able to just straight swap him and Colon...

DL (6):
In: Calais Campbell, Justin Madubuike, Michael Pierce, Travis Jones, Broderick Washington, Brent Urban
Just Missed: Isaiah Mack
Out: Aaron Crawford

I like Mack, but not enough to knock Urban out of the competition (especially with his kick blocking prowess) and no way we're keeping 7 DL but if we can keep him around on the PS that would be ideal.

EDGE (4):
In: Odafe Oweh, Justin Houston, Tyus Bowser, Daelin Hayes
Just Missed: David Ojabo (PUP), Steven Means
Out: Jeremiah Moon

Sounds like Means is the favourite if the Ravens keep 5 OLBs at this point which they might if Bowser's return is delayed in some fashion - or even if it isn't. Feels like this group after the Biegel injury, could do with an addition just to bolster the group. Hayes has had a quiet training camp compared to his rookie year. Could do with popping off in the preseason to ease some concerns about the depth of this group and the reliance on Bowser's return.

ILB (4):
In: Patrick Queen, Josh Bynes, Kristian Welch, Malik Harrison
Just Missed: Zakoby McClain
Out: Josh Ross, Diego Fagot

No one's really stood out of the udfa LB corps this camp. McClain gets the edge over his 2 peers as the best of the bunch but not enough to make this roster. It's possible one of them could come out of nowhere, dominate on special teams, and find their way onto the roster. Harrison would be in more danger in a better group. Would certainly not be opposed to another veteran being added here. I wonder if LJ Fort rejoins the roster when his recovery is finished (if it's not already).

CB (6):
In: Marlon Humphrey, Marcus Peters, Brandon Stephens, Jalyn Armour-Davis, Pepe Williams, Kyle Fuller
Just Missed: Ar'Darius Washington (PUP), Kevon Seymour
Out: Robert Jackson, David Vereen, Denzel Williams

Kyle Fuller ultimately still makes it despite a rough training camp. Ravens can never have too many corners. Washington's injury helps him stick longer and maybe arrives as a reinforcement later in the year off PUP if we run into any injuries/issues. Possible Kevon Seymour makes it on special teams but would be hard to stomach after he spent all of training camp getting roasted.

S (5):
In: Marcus Williams, Kyle Hamilton, Chuck Clark, Geno Stone, Tony Jefferson
Just Missed:
Out:

Everyone makes it. TJ may be the guy who enables us to get Kolar on the 53 so we can short-term I/R him.

ST (3):
In: Justin Tucker, Nick Moore, Jordan Stout...

Feels like, with no reinforcements from outside the building at ILB, OLB or WR that the roster is pretty easy to set right now with Gus and Ojabo staying on PUP and with Kolar making the initial 53 and then going on I/R... feels like the only difficult cut may well be the guy who ends up back on the 53 as long as he clears waivers.

In this go-round it felt like there were 3 guys competing for the last spot on the 53: Ben Cleveland, Trystan Colon and Steven Means

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i get what you're saying
but it would 100% shock me to see him get the start week 1 - and if he does then i think it's 100% guaranteed that colon is in and either powers or cleveland are out

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
So I guess given we're talking about it i should throw in what i think happens with the 53 before we see stuff change in preseason:

QB (2):
In: Lamar Jackson, Tyler Huntley
Just Missed:
Out: Brett Hundley, Anthony Brown

nothing of note to say here

RB (4 +1):
In: JK Dobbins, Tyler Badie, Mike Davis, Justice Hill, Pat Ricard (FB)
Just Missed: Gus Edwards (PUP), Corey Clement
Out: Nate McCrary, Ben Mason (FB)

From comments from Harbs today, it feels like Gus may be staying on PUP. JK's got 4 and a bit weeks to help his conditioning and get back in football shape but even so I imagine he won't get a full workload straight away. Justice Hill was probably odd man out for a lot of people a few months ago but the speed of his recovery vs the slowness of Dobbins and Gus getting back, his special teams prowess and then the way he has apparently stood out at practice the last 2 weeks may well have tipped him back onto the 53... and maybe even ahead of Davis who I've never been a huge fan of - classic journeyman type who's had his career extended by a great season in Mccaffrey's absence in 2020.

TE (3):
In: Mark Andrews, Nick Boyle, Isaiah Likely
Just Missed: Charlie Kolar (IR)
Out: Josh Oliver

May have to be some roster shenanigans somewhere else on the roster (or we just cut someone and hope we get them back) to get Kolar onto the short-term I/R for the season

WR (5):
In: Rashod Bateman, James Proche, Devin Duvernay, Tylan Wallace, Jaylon Moore
Just Missed: Binjimen Victor
Out: Shemar Bridges, Slade Bolden, Bailey Gaither, Devon Williams

We're keeping 5 WRs, i still feel like the 5th guy is gonna come from another team or free agency but for now it would seem like Moore's got the inside track - he's got probably the best chance he may ever get to stick here if he plays special teams. Also helps that he may have replaced Hollywood as Lamar's boy off the field a bit.

OL (10):
In: Ronnie Stanley, Morgan Moses, Kevin Zeitler, Tyler Linderbaum, Pat Mekari, Daniel Faalele, Ben Powers, Tyre Phillips, Ju'Wuan James, Ben Cleveland
Just Missed: Trystan Colon
Out: Jaryd Jones-Smith, David Sharpe, Kahlil McKenzie

Ben Cleveland makes it in this scenario as the last guy in but if Linderbaum's foot injury lingers a little and if Cleveland makes no progress like he seemingly hasn't then I think you might be able to just straight swap him and Colon...

DL (6):
In: Calais Campbell, Justin Madubuike, Michael Pierce, Travis Jones, Broderick Washington, Brent Urban
Just Missed: Isaiah Mack
Out: Aaron Crawford

I like Mack, but not enough to knock Urban out of the competition (especially with his kick blocking prowess) and no way we're keeping 7 DL but if we can keep him around on the PS that would be ideal.

EDGE (4):
In: Odafe Oweh, Justin Houston, Tyus Bowser, Daelin Hayes
Just Missed: David Ojabo (PUP), Steven Means
Out: Jeremiah Moon

Sounds like Means is the favourite if the Ravens keep 5 OLBs at this point which they might if Bowser's return is delayed in some fashion - or even if it isn't. Feels like this group after the Biegel injury, could do with an addition just to bolster the group. Hayes has had a quiet training camp compared to his rookie year. Could do with popping off in the preseason to ease some concerns about the depth of this group and the reliance on Bowser's return.

ILB (4):
In: Patrick Queen, Josh Bynes, Kristian Welch, Malik Harrison
Just Missed: Zakoby McClain
Out: Josh Ross, Diego Fagot

No one's really stood out of the udfa LB corps this camp. McClain gets the edge over his 2 peers as the best of the bunch but not enough to make this roster. It's possible one of them could come out of nowhere, dominate on special teams, and find their way onto the roster. Harrison would be in more danger in a better group. Would certainly not be opposed to another veteran being added here. I wonder if LJ Fort rejoins the roster when his recovery is finished (if it's not already).

CB (6):
In: Marlon Humphrey, Marcus Peters, Brandon Stephens, Jalyn Armour-Davis, Pepe Williams, Kyle Fuller
Just Missed: Ar'Darius Washington (PUP), Kevon Seymour
Out: Robert Jackson, David Vereen, Denzel Williams

Kyle Fuller ultimately still makes it despite a rough training camp. Ravens can never have too many corners. Washington's injury helps him stick longer and maybe arrives as a reinforcement later in the year off PUP if we run into any injuries/issues. Possible Kevon Seymour makes it on special teams but would be hard to stomach after he spent all of training camp getting roasted.

S (5):
In: Marcus Williams, Kyle Hamilton, Chuck Clark, Geno Stone, Tony Jefferson
Just Missed:
Out:

Everyone makes it. TJ may be the guy who enables us to get Kolar on the 53 so we can short-term I/R him.

ST (3):
In: Justin Tucker, Nick Moore, Jordan Stout...

Feels like, with no reinforcements from outside the building at ILB, OLB or WR that the roster is pretty easy to set right now with Gus and Ojabo staying on PUP and with Kolar making the initial 53 and then going on I/R... feels like the only difficult cut may well be the guy who ends up back on the 53 as long as he clears waivers.

In this go-round it felt like there were 3 guys competing for the last spot on the 53: Ben Cleveland, Trystan Colon and Steven Means
This feels right. Jaylon Moore could actually be that guy they cut for Kolar just to bring back.

When Gus comes back it's obvious a RB will be replaced.

When Kolar comes back if there are no injuries it is not at all obvious who gets replaced. You'd think the OL, but not obvious which guy.

When Ojabo comes back it becomes doubly hard to figure out who gets replaced without injuries.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Really the big two for me are Rashod and Oweh. Both of last years first round picks. We're gonna be relying very heavily on these two. Can we afford to hold both of them out of these preseason games?

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Really the big two for me are Rashod and Oweh. Both of last years first round picks. We're gonna be relying very heavily on these two. Can we afford to hold both of them out of these preseason games?
Your question contradicts the statement from a preceding sentence.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Your question contradicts the statement from a preceding sentence.
I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from. These two are young players that are slotted for big roles this season. They're young and one is in a new system and the other is now WR1. Ideally you would love for them to get some game action in the preseason. However, we know that you can lose guys for the year to injury that way. Given the whole revamping process to avoid injuries, can we afford to play those two in preseason games given the nature that they are going to be focal points at our weakest positions?

Simba

Staff Member
I still think he's very much on the outside looking in, but the Kevon Seymour stuff is hilarious. He's repeatedly the victim in videos but I've been reading some of the TC reports/roster battle articles and I've yet to see one that doesn't say he's had a good camp so far and has put himself in the conversation. Seems like he's just lost the wrong battles and they're on video lol

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Can we afford to hold both of them out of these preseason games?I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from. These two are young players that are slotted for big roles this season. They're young and one is in a new system and the other is now WR1. Ideally you would love for them to get some game action in the preseason. However, we know that you can lose guys for the year to injury that way. Given the whole revamping process to avoid injuries, can we afford to play those two in preseason games given the nature that they are going to be focal points at our weakest positions?

First you asked

Can we afford to hold both of them out of these preseason games?

Now you are asking

can we afford to play those two in preseason games given the nature that they are going to be focal points at our weakest positions?

Which one is it?

I want them out until the Jets game. They have nothing to gain by playing in preseason.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
First you asked

Now you are asking

Which one is it?

I want them out until the Jets game. They have nothing to gain by playing in preseason.
I'm still confused. These are exactly the same question. The question is should you play these two in the preseason? I think the answer after last year is no. If they get hurt come week 1 so be it.