• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2022 Offseason Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Also in Lamar's interview with Washburn when talking about the WRs he says they're all young but dogs.

Then says immediately Bate, Proche, um Duv, um Jalyon, Vic, pause Tylan.

It's these little things that keep recurring throughout the off season. I really think Bateman and Proche are WR1 and WR2 right now. I know this sounds crazy but I think Lamar really really really likes Jaylon Moore. So where maybe the team thinks he's WR5, I think Lamar thinks he's ahead of at least Tylan and possibly even Duvernay.

idk if lamar thinks jaylon's necessarily ahead of some guys in actual footballing terms but he's definitely a guy he likes off the ball a lot
again though... he's gonna have to make the team on special teams because tylan wallace is making this team on special teams regardless of his position on the WR depth chart

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm thinking with just how stout our DL and Secondary look, that Oweh and Houston are going to have really solid years rushing the passer. Would be incredible to see Bowser continue to improve and if we get anything positive out of Daelin or David, that would also be awesome. As a whole the defense should be really good.

On offense, the running game, the OL, and TEs should be really strong. The question I think will really come down to can someone between Bateman, Duvernay, Jaylon Moore become a somewhat consistent deep threat that makes teams have to respect a vertical passing game. If so, I believe people like Andrews, Likely, and Proche will feast in the middle of the field.

im so excited about oweh... maybe even more than im excited about bateman

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I feel really confident with proche as my #2 wr going into the year and really like him- but part of me knows we definitely need another. It sucks though cuz I don’t want variable wr to take proches snaps or targets which he obviously would

But scary Imo we can 1 injury away from starting wrs that rival our 2017 matchup against the Vikings

im definitely fine with proche as someone who takes a bunch of snaps as a WR2 but i'd feel a lot more comfortable if there was another guy on the roster i was also comfortable with as a WR2/3... duvernay's not that guy for me from what i've seen and tylan's clearly not had the sophomore jump we might have hoped for

id still feel so much more comfortable in the corps if we found a way to add someone like will fuller...

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Watched some of david obajo again… is that mf really this good? I mean its no coincidence hutchinson had his best season with obajo breaking out but dam this mf look explosive

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Watched some of david obajo again… is that mf really this good? I mean its no coincidence hutchinson had his best season with obajo breaking out but dam this mf look explosive

we'll see how effective he is in year 1 coming off the achilles because so much of his game is predicated on explosion but he could be electric yeah - he's not all there as a run defender right now but that won't matter so much in year 1 coming off no training camp... he's got great intuitive feel with his hands, started putting more and more moves together, is explosive and long and bends well

has a lot of traits that project well as a pass rusher especially if he's allowed to just attack the tackle off the edge

and most excitingly in terms of projecting for a guy so new to the game... he got better as the season went on and was best later in games too

you are right to be excited as long as the achilles recovery goes well now that he's starting to be able to do some stuff to rebuild his lower half

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Na... Oweh is my guy. You stick to Justin.

Seriously though think this change in DC will do him and the DL wonders.

we'll have to see how much is actually different in the front 7 schematically and play-call wise but i certainly think that macdonald has shown an ability to help 2 edge rushers massively improve their draft stock in 1 season as a DC because he put them in good positions to show themselves off

and don't worry - im not gonna claim oweh as "my guy" but doesnt mean i wont be pumped about his progress

rossihunter2

Staff Member
@UPennChem
re jaylon moore (and others) from zrebiec's most recent article...

This competition really hasn’t heated up, primarily because none of the team’s five undrafted free agents have made a push. Bridges got off to a strong start, but he’s struggled in recent practices. Bolden, Gaither and Williams are all dealing with physical issues. Wallace, meanwhile, was pretty much viewed as a lock for that fourth wide receiver spot behind Rashod Bateman, James Proche and Devin Duvernay, but he’s not distinguished himself in camp. Moore has and he’s made a very strong roster case. He’s probably been the third most productive receiver in practices behind Bateman and Proche. Victor has had his moments, too. There’s a chance that the Ravens could keep just four receivers and use tight end Isaiah Likely as a receiver, but the former is not ideal. The Ravens really need some of their young receivers to emerge in the preseason to force them to make some tough decisions.

not heard of moore getting a ton of 1s reps (from what i've seen/read it's been mostly bate, proche and duv getting the 1s reps in 11 personnel with wallace next guy up when duv went down)... so take with a pinch of salt that production part because it may be happening mostly on the 2s offence but... definitely notable that he's out-produced all bar 2 guys on the roster right now - i still think he'll need to play special teams and have a super-productive preseason to make it but seems more likely than it did before training camp started

rossihunter2

Staff Member
one of my biggest questions about tomorrow night is gonna be how much ben powers plays... how much he plays is gonna be very telling in how the LG battle is going

if he plays a lot it may well still be wide open with Tyre but if he doesnt play that much at LG then i think it may be over

cleveland has apparently not impressed since passing the conditioning test and i really do wonder if he's in real jeopardy at this point as a guard only backup

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
@UPennChem
re jaylon moore (and others) from zrebiec's most recent article...

This competition really hasn’t heated up, primarily because none of the team’s five undrafted free agents have made a push. Bridges got off to a strong start, but he’s struggled in recent practices. Bolden, Gaither and Williams are all dealing with physical issues. Wallace, meanwhile, was pretty much viewed as a lock for that fourth wide receiver spot behind Rashod Bateman, James Proche and Devin Duvernay, but he’s not distinguished himself in camp. Moore has and he’s made a very strong roster case. He’s probably been the third most productive receiver in practices behind Bateman and Proche. Victor has had his moments, too. There’s a chance that the Ravens could keep just four receivers and use tight end Isaiah Likely as a receiver, but the former is not ideal. The Ravens really need some of their young receivers to emerge in the preseason to force them to make some tough decisions.

not heard of moore getting a ton of 1s reps (from what i've seen/read it's been mostly bate, proche and duv getting the 1s reps in 11 personnel with wallace next guy up when duv went down)... so take with a pinch of salt that production part because it may be happening mostly on the 2s offence but... definitely notable that he's out-produced all bar 2 guys on the roster right now - i still think he'll need to play special teams and have a super-productive preseason to make it but seems more likely than it did before training camp started
Yeah I personally think this race is only between Moore, Victor, and Will Fuller/OBJ. I agree with you that the preseason will be important, but we've already seen Moore and Victor in the preseason. Moore always looks good. Victor kinda average. So I think that's going to help him quite a bit. But the most important thing I think will be as you say, Moores ability to play STs.

If he can be a nonliability on STs then I'm fairly certain outside of bringing in Fuller that anyone displaces Moore. And I'd honestly be all for it. I think he has some real stretch the field speed .

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
one of my biggest questions about tomorrow night is gonna be how much ben powers plays... how much he plays is gonna be very telling in how the LG battle is going

if he plays a lot it may well still be wide open with Tyre but if he doesnt play that much at LG then i think it may be over

cleveland has apparently not impressed since passing the conditioning test and i really do wonder if he's in real jeopardy at this point as a guard only backup
I'm gonna be pissed when he gets cut

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah I personally think this race is only between Moore, Victor, and Will Fuller/OBJ. I agree with you that the preseason will be important, but we've already seen Moore and Victor in the preseason. Moore always looks good. Victor kinda average. So I think that's going to help him quite a bit. But the most important thing I think will be as you say, Moores ability to play STs.

If he can be a nonliability on STs then I'm fairly certain outside of bringing in Fuller that anyone displaces Moore. And I'd honestly be all for it. I think he has some real stretch the field speed .

it's boring and not many people like doing it - but working out the starting personnel on punt units for the preseason games can tell you a lot about who's making the team and who's not (i say working out because we dont have the all-22 to make it easy)

Simba

Staff Member
LG is sad because we've had 3 guys (Phillips, Powers, and Cleveland) fighting for that spot over the last 2-3 years and not one of them has yet to distinguish themselves. I'm still not entirely unconvinced that Mekari isn't the week 1 starter there.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
LG is sad because we've had 3 guys (Phillips, Powers, and Cleveland) fighting for that spot over the last 2-3 years and not one of them has yet to distinguish themselves. I'm still not entirely unconvinced that Mekari isn't the week 1 starter there.

im pretty convinced that it's not mekari
i think the ravens are probably ok with powers at LG but maybe internally hoping Tyre steps it up and takes it from him (like he did last year)

it's still disappointing that with 2 3rds and a 4th from 3 straight drafts from 2019-2021 that still not one of them has become entrenched as the starter... then again powers has started a lot of games the last 2 years so it probably should be fair to say he's the incumbent despite not winning the start during the offseason once the last 3 years