• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Whom Would You Draft @16?

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
On offense definitely oline with McGlinchy being my choice. On defense Josh Jackson. Cant have enough cb's

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
If available, Ridley or Nelson, but neither will be, so realistically...

Mark Andrews, that's right I said it. Mark Andrews is nothing short of an elite TE and represents a bigger upgrade than literally any other offensive player who will realistically be available. He's a very good athlete, not elite speed, but very good, however his quickness and suddenness is elite, he's a TE who moves like a possession receiver with his stop and go and his routes. He plays the ball at an elite level with stellar hands, tracking, body control, and highpointing. He is literally the most ideal receiving TE you can find.

On defense I'm torn but I'll say Derwin James. I like james' length and athleticism to man cover TEs and bring the heat off the edge with the zone blitz which we are so fond of, what tony and weddle lack in explosion he has in spades which will make those blitzes more effective and allow him to get home often. There isn't a TE in the league he can't run step for step with and has the physicality to man up at any level with them, I haven't diagnosed his ball skills yet though. What I hear about his locker room presence really intrigues me, an alpha male enforcer at safety who commands respect from the whole team is something that gives us an identity we lack, and his dynamic explosive play fills a major need.

So for me, it's Andrews and James, with guice and rashaan Evans being the runner ups.

U like Evans better than Roquan??

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I have no clue cause I haven't followed all of these young players throughout the year. I'll watch some clips of them on Youtube and get back to ya!

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
U like Evans better than Roquan??
I can't exactly say that because I see them differently. First of all I think roquan isn't falling past the redskins at worst, second I see Evans as more of a mover, Jamie Collins type, he is primarily inside but he plays an edge and off-ball outside role very well, brings an edge rush, brings a mean blitz, good coverage. I feel roquan is more of a good angle/pursuit tackling machine. I love roquans film, and I like it better than Evans and think he'll be a better player overall, but I like that Evans brings some of that versatile playmaker style to our front, plus I think roquan is gone before we pick.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Give me Mike McGlinchey or trade back since neither Nelson nor Ridley will likely be there. Trade back and take Wynn or Billy Price. I like both about the same so either would do. Wouldn't hate Guice either if he's there even though I think Collins is a good starting back.

@JoeyFlex5 I like Derwin James but I swear to god if we take a fucking safety of all the fucking needs on the team that I will go to the castle and strangle Ozzie with an Alabama Jersey. I'd be less furious with Da'Ron Payne or Evans.. We better go fucking offense or Ozzie is more dead to me than he is already.

@Ravensnation5220 Yeah.. No. He's not the athlete OJ Howard or David Njoku is but to call him an average athlete is just insulting. He's easily above average on the field, but that's not the kind of player you're getting with him. There are things he can do that you just can't teach. Finding soft spots in the zone and his ability to set up cuts and other moves in the open field is Jason Witten esq, and honestly Andrews is a lot more athletic than Witten was in his heyday. Andrews' athleticism is more comparable to a Kyle Rudolph or a Tyler Eifert. Above average, but not elite. I don't think he's worth the pick at 16.. But I'd say he's a first rounder. He's one of the more pro ready TEs I've ever scouted. He's a complete package with no discernible weaknesses and above average athleticism.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
It will likely be a tackle. Probably needs to be an oline selection given the class and who will likely be On the board at sixteen.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Give me Mike McGlinchey or trade back since neither Nelson nor Ridley will likely be there. Trade back and take Wynn or Billy Price. I like both about the same so either would do. Wouldn't hate Guice either if he's there even though I think Collins is a good starting back.

@JoeyFlex5 I like Derwin James but I swear to god if we take a fucking safety of all the fucking needs on the team that I will go to the castle and strangle Ozzie with an Alabama Jersey. I'd be less furious with Da'Ron Payne or Evans.. We better go fucking offense or Ozzie is more dead to me than he is already.

@Ravensnation5220 Yeah.. No. He's not the athlete OJ Howard or David Njoku is but to call him an average athlete is just insulting. He's easily above average on the field, but that's not the kind of player you're getting with him. There are things he can do that you just can't teach. Finding soft spots in the zone and his ability to set up cuts and other moves in the open field is Jason Witten esq, and honestly Andrews is a lot more athletic than Witten was in his heyday. Andrews' athleticism is more comparable to a Kyle Rudolph or a Tyler Eifert. Above average, but not elite. I don't think he's worth the pick at 16.. But I'd say he's a first rounder. He's one of the more pro ready TEs I've ever scouted. He's a complete package with no discernible weaknesses and above average athleticism.
I'll take mcglinchey and guice at 16 too but he asked for one lol, Andrews is just too much of a sure thing and a big addition to a weak passing game.

And for James, I'm thinking of what we lack and what we'll need in the future, weddle isn't a long term answer and we will need an explosive guy with range and James has that despite not being the most refined guy we've ever seen, and he fits the mantra of safeties who can do it all that we like, so having a guy with his personality and impressive traits who can play multiple safety roles at a high level is appealing to me. But I do understand not wanting to keep adding to the secondary...

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Im not sure ill ever see the potential with Andrews. Everyone says hes great at fimding soft spots in the zone but those spots were more like craters in the Big12. I think he has soft hands and runs good routes but where is he gonna get his seperation? Hes not really that big and he doesnt really threaten you with his speed? I just dont see it with Andrews, besides his range seems to be late 1st early 2nd so im not sure we will have a chance at him. Id much rather Gesicki anyways

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Wouldn't it better to strangle him with an LSU jersey? I'm not as against signing Derwin James if he falls to 16, but that of course depends on what offensive lineman or WR are available at that point. If he's higher on the board, but not that much higher, I'd prefer OL / WR.
Besides, we do have a need at Safety. It may not be an immediate need for 2018, but for 2019 we may definitely need a safety.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Wouldn't it better to strangle him with an LSU jersey? I'm not as against signing Derwin James if he falls to 16, but that of course depends on what offensive lineman or WR are available at that point. If he's higher on the board, but not that much higher, I'd prefer OL / WR.
Besides, we do have a need at Safety. It may not be an immediate need for 2018, but for 2019 we may definitely need a safety.
This team can not afford to look ahead to the future. We want to win and we are in win now mode. If we were in a position where we couldn’t turn the team around then I’d be in favor of drafting him. But we are not. If we truly give a damn about winning we need to fix this offense. Weddle will do for another season and so will Jefferson. We can cross that bridge if we get there.

Otherwise Ozzie can get the foh

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
This team can not afford to look ahead to the future. We want to win and we are in win now mode. If we were in a position where we couldn’t turn the team around then I’d be in favor of drafting him. But we are not. If we truly give a damn about winning we need to fix this offense. Weddle will do for another season and so will Jefferson. We can cross that bridge if we get there.

Otherwise Ozzie can get the foh
How would drafting a top 10 talent like James not help? With James we would matchup better with TEs due to his size. Remember, weddle and jefferson are both under 6 feet and James is listed at 6'3. Hes a more violent hitter and would definetly lay the boom on a guy like Bell. Bell ran over weddle and jefferson on multiple occassions. Derwin James would also be the most athletic player on our entire team. Hes a freak and will blow up the combine so odds are he shouldnt be ther at 16. To pass on a talent like James is just stupid. Its like passing on Jamal Adams last year, only thing is Derwin isnt as polished comming out but they both bring leadership and attitude.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
How would drafting a top 10 talent like James not help? With James we would matchup better with TEs due to his size. Remember, weddle and jefferson are both under 6 feet and James is listed at 6'3. Hes a more violent hitter and would definetly lay the boom on a guy like Bell. Bell ran over weddle and jefferson on multiple occassions. Derwin James would also be the most athletic player on our entire team. Hes a freak and will blow up the combine so odds are he shouldnt be ther at 16. To pass on a talent like James is just stupid. Its like passing on Jamal Adams last year, only thing is Derwin isnt as polished comming out but they both bring leadership and attitude.
Let me rephrase it for you..

We..are..fucking..desperate. And safety is not the problem with the team.

We HAVE to go offense. Weddle is getting older and Jefferson may have been underwhelming last season but that can turn around and Weddle has a year or two left. They weren't the problem, no matter how people want to spin it. Weddle screwed up at the end, but he wasn't the issue for the entirity of the season. Defense as a whole is FINE. James would not be starting immediately. Safety is not an immediate need, nor should it be. Almost all of the teams needs are on offense. Safety isn't even the third biggest need on the defensive side of the ball, and while Weddle is getting older, safeties can play a long time, and his game has far more to do with instincts and positioning than athleticism.

I like James too. He's a good prospect. So if he's there we should trade back and get a king's ransom and go get offensive depth. Safety will be a need in 1-2 years. We can cross that bridge when we get there. We need to focus on the present. We have needs on the offensive side of the ball that cannot be ignored. AGAIN. This would be like the Cheifs taking another QB early this year after Mahomes showed promise. Overkill is a thing. We do not need to go safety early. That would not turn us into a playoff team again. Smh

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Let me rephrase it for you..

We..are..fucking..desperate. And safety is not the problem with the team.

We HAVE to go offense. Weddle is getting older and Jefferson may have been underwhelming last season but that can turn around and Weddle has a year or two left. They weren't the problem, no matter how people want to spin it. Weddle screwed up at the end, but he wasn't the issue for the entirity of the season. Defense as a whole is FINE. James would not be starting immediately. Safety is not an immediate need, nor should it be. Almost all of the teams needs are on offense. Safety isn't even the third biggest need on the defensive side of the ball, and while Weddle is getting older, safeties can play a long time, and his game has far more to do with instincts and positioning than athleticism.

I like James too. He's a good prospect. So if he's there we should trade back and get a king's ransom and go get offensive depth. Safety will be a need in 1-2 years. We can cross that bridge when we get there. We need to focus on the present. We have needs on the offensive side of the ball that cannot be ignored. AGAIN. This would be like the Cheifs taking another QB early this year after Mahomes showed promise. Overkill is a thing. We do not need to go safety early. That would not turn us into a playoff team again. Smh
Ok so. Im doing a mock and im sitting with us at 16 with Josh Jackson, Vita Vea, Da'Ron Payne on the board as BPA.....Guice is gone, and the best QB left is Lamar Jackson so odds are we wont be able to trade down. Davenport is available, and Mcglinchey was the only tackle taken. We would basically have to make a choice from a Corner, 2 DTs, 2 OTs, and a bunch of guys who arent worth the #16 pick. Im so fucking stumped.......i dont want to pick an OT :crying:

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Ok so. Im doing a mock and im sitting with us at 16 with Josh Jackson, Vita Vea, Da'Ron Payne on the board as BPA.....Guice is gone, and the best QB left is Lamar Jackson so odds are we wont be able to trade down. Davenport is available, and Mcglinchey was the only tackle taken. We would basically have to make a choice from a Corner, 2 DTs, 2 OTs, and a bunch of guys who arent worth the #16 pick. Im so fucking stumped.......i dont want to pick an OT :crying:
You trade back and then take the OT. Lamar Jackson is there so you’ll have a taker. DT is off the board. Joshua Jackson would be a solid pick but you’ll have a king’s ransom for the heisman QB.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
You trade back and then take the OT. Lamar Jackson is there so you’ll have a taker. DT is off the board. Joshua Jackson would be a solid pick but you’ll have a king’s ransom for the heisman QB.
Thats what im thinking. Or a team could possibly value Josh Jackson that high if they truly need a corner. What do you think the Bills would offer us to go from 21 to 16 and draft lamar jackson cause i may go that route in my mock. An extra 4th round pick to move up 5 spots make sense?

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Holy crap! Never mind dude! The bills have picks in each of the first three rounds! They have the ammo to trade up into the top 10 or even 5 to be honest with you. I think they are going to go all in and get to the top of the draft for a qb....probably before we even pick

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Thats what im thinking. Or a team could possibly value Josh Jackson that high if they truly need a corner. What do you think the Bills would offer us to go from 21 to 16 and draft lamar jackson cause i may go that route in my mock. An extra 4th round pick to move up 5 spots make sense?
I wouldn’t do it for less than a 3rd