• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Movie Thread

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Top ten greatest action sequences in movies of all time(my opinion).

This is just my opinion. I've seen most of the great action movies of our time. These are not total battles. Otherwise the Battle for Helms Deep would be tied for number one with the Battle for Gondor. Fight sequences. Whether one on one, one vs. many, two vs. many. These are my favorite action sequences ever that I could honestly watch on repeat over and over and over again. No purist martial arts movies either. Otherwise... The list would be full of Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris. Also no car chases either.

Honorable Mentions.

1. The Room- Mark vs. Johnny. The fight for Lisa's "love" is undeniable. Johnny shows that he truly has been torn apart. He may not have hit her, but he did hit him.

(In backwards order. Formatting sucks on an ipad. 1 is 10, etc).

1. Sherlock Holmes vs. Moriarty- Sherlock Holmes a Game of Shadows: The two movies themselves were sadly mediocre, as Holmes was a favorite character of mine growing up. But this fight at the end of the second movie was worth the price of admission alone. A clearly injured Holmes goes up against his intellectual equal, and they engage in a battle of wits. Both the geniuses deduce the outcome: Sherlock is going to die. Sherlock, knowing he has an underwater breathing apparatus thinks his only way out is to take Moriarty over the edge with him. As he grabs onto Moriarty, Watson walks out. Holmes suddenly has a look of regret, because he didn't realize the possibility of the fight eventually tuning into a 2 v. 1. This is easily the greatest battle, that never happened
  2. The Bride vs. The Crazy 88- Kill Bill. Truth be told, Kill Bill isn't my favorite. It's solid, but nothing overly spectacular. However, this action sequence is awesome, even if it is totally over that top. Nonetheless, it is impressive to see someone rip out somebody's eye. No matter how gruesome the subject matter is.
  3. The Elevator Scene-Captain America Winter Soldier: This is the only MCU movie fight scene on the list. Because it honestly can't be topped. The viewer gets to see the new and improved badass Captain America, as he uses his quick thinking and reflexes to win the fight even though he is incapacitated. The choreography is awesome, and it helps set the tone for the rest of what is honestly the best MCU movie.
  4. Bourne vs. Desh: The Bourne Ultimatum- Easily the best Bourne movie, and the best fight scene. Even with the shaky cam, the quick cuts make the pace rapid, and increase the tension significantly. Bourne uses his Jackie Chan esq improv ability to take down the physically superior Desh.
  5. The Nightclub Scene- John Wick and it's sequel might be two of the best action movies of all fucking time. Any action scene from either movie could be put up here, but I picked the nightclub because it's my list. Fuck you. These movies are awesome and fun.
  6. He is the one- The Matrix: Agent Smith vs. Neo is likely the greatest one on one fight in cinema's history. Martial arts and wire work? Perfect. Cinematography? Awesome. Special Effects? Awesome. Both opponents are equally matched with Neo finally reaching his true potential. It's thrilling, and will leave you in awe.
  7. "Save Martha"-Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice. This movie really sucks. No question about it. But this is the best fighting Batman we have gotten to date. He takes on 24 men with gadgets, martial arts, and what Batman is known for the best: sheer brutality. The unrated cut has him shanking someone towards the end. This is easily the best part of the movie and is arguably worth the price of admission alone. Even if most of the other movie is utter trash.
  8. Trench Warfare- Wonder Woman: I have never, ever wanted to get out of my seat for anything else, and I got to 20 or so movies a year. Wonder Woman, although not perfect, was an awesome movie. And the scenes where she is running around the city from building to building is the best comic book action sequence I have ever seen. The cuts are only made when necessary, it's well paced, and well meaning. This scene was not only worth the price of admission but made me go back a second time.
  9. Tomahawk Rescue- The Patriot. The movie is a good, not great movie, but this one scene steals the show. Heath Ledger is kidnapped by British officers. Mel Gibson's character takes his two younger sons, and the three ambush a platoon, with Mel Gibson getting avenging another son from earlier. Probably the most badass scene of all time. Mel Gibson goes total overkill, but still.
  10. Church Scene- Kingsman the Secret Service: was there ever any doubt? Easily the best action sequence to come out this past decade. You got the free bird guitar solo rocking in the background, the same over the top action from the rest of the movie, gadgets, commentary from Eggsy and Merlin. Kingsmen was a fun movie and I cannot wait for the sequel.
I kind of like movies and fight scenes like you described in The Patriot. I guess I feel a certain connection with characters that want to live their life and not be screwed with. I loved Clint Eastwood in Unforgiven because I can relate at the end of that movie when he showed no mercy because no one deserved it. I liked his line in Gran Torino when he said to some punks something to the effect, you ever come across someone you probably shouldn't have screwed with?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Clint Eastwood is awesome "Go Ahead, Make My Day"

He has become a very good director, but I loved him as Dirty Harry

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
haha - completely forgot he was in that film - benicio del toro as well - its an absolute classic back when guy ritchie made great movies
I don't remember Del Toro ever being treated as an idiot the way he was in Snatch, it was hilarious.
I do like Ritchie's movies still. The Sherlock Holmes were OK, and I really enjoyed Arthur.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don't remember Del Toro ever being treated as an idiot the way he was in Snatch, it was hilarious.
I do like Ritchie's movies still. The Sherlock Holmes were OK, and I really enjoyed Arthur.
the thing i love most about lock, stock and two smoking barrels and snatch is that they essentially started mathew vaughan's career which led to him directing daniel craig in layer cake which is a brilliant film that catapulted both vaughan and craig into public consciousness

without snatch and lock, stock, we wouldn't have the daniel craig bond films and we wouldnt have films like kick ass and kingsman or even x-men first class (which i still really like), and even stardust i like too

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Clint Eastwood is awesome "Go Ahead, Make My Day"

He has become a very good director, but I loved him as Dirty Harry
Dirty Harry is my favorite movie. I still get upset with the District Attorney throwing out his case because of Harry not getting a search warrant. Exigent circumstances is an exception to the warrant rule and you could make a serious argument an emergency existed. Plus he was had Scorpio on the attempted murder of his partner Chico and aggravated assault on him. That District Attorney would have Been tossed out his window if he would have threw out my case.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm binge watching Game of Thrones. Never seen it before but I wanted to watch it to see what all of the hype was about. I'm on Season 3.

Note: Umm, no need for anyone to quote this post of mine to tell me how awesome the show is or to post "spoiler alert" tabs. I will not be coming back to view this thread UNTIL I've finished all 7 seasons of GOT. Peace!
:D

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I'm binge watching Game of Thrones. Never seen it before but I wanted to watch it to see what all of the hype was about. I'm on Season 3.

Note: Umm, no need for anyone to quote this post of mine to tell me how awesome the show is or to post "spoiler alert" tabs. I will not be coming back to view this thread UNTIL I've finished all 7 seasons of GOT. Peace!
:D
I've heard that Season 4 is the breakout season ;)

*I haven't watched it, so I don't know if this is true or not.

You can still read this thread, just don't read the one that says favorite tv shows. ^_^

Blade Runner 2049 is one of it not the most impressive movies Ive ever seen, it does run long though so you need an appreciation for the first film. Also make sure you see the directors cut not the theater cut, the voiceover exposotion is the worst Ive ever heard.

Ludy51

Hall of Famer
Blade Runner 2049 is one of it not the most impressive movies Ive ever seen, it does run long though so you need an appreciation for the first film. Also make sure you see the directors cut not the theater cut, the voiceover exposotion is the worst Ive ever heard.
haha ive seen it twice already - its an instant classic - we accidentally talked about it a little bit on the tv thread (which really needs renaming to avoid confusion)
It's seriously my new favorite movie of all time. And with the benefits of working at a movie theatre I got an absolutely huge poster right after watching it from a manager.
I'll post a picture of it later

It really left the stratosphere in this scene:
When Decker is taken to Wallace's office and just about every scene after blew me away
[/Spoiler]