• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2022 Offseason Thread

Michael M.

Pro Bowler
Well basically, I don't understand why we keep Greg Roman when clearly Lamar doesn't like the system/doesn't like running so much, as per what he said. Hollywood hated the system and wanted out. How many other receivers think the same thing? Can we afford to lose Lamar because we will most likely keep this system in place and most likely keep Roman, because he's Harbaugh's buddy?
They need to do with the offense what they just did with the defense-get a younger coordinator with a different scheme

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
They need to do with the offense what they just did with the defense-get a younger coordinator with a different scheme

The argument is always "well who's out there?? Name someone!" well, did anyone even know about Harbaugh when he was hired? I'm sure there are plenty of coaches out there who would love the opportunity of working with Lamar

ChainedBird

Practice Squad
Well basically, I don't understand why we keep Greg Roman when clearly Lamar doesn't like the system/doesn't like running so much, as per what he said. Hollywood hated the system and wanted out. How many other receivers think the same thing? Can we afford to lose Lamar because we will most likely keep this system in place and most likely keep Roman, because he's Harbaugh's buddy?
I'm not sold that Lamar doesn't like Roman's system, it's built to cater specifically to his strengths and I'm sure he knows that. If Lamar really hated it then Greg would already be gone, no question.

The only room that hate it are WRs (and damn they can be such divas), which makes sense as they are used less than other teams, whereas TEs, OL and RBs love it as they are used more than other teams.

We'll see how it goes this year, but as long as we're healthy I think we're going to have a hell of an offense!

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The argument is always "well who's out there?? Name someone!" well, did anyone even know about Harbaugh when he was hired? I'm sure there are plenty of coaches out there who would love the opportunity of working with Lamar
Harbaugh's don't come around often. Just look at how many coaches have been hired since Harbaugh around the league and look how many still have a job. Most coaches in this league don't last. It's extremely difficult to find these types of coaches and they aren't available often.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Has Lamar ever said he didn't like GRo's system?

Hollywood didn't like it that's true.

We don't know if any other receivers don't like it outside of Dez Bryant.

Harbs would never choose Roman over Lamar. That's why I think Lamar has never had an issue with GRo. If he did, there's no way he'd still be around. In fact, Lamar liking him may be the only reason he's still around.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor

Harbs would never choose Roman over Lamar. That's why I think Lamar has never had an issue with GRo. If he did, there's no way he'd still be around. In fact, Lamar liking him may be the only reason he's still around.

Well I mean Lamar has said he doesn’t like to run. So what does Roman continue to do? Run him in designed runs. That to me is common sense that he doesn’t like that, and therefore doesn’t like the system

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Harbaugh's don't come around often. Just look at how many coaches have been hired since Harbaugh around the league and look how many still have a job. Most coaches in this league don't last. It's extremely difficult to find these types of coaches and they aren't available often.

This is a fair point.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm not sold that Lamar doesn't like Roman's system, it's built to cater specifically to his strengths and I'm sure he knows that. If Lamar really hated it then Greg would already be gone, no question.

The only room that hate it are WRs (and damn they can be such divas), which makes sense as they are used less than other teams, whereas TEs, OL and RBs love it as they are used more than other teams.

We'll see how it goes this year, but as long as we're healthy I think we're going to have a hell of an offense!

Here’s hoping

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Well I mean Lamar has said he doesn’t like to run. So what does Roman continue to do? Run him in designed runs. That to me is common sense that he doesn’t like that, and therefore doesn’t like the system
That feels like a stretch, but I'm just speculating here. I've had the impression that he wants to run less because he wants to prove he's a thrower. He's an elite runner and it doesn't make sense to remove that from the offense entirely.

ChainedBird

Practice Squad
When did he say that? The closest I can remember is him throwing shade at people that called him a RB during the draft and that he wants to counter that by showing that he can throw as well as run. As far as I can tell the guy loves to run and is crazy good at it

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well Lamar also runs an awful lot on non-designed runs. So if Lamar doesn't like running, his actions certainly haven't shown that.
I'm completely fine if we move on from Roman after another bad year. I'm just heavily pumping the brakes that if we bring in a more pass-happy coordinator (which lets face it, that's what you're advocating for), that Lamar will actually excel. I think we all need to accept that fact that part of what makes Lamar Lamar is that he can run the ball so effectively, and defenses have to account for that. If we start doing a lot less of designed runs, and start limiting his ability to scramble when he wants, then honestly, I'm not particularly interested in paying him $50M.
$50M pocket passing Lamar Jackson doesn't entice me in the slightest.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
When did he say that? The closest I can remember is him throwing shade at people that called him a RB during the draft and that he wants to counter that by showing that he can throw as well as run. As far as I can tell the guy loves to run and is crazy good at it

He’s said it before I’m those exact words. I hope someone here can pull that up for you

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well Lamar also runs an awful lot on non-designed runs. So if Lamar doesn't like running, his actions certainly haven't shown that.
I'm completely fine if we move on from Roman after another bad year. I'm just heavily pumping the brakes that if we bring in a more pass-happy coordinator (which lets face it, that's what you're advocating for), that Lamar will actually excel. I think we all need to accept that fact that part of what makes Lamar Lamar is that he can run the ball so effectively, and defenses have to account for that. If we start doing a lot less of designed runs, and start limiting his ability to scramble when he wants, then honestly, I'm not particularly interested in paying him $50M.
$50M pocket passing Lamar Jackson doesn't entice me in the slightest.

As always, I love your input rmc

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Our running game obviously took a big hit last year due to injuries. But if you combine 2019 and 2020, our running game wasn't great, hell....it wasn't elite, it was damn near IMMORTAL. We smacked the shit out of these peasant run defenses. It's why we're in the bottom 10 or whatever in passing yards because we were gaining yards in bunches on the ground.

Harbs and our FO aren't stupid. They know that a great running game does wonders for Lamar. Like I said several months ago, should this offense regress majorly all across the board, it wouldn't surprise me if this was Roman's last year.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Lamar has only ever had good things to say about Roman. At times the players get frustrated and that includes Lamar but he has never openly said he doesn’t like/doesn’t wanna play in Roman’s offense

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Lamar has said he wants to pass, not that he doesn’t like to run, Lamar wants to do everything to win and if that means passing the ball then he wants to pass, he doesn’t dislike running

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lamar has said he wants to pass, not that he doesn’t like to run, Lamar wants to do everything to win and if that means passing the ball then he wants to pass, he doesn’t dislike running

Incorrect: https://www.baltimoreravens.com/video/lamar-jackson-i-hate-running

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
thats lamar strength though.. its hard for him not call designed run plays imo.. keeps defense on their toes

marklar

Pro Bowler
Fact: watching running plays is a lot more fun than pass plays. We watch the NFL to see big guys bully each other, not hairdresser primadonna WRs dance arond on finesse plays
Ergo, Roman is the best OC in the league.

Anyone who disagrees i a Steelers fan. Right?

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
To be fair i think wrs have gotten a little more involved as lamar developed but at same time its never gonna be some pass heavy offense… idk why people expected something different when they knew his system sucked for wrs with bills and niners..our play calling has been limited in past because of both lamar and gro..