• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Movie Thread

usmccharles

Practice Squad
I brought this up along time and there was one poster here who has seen it and is still the only other person i have come across thats seen it: A Man from Earth. Very low budget, simple story about if a man has lived for 14,000 years. The dialogue is amazing. I recommend

Watched Parasite, thought it was fantastic. Not a fan of subtitles, but it was worth it. Its a wild ride. I went in knowing nothing and it was worth it.

Oscars tonight. Not that i care who wins but ill take some guesses and my picks

Best Pic- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (i agree, but could see 1917 winning)
Best Supporting Actor- Pitt (i agree)
Best Actor- Phoenix in Joker (agree)
Cinematography- 1917
Foreign Film- Parasite. A foreign film has never won an oscar

Ludy51

Hall of Famer
I brought this up along time and there was one poster here who has seen it and is still the only other person i have come across thats seen it: A Man from Earth. Very low budget, simple story about if a man has lived for 14,000 years. The dialogue is amazing. I recommend

Watched Parasite, thought it was fantastic. Not a fan of subtitles, but it was worth it. Its a wild ride. I went in knowing nothing and it was worth it.

Oscars tonight. Not that i care who wins but ill take some guesses and my picks

Best Pic- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (i agree, but could see 1917 winning)
Best Supporting Actor- Pitt (i agree)
Best Actor- Phoenix in Joker (agree)
Cinematography- 1917
Foreign Film- Parasite. A foreign film has never won an oscar
Hey that was me! Probably my favorite example of a movie entirely reliable on its dialogue that isnt Sorkin-esque snappy on every line.

Ludy51

Hall of Famer
I forgot how good Arrival is.

Denis Villeneuve is still the best director working today. Cannot wait for Dune in a few months

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I forgot how good Arrival is.

Denis Villeneuve is still the best director working today. Cannot wait for Dune in a few months

i also watched that the other day - it's a stunning film - for me certainly one of the best films of the decade

he and Rian Johnson are currently working at a level that's just a cut above everyone else - we're talking about two young auteurs which it's hard to be in this era of film-making

i really hope dune is good

rossihunter2

Staff Member
KNIVES OUT: THE SOCIAL DISTANCING CUT

ET0w39TUUAER9SA

ET0xeRzUwAAHJbs

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Was that first pic edited?

yes - but by the knives out social team (so likely have access to the original marketing image in its element form for the high quality edit) - pretty sure the original had the characters as a separate composite because of that dark shading at the bottom (which you can still see on the original but layered behind the characters)

here's the original version:

815VcVGnyAL._AC_SL1481_.jpg

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer

Tbh, I think ROTS is my favorite Star Wars movie. Favorite moment was the Battle of Coruscant.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

Tbh, I think ROTS is my favorite Star Wars movie. Favorite moment was the Battle of Coruscant.

it is ageing really well as time goes on - the music, the tragedy, the politics are so brilliantly done - but it also has the benefit now of the clone wars tv series filling out some of those characters and moments between AOTC and ROTS which only increases the tragedy

It's my 3rd favourite star wars film right now and by far my favourite of the prequel trilogy (my top 3 interestingly come from all 3 trilogies)

favourite part of revenge of the sith has got to be the order 66 montage and then anakin marching into the temple

i think its interesting though how over time, people's perceptions of the different star wars films changes as they get further removed and as the next generation of people grow up with a different trilogy, their idea of what star wars is will be different

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
it is ageing really well as time goes on - the music, the tragedy, the politics are so brilliantly done - but it also has the benefit now of the clone wars tv series filling out some of those characters and moments between AOTC and ROTS which only increases the tragedy

It's my 3rd favourite star wars film right now and by far my favourite of the prequel trilogy (my top 3 interestingly come from all 3 trilogies)

favourite part of revenge of the sith has got to be the order 66 montage and then anakin marching into the temple

i think its interesting though how over time, people's perceptions of the different star wars films changes as they get further removed and as the next generation of people grow up with a different trilogy, their idea of what star wars is will be different
I've become obsessed with the music recently because I needed something fun to listen to while I was studying. I've always liked ROTS, but the Clone Wars made it so much better.

I almost wish Lucas wasn't limited by the trilogy format for the prequels. I think they might've hit a lot better for people if there had been a movie between 2 and 3 dedicated to showing how great a Jedi Anakin had become and what the relationship between the Jedi and clones was like. But then we don't have the tv show, so I'm ok with how it turned out.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I've become obsessed with the music recently because I needed something fun to listen to while I was studying. I've always liked ROTS, but the Clone Wars made it so much better.

I almost wish Lucas wasn't limited by the trilogy format for the prequels. I think they might've hit a lot better for people if there had been a movie between 2 and 3 dedicated to showing how great a Jedi Anakin had become and what the relationship between the Jedi and clones was like. But then we don't have the tv show, so I'm ok with how it turned out.

what the prequels did really well (albeit with some clunky story beats and zany campy moments throughout) was demonstrate how easily a democracy could slowly fall into comfortable authoritarianism and also demonstrate how fallible the jedi are as a "religious" order and their apparent ownership of the force

the force is a democratised nebulous thing that you tap into - but you're not supposed to bend it to your will and the jedi got too focussed on politics and religious doctrine that they lost the reason behind what they were teaching

i think it's a really interesting story

in terms of needing that extra film - i dont know that i would have liked that - holes in the story arent always going to be filled and im glad about that

Ludy51

Hall of Famer
"Just Mercy" is free to rent in the US. If you're the kind of person who just wants to watch movies for the sake of a movie instead of outside influences like me, I would still say watch it because its just that good of a film.