• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2022 Offseason Thread

Szn over!!
FB_IMG_1661655245709.jpg

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Mike Davis runs uninspiring to me. Wonder if there’s any potential upgrade to the RB2 there before season starts.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Mike Davis runs uninspiring to me. Wonder if there’s any potential upgrade to the RB2 there before season starts.
Running game is always underwhelming during preseason but this has been the worst I've seen it, ever.

I know play calling, O line and Lamar will make a huge difference but there were only two runs in three games worth mentioning. Aren't backs supposed to do something on their own? Wehere are Bobby Rainey and Terrance West when you need them?

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Running game is always underwhelming during preseason but this has been the worst I've seen it, ever.

I know play calling, O line and Lamar will make a huge difference but there were only two runs in three games worth mentioning. Aren't backs supposed to do something on their own? Wehere are Bobby Rainey and Terrance West when you need them?
I still think Davis is better than any of the replacements we brought in last year .

rossihunter2

Staff Member
My final attempt at the 53:

Offence (25):

QB (2):
In: Lamar Jackson, Tyler Huntley
Out: Anthony Brown

RB (4 +1):
In: JK Dobbins, Tyler Badie, Mike Davis, Justice Hill, Pat Ricard (FB)
Out: Nate McCrary, Ben Mason (FB)
Reserve: Gus Edwards (PUP)

They all make it. Justice Hill not playing last night feels like a big sign (gamebook seems to suggest he played 2 snaps but i've checked... think whoever logged the snaps mistook 2 of McCrary's snaps for him). Only question at this point would be whether the team feels it needs Mike Davis and how close JK is to full recovery.

TE (3):
In: Mark Andrews, Isaiah Likely, Nick Boyle
Out: Josh Oliver
Reserve: Charlie Kolar (I/R DTR)

Will need some roster shenanigans to get Kolar onto the short-term I/R for the season. Nick Boyle played a ton this preseason and even in game 3. The fact that Likely wasn't even dressed says a lot about how big his role may be starting from week 1.

WR (5):
In: Rashod Bateman, James Proche, Devin Duvernay, DeMarcus Robinson, Tylan Wallace
Out: Binjimen Victor, Shemar Bridges, Makai Polk, Slade Bolden

OL (10):
In: Ronnie Stanley, Ben Powers, Tyler Linderbaum, Kevin Zeitler, Morgan Moses, Pat Mekari, Ja'Wuan James, Daniel Faalele, Tyre Phillips, Ben Cleveland
Out: Trystan Colon, David Sharpe, Kahlil McKenzie, Jimmy Murray

Defence (25):

DL (6):
In: Calais Campbell, Justin Madubuike, Michael Pierce, Travis Jones, Broderick Washington, Brent Urban
Out: Isaiah Mack, Aaron Crawford

Crawford's injury, if it is serious like Harbs suggested it might be, might help him stick around to next year, Mack they have to be hoping makes it to the PS - it's just a shame for his sake that this position is so stacked with talent ahead of him and that he's not got much nose tackle value. Only question here would be if Travis Jones injury is long enough to put him on I/R and he's out 4 weeks or so (no indication that that's the case), then maybe there's a space for Mack, but right now he misses out.

EDGE (4):
In: Odafe Oweh, Justin Houston, Daelin Hayes, Steven Means
Out: Jeremiah Moon, Chuck Wiley
Reserve: Tyus Bowser (PUP), David Ojabo (NFI or I/R)

This group is so thin until Bowser and Ojabo come back. At which point it goes from thin to potentially stacked. Such an odd group whose potential outcomes have so much variance. The roster itself is pretty set at this position now. Can't help but think though that we'll be scouring the cutdown lists for someone to bolster this unit.

ILB (5):
In: Patrick Queen, Josh Bynes, Malik Harrison, Kristian Welch, Josh Ross
Out: Zakoby McClain

Josh Ross has been the surprise of the preseason. Notable that he also started on special teams last night and also played 80% of the special teams snaps. Just before half-time after a defensive stop inside the 10, Harbs specifically called Ross over to him as he came off the field and had a word with him. In that moment, part of me wondered if that was him telling him he'd made the team but that he'd still have to play the 2nd half... (idk just spit-balling).

CB (6):
In: Marlon Humphrey, Marcus Peters, Brandon Stephens, Jalyn Armour-Davis, Pepe Williams, Kyle Fuller
Out: Ar'Darius Washington, Kevon Seymour, David Vereen

There's just no space for Washington. Seymour probably still gets waived in final cutdowns despite his injury. Tough break for someone who may well have factored as a PS gameday activation kind of guy for special teams and deep deep CB depth.

S (4):
In: Marcus Williams, Chuck Clark, Kyle Hamilton, Geno Stone
Out: Tony Jefferson

Not sure TJ makes it anymore. If he does, he may well be cut to allow Ojabo/Kolar on the roster anyway. Just not sure where the spot for TJ comes from?

ST (3):
In: Justin Tucker, Nick Moore, Jordan Stout...

We're going to have to find 2 guys to let go of who we hope we get back. EDGE is thin that it feels like a risk but Steven Means might be the kind of replaceable that he's one of those types of guys. TJ's the most obvious option but I'm not sure he makes the 53 at all right now. Maybe it's Josh Ross and they hope he clears waivers. Or maybe Mike Davis just flat out doesn't make the team???

Feels like right now I've got Josh Ross, Mike Davis and Tony Jefferson fighting for 2 roster spots.

Mostly a pretty easy cutdown day with not many questions or potential surprises.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
What's going on with Mekari, @rossihunter2? I would have loved to see him take over the LG position given how shaky it's looking. Is he not playing well or is he slated as a reserve swiss-army knife O-lineman?

just dont think he's a great fit at guard - and dont think he's what they want at LG - he's a 5 position backup who they probably only want to be a 3 position backup (C and LT/RT)

Badie looked awful, vanilla run schemes, sure, but a severe lack of patience and vision I saw
One of the commentators was pointing out his lack of vision on one of the plays. Idk I don't feel good about our RBs at all. If JK struggles we going to be in same boat as last year I hope I am wrong though.
What was the longest run either RB had in the last 3 games? Maybe I'm putting to much weight on these vanilla schemes but just don't like what I saw.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
One of the commentators was pointing out his lack of vision on one of the plays. Idk I don't feel good about our RBs at all. If JK struggles we going to be in same boat as last year I hope I am wrong though.
What was the longest run either RB had in the last 3 games? Maybe I'm putting to much weight on these vanilla schemes but just don't like what I saw.
shouldn't worry about Roman's runnning schemes. He was even able to scheme up last years backs.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer

Offence (25):

QB (2):

RB (4 +1):

They all make it. Justice Hill not playing last night feels like a big sign (gamebook seems to suggest he played 2 snaps but i've checked... think whoever logged the snaps mistook 2 of McCrary's snaps for him). Only question at this point would be whether the team feels it needs Mike Davis and how close JK is to full recovery.

TE (3):

Will need some roster shenanigans to get Kolar onto the short-term I/R for the season. Nick Boyle played a ton this preseason and even in game 3. The fact that Likely wasn't even dressed says a lot about how big his role may be starting from week 1.

WR (5):
In: Rashod Bateman, James Proche, Devin Duvernay, DeMarcus Robinson, Tylan Wallace

OL (10):
In: Ronnie Stanley, Ben Powers, Tyler Linderbaum, Kevin Zeitler, Morgan Moses, Pat Mekari, Ja'Wuan James, Daniel Faalele, Tyre Phillips, Ben Cleveland

Defence (25):

DL (6):
In: Calais Campbell, Justin Madubuike, Michael Pierce, Travis Jones, Broderick Washington, Brent Urban

Crawford's injury, if it is serious like Harbs suggested it might be, might help him stick around to next year, Mack they have to be hoping makes it to the PS - it's just a shame for his sake that this position is so stacked with talent ahead of him and that he's not got much nose tackle value. Only question here would be if Travis Jones injury is long enough to put him on I/R and he's out 4 weeks or so (no indication that that's the case), then maybe there's a space for Mack, but right now he misses out.

EDGE (4):

This group is so thin until Bowser and Ojabo come back. At which point it goes from thin to potentially stacked. Such an odd group whose potential outcomes have so much variance. The roster itself is pretty set at this position now. Can't help but think though that we'll be scouring the cutdown lists for someone to bolster this unit.

ILB (5):

Josh Ross has been the surprise of the preseason. Notable that he also started on special teams last night and also played 80% of the special teams snaps. Just before half-time after a defensive stop inside the 10, Harbs specifically called Ross over to him as he came off the field and had a word with him. In that moment, part of me wondered if that was him telling him he'd made the team but that he'd still have to play the 2nd half... (idk just spit-balling).

CB (6):
In: Marlon Humphrey, Marcus Peters, Brandon Stephens, Jalyn Armour-Davis, Pepe Williams, Kyle Fuller

There's just no space for Washington. Seymour probably still gets waived in final cutdowns despite his injury. Tough break for someone who may well have factored as a PS gameday activation kind of guy for special teams and deep deep CB depth.

S (4):

Not sure TJ makes it anymore. If he does, he may well be cut to allow Ojabo/Kolar on the roster anyway. Just not sure where the spot for TJ comes from?

ST (3):

We're going to have to find 2 guys to let go of who we hope we get back. EDGE is thin that it feels like a risk but Steven Means might be the kind of replaceable that he's one of those types of guys. TJ's the most obvious option but I'm not sure he makes the 53 at all right now. Maybe it's Josh Ross and they hope he clears waivers. Or maybe Mike Davis just flat out doesn't make the team???

Feels like right now I've got Josh Ross, Mike Davis and Tony Jefferson fighting for 2 roster spots.

Mostly a pretty easy cutdown day with not many questions or potential surprises.
Imo
Means and Ross are making this roster.
Welch, Davis, and TJ should be fearful.

Something is up with the RB situation in general though and I don't quite get it

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Yep, I said it as it happened I was like wtf is he trying to do?

Simba

Staff Member

Offence (25):

QB (2):

RB (4 +1):

TE (3):

WR (5):

OL (10):

Defence (25):

DL (6):

EDGE (4):

ILB (5):

CB (6):

S (4):

ST (3):

I'm in pretty much complete agreement at this point. Only 2 things that I could see happening is a trade among the OL (maybe Phillips?) and Colon on. Then I still think Mack has a shot with Jones injury and then you can player roster roulette with a couple of guys to keep him in the fold. Davis, Bynes, Means, Urban, Jefferson (if he makes it) all could be guys they want to keep but not necessarily guys that need to be on the 53 if you can work out a handshake deal. Need at least 2 for Kolar and Ojabo but could see another 1 or 2.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm in pretty much complete agreement at this point. Only 2 things that I could see happening is a trade among the OL (maybe Phillips?) and Colon on. Then I still think Mack has a shot with Jones injury and then you can player roster roulette with a couple of guys to keep him in the fold. Davis, Bynes, Means, Urban, Jefferson (if he makes it) all could be guys they want to keep but not necessarily guys that need to be on the 53 if you can work out a handshake deal. Need at least 2 for Kolar and Ojabo but could see another 1 or 2.

at this point i think after an OL trade we'd be more likely to carry 9 OL and use that spot elsewhere than we would to put Colon on - the ben powers stuff i think sealed Colon's fate regardless of whether someone gets moved - right now Colon is C4 and like G6 and I think there's no reason they'll carry him even if they trade away a phillips and he ends up being C4 and G5

i guess in a rotational sense i could see Mack as a Jones replacement especially with some of the pass rush upside he's shown and knowing we're going to be light at NT anyway until Jones is back with only Pierce and with Crawford not likely an option anymore

Urban as a handshake guy makes a bunch of sense that i hadnt considered before - he likes it here, his wife's from here, he's 6th on the depth chart but will have a gameday role with his kick blocking role on special teams

id love to see mack on the roster because i really do think he has some spice at 3t - he's got those explosive qualities that we really seem to have prioritised at IDL in recent times