• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2022 Offseason Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
lmao y’all funny

he also said he had bad hands. lmao, did he even pay attention to him in college?
He had a few drops, A FEW. It was noticeable, but they were mostly of the “turned his head upfield for a big play but too soon” variety. A lot of young talented receivers have that issue and work it out

rossihunter2

Staff Member
lmao y’all funny

He had a few drops, A FEW. It was noticeable, but they were mostly of the “turned his head upfield for a big play but too soon” variety. A lot of young talented receivers have that issue and work it out

also as much as we hate drops - the best receivers in the league every year frequently lead the league in drops - part of being a dynamic receiving threat in the league now is about making plays after the catch and that requires you to occasionally take your eye off the ball and not look it in which can lead to slightly elevated drop rates

when evaluating drops you have to look at the context which is where it's important that you mention where most of bateman's drops came from in college

and also separating the concept of poor hands from drops - they're often related but they're not exactly the same thing

also, no one who catches the ball for a living has zero drops - we talk about elite drop rates being like below 3-4% but that's still a drop every 25 targets

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
also as much as we hate drops - the best receivers in the league every year frequently lead the league in drops - part of being a dynamic receiving threat in the league now is about making plays after the catch and that requires you to occasionally take your eye off the ball and not look it in which can lead to slightly elevated drop rates

when evaluating drops you have to look at the context which is where it's important that you mention where most of bateman's drops came from in college

and also separating the concept of poor hands from drops - they're often related but they're not exactly the same thing

also, no one who catches the ball for a living has zero drops - we talk about elite drop rates being like below 3-4% but that's still a drop every 25 targets
Ravens fans have seen so many brutal drops that they’re scarred

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
lmao y’all funny

I'm saying that Walter didn't like the pick last year because he had issues with drops in college. I didn't really see that much in the film I watched on him.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm saying that Walter didn't like the pick last year because he had issues with drops in college. I didn't really see that much in the film I watched on him.

He didn’t have issues with drops. Literally everyone else worth a shit said he had good hands. He just didn’t watch him

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
If one of the top 3 OTs did fall to us, do we believe they would be squarely in line to win LG if Stanley is healthy?
I'm highly, highly, highly intrigued to see what happens if basically the top three Corners are gone, most of the edge players we would want at 14 are gone, and there's a quality Tackle available. Do we take or do we trade down?

I don't think they'll be available, but I really think the FO is looking at day 2 or early day 3 to address depth at that position. But probably a case where if one of the top 3 fall, they may just be too good to pass up.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm highly, highly, highly intrigued to see what happens if basically the top three Corners are gone, most of the edge players we would want at 14 are gone, and there's a quality Tackle available. Do we take or do we trade down?

I don't think they'll be available, but I really think the FO is looking at day 2 or early day 3 to address depth at that position. But probably a case where if one of the top 3 fall, they may just be too good to pass up.

Knowing this team and it's love for quantity of picks over quality of picks, and it's lack of interest in drafting OL in the 1st round outside of a few notable cases, we'll trade down.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer

Right. I'm not expecting one to fall at all, but weird stuff happens. If one is there and as you said C and EDGE are depleted than your options are OT or trade back.

Given that apparently many teams are looking to trade back and as many are looking to trade up, staying pat might be a real possibility.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Right. I'm not expecting one to fall at all, but weird stuff happens. If one is there and as you said C and EDGE are depleted than your options are OT or trade back.

Given that apparently many teams are looking to trade back and as many are looking to trade up, staying pat might be a real possibility.
I think if somebody like Cross were to start to slide outside the top 10, I don't think finding somebody to trade up for that would be too difficult. I wouldn't want to or expect to move back to like the late 20s, but you got guys like New Orleans or Philly behind us that I think could make that type of move, or even somebody like Arizona at 23.

Understand everybody seemingly wants to trade back at this point, but a) it requires two to tango and b) when players that teams value a lot drop to levels they weren't expecting, teams frequently make moves to get that guy when it becomes cheaper and more realistic.

The other obvious fascinating thing for me in this draft will be to see what the value's are for trading this year. Like if it's as low on high end talent and as deep on depth as a lot of prior drafts, theoretically, the price to trade up will be cheaper than normal.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I think if somebody like Cross were to start to slide outside the top 10, I don't think finding somebody to trade up for that would be too difficult. I wouldn't want to or expect to move back to like the late 20s, but you got guys like New Orleans or Philly behind us that I think could make that type of move, or even somebody like Arizona at 23.

Understand everybody seemingly wants to trade back at this point, but a) it requires two to tango and b) when players that teams value a lot drop to levels they weren't expecting, teams frequently make moves to get that guy when it becomes cheaper and more realistic.

The other obvious fascinating thing for me in this draft will be to see what the value's are for trading this year. Like if it's as low on high end talent and as deep on depth as a lot of prior drafts, theoretically, the price to trade up will be cheaper than normal.
Just was writing about this in the draft forum. I think all options of trade up, down, and stay out are very much on the table in a way that typically isn't the case.

We're typically far more likely to stay put or trade back. This year we may be more likely to trade up or stay pat then trade back even if we wanted to.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If one of the top 3 OTs did fall to us, do we believe they would be squarely in line to win LG if Stanley is healthy?

i think cross is the real test here
neal and ekwonu both fit really easily in at guard... cross maybe not (maybe he does but i wouldnt project him there) - which is why i wonder if penning is higher on the board than cross (for the ravens) because he has the positional versatility to slide inside to guard

id be pissed if it's penning but id understand it if the alternative was cross

rossihunter2

Staff Member

saints traded into the 1st round clearly because they think they're close enough to make a run and wanted 2 quality players and think there's 19 of them in the class

i have to think they're taking a tackle with one of those picks and if cross landed at 14 i think we could probably finagle a 2 spot drop from them to go and get him

and worth pointing out that the value of trading down, even at a discount vs JJ chart is still probably good value even in a more conventional draft class

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Just was writing about this in the draft forum. I think all options of trade up, down, and stay out are very much on the table in a way that typically isn't the case.

We're typically far more likely to stay put or trade back. This year we may be more likely to trade up or stay pat then trade back even if we wanted to.

we'll be trading back at some point - it's just whether it's with the 1st pick or not

i just dont see who the guy is that slides close enough for us to go up and get him other than stingley...

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
i think cross is the real test here
neal and ekwonu both fit really easily in at guard... cross maybe not (maybe he does but i wouldnt project him there) - which is why i wonder if penning is higher on the board than cross (for the ravens) because he has the positional versatility to slide inside to guard

id be pissed if it's penning but id understand it if the alternative was cross
Yeah I hear you. If we picked Penning it would be deflating but he'd honestly be quite a versatile guy as you said. Definitely has the chance to play LG right away. Could play LT of need be. Could be the swing T. If you take Penning you probably can rest easy with your OL. You just didn't get the opportunity to add a stud on D.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
we'll be trading back at some point - it's just whether it's with the 1st pick or not

i just dont see who the guy is that slides close enough for us to go up and get him other than stingley...
Maybe an EDGE? There's some crazy projections of JJ going 3rd? Maybe if he slides a little we pull the trigger?

Maybe Hamilton? And as you said obviously Stingley. Maybe even McDuffie if Sauce and Stingley are already gone and we're not interested in Booth for some reason