• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Movie Thread

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Impossible to not leave something out but here goes :

Big Fish
No Country For Old Men
Foxcatcher
This is Spinal Tap
Sideways
Apocolypto
Chariots of Fire......along with a few dozen that don't come to mind right now.

Ludy51

Hall of Famer
ive never been a big spiderman fan but homecoming was a phenomenal film that is both cineliterate and fun and avoided so many of the cliches of the MCU since its conception
"Hi, I'm Captain America. Your body is changing, believe me, I know how that feels"

Ludy51

Hall of Famer
please tell me you stayed for the post-credits... might be the best mcu credits scenes yet and another great ferris bueller reference with the 4th wall break
I stayed for the first one, unfortunately the rest of my family wasn't patient enough for the second, ironically enough.

usmccharles

Practice Squad
Alien: Covenant- I had super high expectations for this movie, so it isn't surprising that it didn't meet them. Not saying it was bad, i really like it, just wasn't as good as i was hoping for.

Lost City of Z- I love movies like this: Adventure, exploring etc. Leaves you wanting more but still a good watch.

The Circle- Wasn't bad, but nothing special imo

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
i still need to see it - like every time i see a justice league trailer in theatres while im watching some other new release it just makes me think how much i wanted to see wonder woman because i definitely will not be seeing justice league
Why are you not going to see Justice League?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Why are you not going to see Justice League?

because it doesnt seem interesting to me - unlike marvel, DC have not earned the benefit of the doubt so Im not going to assume its watchable and the trailers make me want to see it less and less - and as long as zach snyder is at the helm, the DC movies will struggle to tell any sort of coherent story with any stakes because he doesnt know how to make engaging plots or characters - his idea of a good film is a spectacular image next to another spectacular image without any substance or weight to each moment - there's never any stakes or depth to a snyder movie even the good ones like watchmen and 300 are pretty superficial - and despite the marvel universe lacking enough stakes in my opinion they do mostly make you forget about the lack of stakes because their characters are so engaging and because they often still tell a compelling/interesting story not purely visually

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
because it doesnt seem interesting to me - unlike marvel, DC have not earned the benefit of the doubt so Im not going to assume its watchable and the trailers make me want to see it less and less - and as long as zach snyder is at the helm, the DC movies will struggle to tell any sort of coherent story with any stakes because he doesnt know how to make engaging plots or characters - his idea of a good film is a spectacular image next to another spectacular image without any substance or weight to each moment - there's never any stakes or depth to a snyder movie even the good ones like watchmen and 300 are pretty superficial - and despite the marvel universe lacking enough stakes in my opinion they do mostly make you forget about the lack of stakes because their characters are so engaging and because they often still tell a compelling/interesting story not purely visually
That's true, I've kind of avoided the DC movies for that reason.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
If there is any consolation, Joss Whedon(the guy who directed both Avengers movies) is the one who took over for Snyder after he left because of his daughter's tragic suicide. He does get to do reshoots, and might do some reshoots to add some more character driven scenes.

But who the fuck am I kidding? Any project with Snyder attached to direct is going to end in disaster. Which is a damn shame. I have agreed with almost 100% of his castings so far(except for Ezra Miller as the Flash. I think that's going to bomb hard). He's casted a ton of really talented actors. Yet, his direction fucks some of that up too(Eisenberg's Lex Luthor for example. He's way too damn talented to be this bad if not for some bad direction).