• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2022 Offseason Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think Chris Moore would easily be WR2 if he was still around. Boykin would possibly beat out Duv for that spot as well.

I hope I'm wrong, but Ravens' fans have a long history of saying such and such WR just needs a chance and they'll be good. It has very rarely worked out.

If I was gonna bet on anyone stepping up it'd be Proche, but I'm not gonna get hyped for another unknown WR until they actually do something.

Not saying they’re the answer but Duvernay, proche and Wallace have already shown better than Chris Moore and miles Boykin and we even saw that last year, Boykin was WR7 behind all these guys already

Not going to pretend that those guys are proven at all - but they’re clearly already more impactful on offence than Boykin

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Well so has the cycle of our running game not being effective in big games, receivers dropping passes in big games, the QB making mistakes in big games, and the defense not performing at a high enough level.
Basically describes the Tennessee and Buffalo losses to a T.
I've yet to see a compelling argument that adding a "#1 WR" would have changed the outcome of either of those losses.

I mean a WR1 isn’t necessary for sure but would definitely have made a massive difference against the Titans in 2019... but so would a competent WR2 also

We don’t need elite WR play all through the roster but we do need good or at least competent and reliable WR play behind Bateman

rossihunter2

Staff Member
OK. I just don't see any of those players available. They don't grow on trees, and 32 NFL teams want what you describe.
Best chance to get that is in the 2023 draft or in FA. And the draft, by definition, is just a bunch of unproven players.
End of day, we're not going to be in a position to just pluck reliable veterans out of FA for the foreseeable future. Will happen sometimes, but your WR room will never grow with that logic. It'll just be a room full of rotational players who you never know if they'll be there year in and year out.

And EDC has already basically said that when the board gives you the opportunity, you want to be drafting a WR every single year...

But this roster needs WRs right now... we’ve got 4 guys who will make the roster and a bunch of unproven, uninspiring udfas and former udfas behind them... that’s just not enough

ChainedBird

Practice Squad
And EDC has already basically said that when the board gives you the opportunity, you want to be drafting a WR every single year...

But this roster needs WRs right now... we’ve got 4 guys who will make the roster and a bunch of unproven, uninspiring udfas and former udfas behind them... that’s just not enough
Tbf I'm not sure how much cap space we have atm and I'm not entirely against another WR if we can afford it. If we can pay our rookies, sign Houston and sign a decent CB and also then get another WR (in that order) without mortgaging our future then I'm all for it.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Tbf I'm not sure how much cap space we have atm and I'm not entirely against another WR if we can afford it. If we can pay our rookies, sign Houston and sign a decent CB and also then get another WR (in that order) without mortgaging our future then I'm all for it.

we've still got enough to make a few rounding out type of moves if we want to
obviously anything we spend now though eats into our ability to get a guy mid-season in a trade if we want to have that opportunity available to us (and we know that EDC likes to investigate those kinds of options - which is partly why i think they might investigate OBJ at some point because they might think he's a good late season addition who might be reasonably priced because of his lack of availability to start the season)

we've got the flexibility still to create some space with a ben powers release, a sam koch release (or retirement), a marlon restructure, an MP extension and if we're confident in stanley's health then we can restructure him too

obviously the humphrey and stanley moves push money later into their deal although we're so early in their deals that it's not an outrageous backload depending on how much we restructure them

we've got the ability to make any moves we want right now... if we want to make them

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
People are already on this train in the replies, but guessing this is Koch

We traded for Baker.

We all know that this front office loves to rekindle past draft crushes that got away. Rumors were that we loved Baker coming out of the draft. So here we are…

LFG!!
0FE2082C-0A95-4DA9-873C-B40A9AEA3BFB.jpeg

Simba

Staff Member
i couldnt think what it would be but now that you've said koch that makes a ton of sense
Just felt like they were saying without saying it in the post-draft presser and this happening right before the full team OTAs next week just lines up

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Just felt like they were saying without saying it in the post-draft presser and this happening right before the full team OTAs next week just lines up

it's gonna be a retirement of someone for sure - cant think of any other reason why it'd be EDC and Harbs both
koch makes the most sense

but could be jimmy smith too

also why isnt brandon williams signed somewhere yet lol? i get that he's not a dynamic starting option but dude's still at least a rotational nose tackle...

Simba

Staff Member
it's gonna be a retirement of someone for sure - cant think of any other reason why it'd be EDC and Harbs both
koch makes the most sense

but could be jimmy smith too

also why isnt brandon williams signed somewhere yet lol? i get that he's not a dynamic starting option but dude's still at least a rotational nose tackle...
Just make it a whole retirement party

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
We had a singular off game, it happens. I don't see why any strategy should be dominant (14-2) in the regular season and then fall flat in the playoffs. A games a game, both teams always want to win, either it works or it doesn't.

I'm not saying absolutely no to a vet, but I'd take our WR room over 2019's (an injured Hollywood, Boykin, Chris Moore, Seth Roberts, Jaleel Scott, Willie Snead) and we crushed that year.
Um what about the next playoffs when we put up 20 and 3 points respectfully? Remember when we had 3 points against the titans 29 minutes in until a miracle half a field run? The offense hasn’t worked either year in the playoffs

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
teams lose with #1 WRs all the time. I feel all we need are 2 or 3 #2 WRs and some good WR3s. A WR1 isn't as important as many make them out to be. A team just needs to compensate somewhere else on the team, ie defense etc...
Indeed, coming into the season I was a bit worried with Duv being our #3 Wr, he is only a gadget player and the faster people can admit that the better off we are. Sammy had some big catches last year I fully know no wr not Bateman could make this year. We don’t often need a wr 3 so I was fine with Duv.

But when he becomes our #2? We’re fucked. We don’t need terry or Dj, we need a current stage Julio, or anyone who has actually proven they can beat coverage- espically in situations where the defense knows where passing