• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Movie Thread

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
she was the only even moderately ok thing about sicario 2 lol
and she kinda has me intrigued by dora the explorer the live action movie lol
I didn't realize she was in the live action Dora when I was first watching, and I kept thinking how much she looked like Dora.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm going with John Wick.

I mean I’m going to watch both - did a dissertation at the end of my degree about the wachowskis so no way I’m missing matrix 4

It’s so interesting the way their films are reflections of their personal life experiences at that particular time but especially the matrix films - the first one is basically an allegory for their experiences as transwomen (despite not having transitioned yet or come out publicly yet)

And cloud atlas is one of my favourite films of all time

So I’ll be seeing both

I mean I’m going to watch both - did a dissertation at the end of my degree about the wachowskis so no way I’m missing matrix 4

It’s so interesting the way their films are reflections of their personal life experiences at that particular time but especially the matrix films - the first one is basically an allegory for their experiences as transwomen (despite not having transitioned yet or come out publicly yet)

And cloud atlas is one of my favourite films of all time

So I’ll be seeing both

You have a PhD on the Matrix?! Family friend was the art director on that.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Alrighty, @rossihunter2 , I await your review/thoughts on Episode IX.

i have lots of thoughts

I really was not a fan - which is really odd because ive not come across a star wars movie that i didnt love even for all their faults (i can find moments i love in the prequels and appreciate the storytelling even if the execution is awful at times among other things) but TROS felt like a complete mess of storytelling and storytelling ideas mixed with weird retcons of the previous film and plot points that ignored everything that came before except the original trilogy - some of those plot moments literally made me sigh in the theatre which is not something i would have expected in any star wars film - it could have done lots of things and i would have enjoyed it but i honestly really didnt like it

a major problem is the character arcs (or lack thereof) - the only character in this film with an arc is ben solo and his redemption except he's basically relegated to a secondary character despite clearly being the joint lead in the previous two films - after his turn back towards the light side he literally doesnt have a single line of dialogue in the final cut which is outrageous...

but rey doesnt have an arc - in fact she ends up right back where she started on a desert alone only this time its a desert that has zero meaning to her character - why is she on tatooine?

there's lots of moments like that in the film that just feel like they were written by reddit for nostalgia reasons but failing to realise what actually makes the mythology and poetry of star wars actually work

ive got too many thoughts to really spill all of them here in one go - i feel fairly erratic but i can sum up by mostly saying i found it disappointing and frustrating - especially as someone who absolutely adored TLJ and TFA - it feels like TROS has sullied those films and what they were doing and what i loved about them

they often say a great sequel adds depth and substance to the material that it follows - this film objectively ignores and in some ways completely deligitimises the choices made in the previous 2 films in the trilogy

i think it's quite telling that jj wrote this with the same screenwriter who wrote batman vs superman - because some of the character work and plotting feels similarly hollow

that's not to say that i begrudge others enjoying it - dont get me wrong if you or anyone else liked or loved it then carry on in that fashion - im jealous of all the people who loved the film because i wish i did too

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Underwater looks like the South Park episode when BP unleashes Cthulhu