• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2022 Offseason Thread

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Why would you not keep 4 RBs right now? Dobbins may or may not be full go and if something happens, we’re in the same situation we were last year. I think it’s almost a given that we’re starting with 4. And it’s not hard to do it either
I mean, if he's not a full-go, I would think he should still be able to handle like 8-10 reps a game. That means you still have Davis and Badie to be the other ball carriers. If I'm keeping Hill, what role does he have an offense? Maybe he's a pass catching back, but I'm seen quite a bit of good thinks from Badie in pass protection, so I'm thinking that's probably his role.

So for me, if you're keeping Hill, he's basically just a ST player. Probably a good one, but my thought is you can probably find pretty good ST players at other positions that offer more in terms of positional depth than he does.

Or, put another way... how many RBs are active on gameday? You think all five, including Ricard, are? I'd say that's super unlikely. So am I just carrying Hill or Badie as a gameday inactive?

If Dobbins gets hurt again, we're already in the same situation we were in last year. That's arrived already. We basically swapped Murray for Mike Davis, and added a late round rookie. Nothing else has changed. Hill isn't a difference maker as a RB, and I'm not sure he's an upgrade over anybody we had last year either.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I mean, if he's not a full-go, I would think he should still be able to handle like 8-10 reps a game. That means you still have Davis and Badie to be the other ball carriers. If I'm keeping Hill, what role does he have an offense? Maybe he's a pass catching back, but I'm seen quite a bit of good thinks from Badie in pass protection, so I'm thinking that's probably his role.

So for me, if you're keeping Hill, he's basically just a ST player. Probably a good one, but my thought is you can probably find pretty good ST players at other positions that offer more in terms of positional depth than he does.

Or, put another way... how many RBs are active on gameday? You think all five, including Ricard, are? I'd say that's super unlikely. So am I just carrying Hill or Badie as a gameday inactive?

If Dobbins gets hurt again, we're already in the same situation we were in last year. That's arrived already. We basically swapped Murray for Mike Davis, and added a late round rookie. Nothing else has changed. Hill isn't a difference maker as a RB, and I'm not sure he's an upgrade over anybody we had last year either.
This all is going to depend on the health of Dobbins. If he's not going on IR, which I don't think he will, then I think the team has to choose between Davis and Hill and we know they're gonna choose Davis

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
I can't say who would be out, but from this breakdown, I don't see a) us keeping 5 RBs (including Ricard), b) us keeping 5 ILBs and c) us keeping 5 safeties.
Agree that it might end up that way, but only after guys like Ojabo and Kolar probably going to IR. I'm not entirely sold that TJ makes this team at all, but I could be wrong. He's pretty clearly the 5th safety, which makes him basically just a ST player. Obviously love the guy, but I suspect he gets cut and maybe the Ravens give him a chance to get a better spot elsewhere. Maybe he's a guy that's brought back quickly, I don't know.

I'd be pretty surprised to see 4 RBs though, 5 if you include Ricard. I know Hill has gotten a lot of love this offseason, but I think he'll be gone.

Also could be wrong about this, and I don't feel like looking it up at the moment, but feels like our "norm" is 5 Dlineman. Could be because we've not had this much talent and arguably depth there in awhile, but 6 seems pretty heavy there as well. Would think either Urban or Washington is the odd man out there. Also a tough spot, because Jones figures to miss probably the first week or two, but I guess unlikely to start on IR, so you'll probably need a PS call up to fill his spot for first couple weeks.
I agree about the RB’s. I was really excited to see Hill back, but watching him in preseason, I am more impressed with Badie.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I agree about the RB’s. I was really excited to see Hill back, but watching him in preseason, I am more impressed with Badie.
I would be highly, highly disappointed if they opted to keep Hill over Badie. I know Hill has impressed some in camp, but honestly, I wrote him off a long time ago and am kind of surprised he's still on the roster. Somewhat trivial, but there's also $1M in cap savings to be had by getting rid of Hill.

If they still view him as a core ST player, so be it. Then he stays. I'm just guessing that's not the case, based on no real data whatsoever. If you were banking on him being a factor, then I don't know why you drafted Badie.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
This all is going to depend on the health of Dobbins. If he's not going on IR, which I don't think he will, then I think the team has to choose between Davis and Hill and we know they're gonna choose Davis
If Dobbins is going to IR, which I think only happens if he suffers a setback, then I think they'll sign a veteran and maybe still ditch Hill anyway. I just don't know that they view Hill as anything other than a ST player.

Simba

Staff Member

It's not just about the gameday situation here. It's long term. If Dobbins gets out there and realizes quickly that he's not where he needs to be (see Ronnie Stanley last year), then we're going to need another RB. And for as much shit as Justice Hill takes, he's reportedly done really well this camp and is clearly ahead of Badie right now. Basically, they don't want to be caught with their pants down and it's not hard to fudge the roster numbers a bit nowadays. It's super easy to keep 4 RBs and I'd quite frankly be surprised if they didn't. They could certainly still look for an upgrade of course, but doesn't change the numbers in my opinion.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I would be highly, highly disappointed if they opted to keep Hill over Badie. I know Hill has impressed some in camp, but honestly, I wrote him off a long time ago and am kind of surprised he's still on the roster. Somewhat trivial, but there's also $1M in cap savings to be had by getting rid of Hill.

If they still view him as a core ST player, so be it. Then he stays. I'm just guessing that's not the case, based on no real data whatsoever. If you were banking on him being a factor, then I don't know why you drafted Badie.
they aren't keeping Hill over Badie. That won't happen, so it will come down to keeping four rb or cutting Hill and only keeping three. I think we go with four RB.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
QB
Lamar, Snoop

RB
Dobbins, Davis, Hill, Badie

FB
Ricard

WR
Bate, Proche, Duv, DRob, Tylan

TE
Mark, Boyle, Likely, Kolar

OL
Stanley, James, Powers, Tyree, Linderbaum, Mekari, Zeitler, Cleveland, Moses, Faalele

26 on offense with Kolar immediately going to IR

DL
Calais, Pierce, Madabuike, Urban, Jones, Washington

OLB
Houston, Oweh, Hayes, Bowser, Ojabo

ILB
Bynes, Queen, Harrison, Welch, Ross

CB
Marlon, Marcus, Stephens, Fuller, JAD, Pepe

S
Williams, Chuck, Kyle, Geno, TJ

27 on defense with Ojabo going right to IR

New Wolfpack
Stout
Tuck
Moore

That means you're 3 over right here which honestly not great. You can ask TJ to wait for the spot to open, but what about your other two spots? Maybe Urban? Maybe Welch doesn't make it. Maybe Hill doesn't make it.

you didnt even include mack and crawford on DL lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Wow. Lol we got made fun of for taking the 2nd best punter first. Whose laughing now

I 100% get why they had stout rated as the number 1 punter but these allegations make it a lot clearer as to why the ravens called this a 1 punter draft (with stout the only one)

Sounds like most teams knew about all this, including the bills based on their statement in the la times article

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I 100% get why they had stout rated as the number 1 punter but these allegations make it a lot clearer as to why the ravens called this a 1 punter draft (with stout the only one)

Sounds like most teams knew about all this, including the bills based on their statement in the la times article
yep, the Bills new about this back in October 2021. Can't believe they even drafted him based on that information.