• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2022 Offseason Thread

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Huge frame, likely doesn’t have much of a chance playing if he doesn’t do that imo
I think it's a little too early for that. If you're right, then he was probably a terrible draft pick because he was not much of a blocker in college.

Let's see what he does in TC and the preseason first. I have a feeling that he can be a decent TE3 more in the style of Andrews as compared to Boyle.

marklar

Pro Bowler
So what is everone's far-too-early prediction for the Ravens this season?
I feel that I have even less of a clue than usual if this is a good roster or not. Feels like there's a lot pointing in the right direction, but a bunch of things that feel uncertain as hell.
For now, I'll go with a record similar to last year, 8-10 wins.

ChainedBird

Practice Squad
I think it's a little too early for that. If you're right, then he was probably a terrible draft pick because he was not much of a blocker in college.

Let's see what he does in TC and the preseason first. I have a feeling that he can be a decent TE3 more in the style of Andrews as compared to Boyle.
Worth noting that almost all TE's are bad at blocking in college because that's not what they're asked to do. I think the most we can say there is that Kolar is a developmental prospect as a blocking TE. Give him a year of training with Boyle and who knows how he might grow.

ChainedBird

Practice Squad
I feel that I have even less of a clue than usual if this is a good roster or not. Feels like there's a lot pointing in the right direction, but a bunch of things that feel uncertain as hell.
It's health really, that's the gigantic question mark. If we're fully healthy then imo we should be dominant/right near the top of the AFC (14-3).

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Sure. If you have a few billion lying around, you can afford to pay a few million to a TE to talk to. Talent is irrelevant
of course talent is relevant, but if you listened to Peter King's rendition of his time in the 4th round with the Ravens, he said how excited he was to have someone to talk to.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Worth noting that almost all TE's are bad at blocking in college because that's not what they're asked to do. I think the most we can say there is that Kolar is a developmental prospect as a blocking TE. Give him a year of training with Boyle and who knows how he might grow.

but why do that when you could focus on receiving...

the fact of the matter is that most college TEs are hardly used at all unless you go to specific schools

ChainedBird

Practice Squad

the fact of the matter is that most college TEs are hardly used at all unless you go to specific schools
Well yeah, I agree. He was a good receiver in college, not questioning that. The only point I'm making is that you can't necessarily judge a TE's blocking ability in the NFL based on what they did in college.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator

No tight end drafted is to be a blocker but if they can't find a role they become one. I'm not suggesting that we turn Kolar into Boyle or anything, I'm thinking he puts on 10 pounds of muscle to his huge frame so he has a better chance of being on the field.

I think I miscommunicated by saying blocking tight end. I just mean a guy who can be big and block more than he use to. He could be an awesome readzone weapon with improved blocking added to his impressive ability to find coverage spots

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
No tight end drafted is to be a blocker but if they can't find a role they become one. I'm not suggesting that we turn Kolar into Boyle or anything, I'm thinking he puts on 10 pounds of muscle to his huge frame so he has a better chance of being on the field.

I think I miscommunicated by saying blocking tight end. I just mean a guy who can be big and block more than he use to. He could be an awesome readzone weapon with improved blocking added to his impressive ability to find coverage spots
I mean, he's already the same size as Andrews (6'6" 252 vs 6'5" 256).

Pokitren

Practice Squad
8-10 wins? Sounds good! I think we can count on a good team performance.

Pokitren

Practice Squad
Well yeah, I agree. He was a good receiver in college, not questioning that. The only point I'm making is that you can't necessarily judge a TE's blocking ability in the NFL based on what they did in college.
But in any case, we know about the player from the college game. And we can always expect something new from them ^_^ preferably - useful for the team :cool: