• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2022 Offseason Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah I hear you. If we picked Penning it would be deflating but he'd honestly be quite a versatile guy as you said. Definitely has the chance to play LG right away. Could play LT of need be. Could be the swing T. If you take Penning you probably can rest easy with your OL. You just didn't get the opportunity to add a stud on D.

i should clarify given that we're only 3 days away now and that penning seems to very much be clearly in play but...

i do not think penning is a bad prospect, in fact i think he's a very good prospect, i just dont see him as a top 15 type prospect and prefer a load of guys to him

but he has some high level traits and qualities that would be exciting as well as that positional versatility upside where he'd be a great fit at guard (albeit we'd hopefully be drafting him with the intention that he would be playing tackle in the future) - ive seen some who think he'd be a dominant guard and i definitely see that upside given that his question-marks/weaknesses as a pass protector would be somewhat mitigated by a move inside

the other disappointing thing about drafting penning is it likely means we'd be giving up on 2 3rd round picks in the previous 2 drafts too at LG

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Maybe an EDGE? There's some crazy projections of JJ going 3rd? Maybe if he slides a little we pull the trigger?

Maybe Hamilton? And as you said obviously Stingley. Maybe even McDuffie if Sauce and Stingley are already gone and we're not interested in Booth for some reason

i just dont think any of the edges move the needle enough for the ravens to give up capital to go and get them given the level of talent that's going to be available on day 2

im gonna be supportive of basically any overall draft strategy that involves adding picks and drafting edge in R2

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
i should clarify given that we're only 3 days away now and that penning seems to very much be clearly in play but...

i do not think penning is a bad prospect, in fact i think he's a very good prospect, i just dont see him as a top 15 type prospect and prefer a load of guys to him

but he has some high level traits and qualities that would be exciting as well as that positional versatility upside where he'd be a great fit at guard (albeit we'd hopefully be drafting him with the intention that he would be playing tackle in the future) - ive seen some who think he'd be a dominant guard and i definitely see that upside given that his question-marks/weaknesses as a pass protector would be somewhat mitigated by a move inside

the other disappointing thing about drafting penning is it likely means we'd be giving up on 2 3rd round picks in the previous 2 drafts too at LG
Yeah the last part would be sad

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
i just dont think any of the edges move the needle enough for the ravens to give up capital to go and get them given the level of talent that's going to be available on day 2

im gonna be supportive of basically any overall draft strategy that involves adding picks and drafting edge in R2
I really want Ebiketie, but he's gonna be gone by the end of the first I'd reckon. Man would I love to find a way to actually trade back. Please someone be dumb enough to trade up for a receiver

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I really want Ebiketie, but he's gonna be gone by the end of the first I'd reckon. Man would I love to find a way to actually trade back. Please someone be dumb enough to trade up for a receiver

i think one of these guys will make it to 45:

Ebiketie
Jackson
Mafe
Paschal
(Ojabo)

but even if not at edge ive got 38 guys id love to take at 45 (and 48 who i have grades that i would deem worthy of the 45th pick) and that list includes zero QBs, TEs or RBs either so it's not like it's full of guys at positions we're not interested in either

if stingley's not there

i think my dream outcome is a trade down far enough to net at least an extra day 2 pick, still take one of the top 19 guys and let the board come to you

i think it'd be reasonable for us to be looking to trade down at both 14 and 45
i think 76 is probably around where there's going to be a fairly significant drop-off in talent - hopefully it happens after 76 but somewhere between 76 and 100 id expect to see the last of the surer things start to go and we start to see developmental guys or more limited role-player types go

depending on how the draft falls i think 76 is probably the only pick id like to see us probably not try and trade out of

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Someone is going to fall. It’s going to happen. I could totally see Charles cross at 14. With that, I think someone will take penning earlier than he should.

People are so quick to forget how terrible our line was last year. If Ronnie can’t be 75% of who he was, the season will end before it starts.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I hope and believe this is true but also absurdly suspicious this comes out Monday of draft week.

hahaha it's definitely lying season... so with that being said this guarantees a tackle at 14 lol

but on a serious level the timing is somewhat weird but i guess they did the medical check up before the draft just to make sure that they could be free to follow the draft plan they had and not have to artificially emphasise tackles higher

and everything else the ravens have done and said this offseason (and even since stanley couldnt go after the raiders) has suggested he's going to be back...
1) they thought he had a chance to play again in 2021
2) they shut him down specifically so that he could get healthy for 2022
3) they targeted (with lots of alternative options on the market), specifically, a RT only free agent in Morgan Moses with no swing value
4) they feel comfortable with mekari at C despite the fact that he's the only LT backup on the roster
5) in every subsequent presser they've seemed cautiously optimistic about him and have even talked about their plans for easing him back into the offseason work (clearly expecting him to be doing offseason football work)

now that being said, if they draft a LT at 14 then maybe you question it a bit (then again it could just be that the BPA is a tackle and they've earmarked them to play G in year 1 and move out to RT in year 2 and beyond but also are there to insure against stanley)

either way, the ravens dont normally use insiders to feed bad information or anything like that - normally that stuff happens at the liar's luncheon because we dont like leaking anything on an organisational level

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
hahaha it's definitely lying season... so with that being said this guarantees a tackle at 14 lol

but on a serious level the timing is somewhat weird but i guess they did the medical check up before the draft just to make sure that they could be free to follow the draft plan they had and not have to artificially emphasise tackles higher

and everything else the ravens have done and said this offseason (and even since stanley couldnt go after the raiders) has suggested he's going to be back...
3) they targeted (with lots of alternative options on the market), specifically, a RT only free agent in Morgan Moses with no swing value
4) they feel comfortable with mekari at C despite the fact that he's the only LT backup on the roster
5) in every subsequent presser they've seemed cautiously optimistic about him and have even talked about their plans for easing him back into the offseason work (clearly expecting him to be doing offseason football work)

now that being said, if they draft a LT at 14 then maybe you question it a bit (then again it could just be that the BPA is a tackle and they've earmarked them to play G in year 1 and move out to RT in year 2 and beyond but also are there to insure against stanley)

either way, the ravens dont normally use insiders to feed bad information or anything like that - normally that stuff happens at the liar's luncheon because we dont like leaking anything on an organisational level

Charles Cross at 14 is fine with me.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If we pick a LT with the 14th pick you will know this is disinformation and he will not be ready if ever.

depends who it is
if it's cross, he was either BPA by a mile or we should maybe be worried

if it's any of the other guys then they all project to be able to play guard while also providing contingency for ronnie and being the future at RT

a tackle in R1 isnt necessarily a death knell for ronnie but cross might be unless he's clearly and obviously the best guy left but i struggle to see where he'd play in year 1 unless we bench the RT we just paid money to

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Morgan Moses has played left tackle before and did it well a couple years ago when Washington had a ton of OL injuries. He could move over to LT and have Mekari at right tackle, if need be.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer

One part of me thinks that Hollywood is a player and should for the most part trust the team and coaches.

Another part of me says that Hollywood was absolutely a bought in passionate player and tried to provide some constructive feedback.

Ultimately though the way that the Ravens responded to his feedback was enough to sour the relationship to the point he wanted to go.

If you have Dez saying it. Hollywood saying it. Most fans can see it. This seems like its beginning to become a problem.

Lamar doesn't need this crutch we keep providing. It's like we keep the floor high at the cost of the ceiling. At some point you're gonna need to trust the guy and open it up. That does not mean throw everything we've built up away but it may mean moving on from Roman

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
The last thing I want is for guys like Bateman or whoever we draft next year to come into an already disgruntled WR room and feel like based on how the Ravens have acted Hurst, Brown, Brown they can just leave

rossihunter2

Staff Member

One part of me thinks that Hollywood is a player and should for the most part trust the team and coaches.

Another part of me says that Hollywood was absolutely a bought in passionate player and tried to provide some constructive feedback.

Ultimately though the way that the Ravens responded to his feedback was enough to sour the relationship to the point he wanted to go.

If you have Dez saying it. Hollywood saying it. Most fans can see it. This seems like its beginning to become a problem.

Lamar doesn't need this crutch we keep providing. It's like we keep the floor high at the cost of the ceiling. At some point you're gonna need to trust the guy and open it up. That does not mean throw everything we've built up away but it may mean moving on from Roman

if lamar didnt like the system, roman wouldnt be here
i cant imagine there's this massive disconnect
and for what it's worth, hollywood's the only guy who's said anything (although he does address that somewhat in the clip)

if i see someone else complain about the offensive system then sure - but hollywood's the only guy who's complained about it

other than Dez who (rightly) said we didnt trust the receiver room in 2020 (which was fair enough because the receiver room wasnt great lol)

Michael M.

Pro Bowler
The last thing I want is for guys like Bateman or whoever we draft next year to come into an already disgruntled WR room and feel like based on how the Ravens have acted Hurst, Brown, Brown they can just leave
I agree. You can't allow a few of the players to start controlling the organization. I think the Steelers ran into that with Bell and AB and we see how they chose to handle it.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
if lamar didnt like the system, roman wouldnt be here
i cant imagine there's this massive disconnect
and for what it's worth, hollywood's the only guy who's said anything (although he does address that somewhat in the clip)

if i see someone else complain about the offensive system then sure - but hollywood's the only guy who's complained about it

other than Dez who (rightly) said we didnt trust the receiver room in 2020 (which was fair enough because the receiver room wasnt great lol)
So I think you made the perfect point. There's 2 possible situations. One is far worse than the other.

1 it was definitely some independent selfishness from Marquise and largely everyone else is bought in.

2 Marquise isn't lying and he really was just the messenger on behalf of the room.