• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Movie Thread

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I won tickets to see Transformers the Last Knight. It was surprisingly not terrible like the previous three movies..... still not a good movie by any stretch of the imagination. But not nearly as bad as Age of Extinction.

Spider-Man Homecoming was a ton of fun. Michael Keaton better return.

Next week I'm going to see Dunkirk and Atomic Blonde. As a history buff I'm super excited for Dunkirk

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I won tickets to see Transformers the Last Knight. It was surprisingly not terrible like the previous three movies..... still not a good movie by any stretch of the imagination. But not nearly as bad as Age of Extinction.

Spider-Man Homecoming was a ton of fun. Michael Keaton better return.

Next week I'm going to see Dunkirk and Atomic Blonde. As a history buff I'm super excited for Dunkirk

Don't you mean the previous 4 lol?

I was actually a little disappointed at Dunkirk but I'll be interested to hear your thoughts

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Don't you mean the previous 4 lol?

I was actually a little disappointed at Dunkirk but I'll be interested to hear your thoughts
Transformers One is a bad movie. But it's incredibly entertaining and a ton of fun. It has an easy to understand plot for the most part and it doesn't make you want to kill yourself after watching it.

2, 3, 4(the worst of the bunch if we are being totally honest), all made me want to die after I watched them. I watched 4 in theaters with my two kid brothers, and I can safely say that it was the worst experience I had ever had in a movie theater.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Transformers One is a bad movie. But it's incredibly entertaining and a ton of fun. It has an easy to understand plot for the most part and it doesn't make you want to kill yourself after watching it.

2, 3, 4(the worst of the bunch if we are being totally honest), all made me want to die after I watched them. I watched 4 in theaters with my two kid brothers, and I can safely say that it was the worst experience I had ever had in a movie theater.

Oh right I get you - I do have a soft spot for the first one - and despite being crazy irl, Shia labeouf is a great actor

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Oh right I get you - I do have a soft spot for the first one - and despite being crazy irl, Shia labeouf is a great actor
Yeah. There are some movies that are bad, but entertaining as all hell so you have fun watching them.

Then there are some movies that are so bad that they're actually masterpieces.

speaking of which.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Top ten greatest action sequences in movies of all time(my opinion).

This is just my opinion. I've seen most of the great action movies of our time. These are not total battles. Otherwise the Battle for Helms Deep would be tied for number one with the Battle for Gondor. Fight sequences. Whether one on one, one vs. many, two vs. many. These are my favorite action sequences ever that I could honestly watch on repeat over and over and over again. No purist martial arts movies either. Otherwise... The list would be full of Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris. Also no car chases either.

Honorable Mentions.

1. The Room- Mark vs. Johnny. The fight for Lisa's "love" is undeniable. Johnny shows that he truly has been torn apart. He may not have hit her, but he did hit him.

(In backwards order. Formatting sucks on an ipad. 1 is 10, etc).

1. Sherlock Holmes vs. Moriarty- Sherlock Holmes a Game of Shadows: The two movies themselves were sadly mediocre, as Holmes was a favorite character of mine growing up. But this fight at the end of the second movie was worth the price of admission alone. A clearly injured Holmes goes up against his intellectual equal, and they engage in a battle of wits. Both the geniuses deduce the outcome: Sherlock is going to die. Sherlock, knowing he has an underwater breathing apparatus thinks his only way out is to take Moriarty over the edge with him. As he grabs onto Moriarty, Watson walks out. Holmes suddenly has a look of regret, because he didn't realize the possibility of the fight eventually tuning into a 2 v. 1. This is easily the greatest battle, that never happened
  2. The Bride vs. The Crazy 88- Kill Bill. Truth be told, Kill Bill isn't my favorite. It's solid, but nothing overly spectacular. However, this action sequence is awesome, even if it is totally over that top. Nonetheless, it is impressive to see someone rip out somebody's eye. No matter how gruesome the subject matter is.
  3. The Elevator Scene-Captain America Winter Soldier: This is the only MCU movie fight scene on the list. Because it honestly can't be topped. The viewer gets to see the new and improved badass Captain America, as he uses his quick thinking and reflexes to win the fight even though he is incapacitated. The choreography is awesome, and it helps set the tone for the rest of what is honestly the best MCU movie.
  4. Bourne vs. Desh: The Bourne Ultimatum- Easily the best Bourne movie, and the best fight scene. Even with the shaky cam, the quick cuts make the pace rapid, and increase the tension significantly. Bourne uses his Jackie Chan esq improv ability to take down the physically superior Desh.
  5. The Nightclub Scene- John Wick and it's sequel might be two of the best action movies of all fucking time. Any action scene from either movie could be put up here, but I picked the nightclub because it's my list. Fuck you. These movies are awesome and fun.
  6. He is the one- The Matrix: Agent Smith vs. Neo is likely the greatest one on one fight in cinema's history. Martial arts and wire work? Perfect. Cinematography? Awesome. Special Effects? Awesome. Both opponents are equally matched with Neo finally reaching his true potential. It's thrilling, and will leave you in awe.
  7. "Save Martha"-Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice. This movie really sucks. No question about it. But this is the best fighting Batman we have gotten to date. He takes on 24 men with gadgets, martial arts, and what Batman is known for the best: sheer brutality. The unrated cut has him shanking someone towards the end. This is easily the best part of the movie and is arguably worth the price of admission alone. Even if most of the other movie is utter trash.
  8. Trench Warfare- Wonder Woman: I have never, ever wanted to get out of my seat for anything else, and I got to 20 or so movies a year. Wonder Woman, although not perfect, was an awesome movie. And the scenes where she is running around the city from building to building is the best comic book action sequence I have ever seen. The cuts are only made when necessary, it's well paced, and well meaning. This scene was not only worth the price of admission but made me go back a second time.
  9. Tomahawk Rescue- The Patriot. The movie is a good, not great movie, but this one scene steals the show. Heath Ledger is kidnapped by British officers. Mel Gibson's character takes his two younger sons, and the three ambush a platoon, with Mel Gibson getting avenging another son from earlier. Probably the most badass scene of all time. Mel Gibson goes total overkill, but still.
  10. Church Scene- Kingsman the Secret Service: was there ever any doubt? Easily the best action sequence to come out this past decade. You got the free bird guitar solo rocking in the background, the same over the top action from the rest of the movie, gadgets, commentary from Eggsy and Merlin. Kingsmen was a fun movie and I cannot wait for the sequel.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Watched Dunkirk this week-end with my girlfriend. Absolutely not worth the hype. I'm clearly not difficult when it comes to movies and I have rarely felt as bored, if ever.

I have read that people feel extreme tension or whatever, I didn't. How could you? You don't even know the characters, who don't really look like guys that are particularly sad or frightened by the war (more like lost kids that don't really know where they are and just try to getaway). (Except for Cillian Murphy, cause he's great). Nolan tries to do the Memento/Inception timeline thing, doesn't work. Just makes you try to put the puzzle pieces together instead of actually getting in the action (which is the only thing this movie has to offer, and again, there's nothing crazy, except if you genuinely believe they're not going to make it, and in that case you seriously need to watch more movies). Images are nice, music is Zimmer quality, but that's it really. Characters are boring as hell. Story is as simple as could be if you get past the little tricks.

I mean after an hour and a half I was still waiting for the movie to start. That just says it all.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Watched Dunkirk this week-end with my girlfriend. Absolutely not worth the hype. I'm clearly not difficult when it comes to movies and I have rarely felt as bored, if ever.

I have read that people feel extreme tension or whatever, I didn't. How could you? You don't even know the characters, who don't really look like guys that are particularly sad or frightened by the war (more like lost kids that don't really know where they are and just try to getaway). (Except for Cillian Murphy, cause he's great). Nolan tries to do the Memento/Inception timeline thing, doesn't work. Just makes you try to put the puzzle pieces together instead of actually getting in the action (which is the only thing this movie has to offer, and again, there's nothing crazy, except if you genuinely believe they're not going to make it, and in that case you seriously need to watch more movies). Images are nice, music is Zimmer quality, but that's it really. Characters are boring as hell. Story is as simple as could be if you get past the little tricks.

I mean after an hour and a half I was still waiting for the movie to start. That just says it all.

It annoyed me because some of the sequences had the opportunity to be so tense but they undermined themselves - I came out of the film instantly knowing how I'd improve it to create some empathy and tension and genuine claustrophobia

Tom hardy was great though

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
It annoyed me because some of the sequences had the opportunity to be so tense but they undermined themselves - I came out of the film instantly knowing how I'd improve it to create some empathy and tension and genuine claustrophobia

Tom hardy was great though
Yeah, I said it for Murphy but Hardy is also consistently great (has to be the Peaky Blinders effect lol).

I also had that feeling, I mean if you just knew the characters and how they came to want to escape so bad, that would do it. But no, you have to show a teenager (that also happens to look exactly like a person I know except they're polar opposite in terms of personality, that didn't help) that doesn't speak and looks consistently lost. Probably because Nolan wanted to show he was a genius at movies and he didn't need a scenario to make a good movie (which, going by the critics, worked).

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah, I said it for Murphy but Hardy is also consistently great (has to be the Peaky Blinders effect lol).

I also had that feeling, I mean if you just knew the characters and how they came to want to escape so bad, that would do it. But no, you have to show a teenager (that also happens to look exactly like a person I know except they're polar opposite in terms of personality, that didn't help) that doesn't speak and looks consistently lost. Probably because Nolan wanted to show he was a genius at movies and he didn't need a scenario to make a good movie (which, going by the critics, worked).

To be fair to Nolan he did say that he wanted to try and do something like that - my question would be why? It's not like it was a long movie - less than 2 hours - it's almost like they had more interesting contextual scenes and just decided to cut them out of the start of the movie

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
To be fair to Nolan he did say that he wanted to try and do something like that - my question would be why? It's not like it was a long movie - less than 2 hours - it's almost like they had more interesting contextual scenes and just decided to cut them out of the start of the movie
Oh ok, that's cool of him to say it from the start. I agree, feels like we're supposed to know who are the soldiers, where they're from, what they've done, or even what is going on etc... If, like me, you don't watch trailers and you don't that it's supposed to be a great escape from the start, you're a bit puzzled for a good part of the movie.

I guess it's a movie you have to see knowing what you're going to see to enjoy.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Oh ok, that's cool of him to say it from the start. I agree, feels like we're supposed to know who are the soldiers, where they're from, what they've done, or even what is going on etc... If, like me, you don't watch trailers and you don't that it's supposed to be a great escape from the start, you're a bit puzzled for a good part of the movie.

I guess it's a movie you have to see knowing what you're going to see to enjoy.

Trailers didn't really help me to be honest
It's a really frustrating film to watch because it feels really close to being something incredibly special and epic and yet it falls completely flat at times

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Trailers didn't really help me to be honest
It's a really frustrating film to watch because it feels really close to being something incredibly special and epic and yet it falls completely flat at times
So true... Honestly I loved the Dark Knights, Interstellar was a huge success on my part, I'm a fan of Cillian Murphy and Tom Hardy, listen to Hans Zimmer's music at work... This movie had it all to make me love it.

usmccharles

Practice Squad
Top ten greatest action sequences in movies of all time(my opinion).

This is just my opinion. I've seen most of the great action movies of our time. These are not total battles. Otherwise the Battle for Helms Deep would be tied for number one with the Battle for Gondor. Fight sequences. Whether one on one, one vs. many, two vs. many. These are my favorite action sequences ever that I could honestly watch on repeat over and over and over again. No purist martial arts movies either. Otherwise... The list would be full of Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris. Also no car chases either.

Before i start, how excited are your for the new Bruce Lee movie, i can not freaking wait. This list would be fun to do with martial arts movies. I need to watch Blood Sport again.

I would definitely agree with John Wick and Kill Bill scenes. I would also add in the John Wick home invasion, that really set the tone for that movie, easily one of my favorites.

I will however disagree with the Matrix scene that you picked, i just am not a fan of the flying around, but it was extremely well done and looked great. I would add in the stair case fight in Matrix Reloaded, i thought that was insanely entertaining.

I dont know if this is in your criteria (since its a purist movie), but i have to put in Rocky vs Drago, i dont care how cheesy it is.

Equilibrium has some amazing fight scenes.

Achilles vs Hector- I havent seen Troy in forever but that was a great fight.

Hunted- With Tommy Lee Jones, there was a knife fight in that movie that was short but very intense.

The Equalizer with Denzel, the first fight scene at the Russian restaurant

Taken- too many to list for me

I definitely feel like im missing one very important one, damnit, it will come to me

I watched The Burbs last night, classic movie. I haven't seen it in a while so I figured why not?

Some of my favorite fight scenes:

The teahouse fight in Fearless

The long kitchen fight in Raid 2

Final fight in Once Upon a Time in China 2

Alleyway and final fights in Killzone