• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2022 Offseason Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I don't want anything to do with DK or Deebo. However, they're probably the two pieces left to fall yet this offseason. It could be that it's just them staying, who knows.

I'd expect the niners to trade Garrapolo and pay Deebo. DK I think probably also stays in Seattle
I’d still like dk here even at the cost, I’d kick the can down the road for a dude like that. I’d prefer a pass rusher but man I think dk would be a lot of fun in this offense

ChainedBird

Practice Squad
If we do pick up a WR I reckon it'll be Odell late in the season for a playoff run where we only have to pay for part of the season. Seems unlikely though...

Biff Tannen

Practice Squad
If we do pick up a WR I reckon it'll be Odell late in the season for a playoff run where we only have to pay for part of the season. Seems unlikely though...
I'd rather not pick one up if he is the best option:D

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
I’d still like dk here even at the cost, I’d kick the can down the road for a dude like that. I’d prefer a pass rusher but man I think dk would be a lot of fun in this offense
I think something like this is potentially there, but only if we get Lamar on a long-term deal first. Getting a top tier WR, either in FA or via trade before taking care of Lamar would be, sort of, putting the cart before the horse. Plus, I still think this WR group is going to perform better than we might think and any money left in the cap might be better utilized somewhere else... D-Line, LB's.

ChainedBird

Practice Squad
I'd rather not pick one up if he is the best option:D
Ha yeah, agreed long term, but I'd consider a few games rental around playoff time.

Tbh if we get Houston (and our injuries pan out) then imo we're in good shape and should leave the $2M and and change cap space left over in EDC's pocket in case an area gets severely depleted/underperforms. I know we've got some contract wriggle room for emergency extra cap space if we need it, but let's not negatively impact our future year's cap space unless needed.

Biff Tannen

Practice Squad
Latest ranking our linebacker core is rated pretty mid level which is not too suprising. Hopefully they can perform better than some think they will. Looking for Bynes in particular too make some more significant leaps in his play.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Latest ranking our linebacker core is rated pretty mid level which is not too suprising. Hopefully they can perform better than some think they will. Looking for Bynes in particular too make some more significant leaps in his play.
I don't know if Bynes will get better, but I do believe Queen will continue his upward swing.

Biff Tannen

Practice Squad
I don't know if Bynes will get better, but I do believe Queen will continue his upward swing.
Yeah Queen is one to look out for also. Has all the tools you need to be a standout LB in this league for sure.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
he was definitely better the 2nd half than the first half and that includes tackling.
If he’s gotta be a read and react kinda player, try to play a defense that allows that, take oweh out of that role and have him edge rush more and let queen survey and attack, put a safety in as LB2 because you have madubuike, pierce, Campbell, and jones to handle run duties, queen can plug and shoot gaps in the run games with the best of them he just can’t take on a 2 gap to save his life.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ha yeah, agreed long term, but I'd consider a few games rental around playoff time.

Tbh if we get Houston (and our injuries pan out) then imo we're in good shape and should leave the $2M and and change cap space left over in EDC's pocket in case an area gets severely depleted/underperforms. I know we've got some contract wriggle room for emergency extra cap space if we need it, but let's not negatively impact our future year's cap space unless needed.
Well, just to be clear, we'll need additional cap space by the start of the season anyway. The $2-3M we have now basically isn't enough. The cap is artificially low for the Rule of 51 in the offseason. Once that goes away, all players need to be under the cap. That includes active 53 + practice squad + dead money + players on IR. So you're going to be carrying at least 70 guys basically.

So there's a contract restructure or extension (or two) coming here in the next two months one way or another. It won't happen until they absolutely "need it", but there's no scenario I see where it doesn't happen before kickoff in week 1.